• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Display site] Wattpad

Princess Amps

Writer Chick
Registered
Reaction score
I have a question more about display sites in general. Once you get published, should you consider deleting your stories from these sites?

nkkingston

Bemused Girl
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.solelyfictional.org
Hi! What if you entered your story as rated "R" or whatever as then only readers 17 and older can read it. Would that be proper etiquette to do that? I think my story is PG13 instead but there's a lot of room for age ratings and what story should be rated as such. Maybe 17 and older readers would be angry thinking it doesn't seem to fit the "R" rating. I'd just like to post a story for older readers there thinking that out of 30 million there must be some older readers, right?

Sincerely,
Winfred

If Wattpad thinks your work is over 17, it'll switch it to mature and privatise the chapter. It's some kind of automated system. Private chapters are only visible to friends on there, and you have to ask the support team to de-privatise them if you want it to be publicly visible again.

It did it to me on something I didn't think was that strong, and it was a real faff getting it reset. I still don't know what set it off: it's clearly an automated system, but the language in that chapter was milder than some of the previous ones. I don't know if it's cumulative, or if it's smart enough to see through euphemisms.

Last edited:

Winfred

Registered
Reaction score
Hi!

Thanks to all who contributed here as it was part of my deciding to post my novel at Wattpad. I was figuring out of (what I read) about 32 million readers now (I forgot the percent of those that are writers too, definitely a smaller percentage) there would be a few older readers, older meaning any age from 17 to seniors. After two weeks and putting my story first in General Fiction for a week then in Sci-Fi now for about the last week I've only had 32 reads. Where one goes up in the Wattpad rankings is if you get "Votes" and "Comments". I've only had one vote and zero comments ha! That was the result even when just before they read my Chapter One, and now with Chapter Two too I note for readers to if they like my story to vote. I also state that comments help too with Wattpad scoring. So even that didn't help.

I've read other stories and commented and voted. A girl... forgot her age... I think 15 responded to comments I made and said she was going to dedicate a chapter to me, which was sweet of her... yet her title and cover attracted me. I realized it was a romance for teens. I forced myself to read it because I felt sorry for her having so few votes and comments. Also this other writer I thought was a writer from another country who knew some English but had problems with it yet enough to get a story at least rolling along. I commented and remain always in positives yet try to leave some food for thought. Again it was a romance kind of and forcing myself to read it. So once the author PM'ed I asked some how-to question with Wattpad and he answered it. It was after a couple of more emails he said he was 13!! He had very professional covers too I'd imagine one would have to pay a lot to have made. I finally found a guy who seemed to be in his forties, a pro musician who wanted to write. He was good and I commented and voted but that was a week or more ago.

Wattpad has a nice option for "Demographics". Of the 32 readers 25% are females, the other 75% are "Private" which I think means that they didn't want to reveal their age to Wattpad. In age range it is 25% are 18-25 and 25% are 45 and older, and 50% are "Private". They also have a world map that shows readers from anywhere in the world who might have read your story, which is a nice feature too. For me 75% are American and 25% are Canadian.

My protag is a 17 yr old girl and her both spiritual/intellectual journey and the adventure that ensues, yet I don't see younger teens interested as some of my sentences are long and using metaphor etc. and at times lyrical. I try to find a novel to read and vote and comment on and I can look for a whole hour and only find maybe two that seem to be by authors who are not writing stories involving teenage love interest or anime or fan fiction... which is perfectly fine, yet not for me... and also the fantasy area is very popular. So my trying to find writers older than teens or not in Romance, Fanfiction, Fantasy etc. hasn't worked well at Wattpad. Also writers who are careful about grammar and spelling and not just seeming to in one sitting start typing and not proof their own work...or ones that do and advertise to be critics or editors I've found blatant grammatical errors with and teen themed stories. Sorry this is to long!

The nice thing though for what I'm hoping for in Wattpad is readers rather than other writers could read my story. I should have realized in advance that a sea of 32 million and hoping to find authors who are older is much more difficult than I imagined. Two weeks in though I'm still "new" and more to learn about the "Clubs" at the site. I have contributed too with votes and comments. It takes time and a lot of effort. It is posting your writing for no pay though, yet can be a testing grounds. I still think it's a good site in certain genres and so far mainly for teens but keep my fingers crossed serious writers who are older are hidden somewhere in the vast population there. I don't know if Wattpad features a whole novel if the copyright is always reverting to the author or not. Since it's all free posting I think it serves too as a site where a writer doesn't feel so alone. That's something I don't need but millions do. I think it's worth a try as it's free and if you don't I think publish your whole novel other traditional or regular (?)... publishers I don't think would reject you for already having published online... at least I think they wouldn't as long as it's not the whole novel. Does anyone have input on that? Hope I helped someone.

Kindest Regards,
Winfred

Last edited:

morrighan

Always writing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lizmadridauthor.com
It might seem that there are not that many older writers and readers on the site but there are, you just have to find them. I'm Morrighansmuse on there and you can check out my reading list to see the stories I follow, most if not all of them written by older adults since I don't read YA much. Harlequin recently partnered with Wattpad for their SYTYCW competition and that brought in a lot of older writers into Wattpad, some who are doing well with their reads and votes, and rankings. Search SYTYCW15 and you'll find the stories.

I couldn't figure out exactly what you were saying (no paragraph breaks totally messes up my brain) or what your story category is other than it's about a 17yo girl on a spiritual/intellectual journey, but General Fiction is a tough category to put your stories in, unless you don't want it to be found at all only because some writers game the system by putting their Romance stories in there so it ranks higher, thus kicking out any actual General fiction stories out of the first 1000 spots. Have you tried Spiritual? Somehow I missed where you posted your book on your post above, so I'm as lost as you are finding your story.

I don't know what to tell you about finding readers for your stories other than to stay with it. Getting your story noticed doesn't happen overnight, not even 2 weeks or 2 months, although I have seen people get to the top 10 in 6 months by being active in the clubs, reading and commenting on books that actually interest them, not the books they're only hoping to get exchange reads from. That just never works.

As far as publishing your whole novel on there, I see authors putting up their full novels on there, some edited for content with an outside link directing readers to Amazon to purchase their books. I've purchased a few that way instead of waiting for the next installment, and also to support the writer when I enjoy their story. Some authors also just post the sample of a handful of chapters and I've done that for my novel as well.

There are also publishers on Wattpad, Harlequin being one of them, and Sourcebooks and just last week, Gallery books (imprint of Simon &Schuster, I think) held a short story competition where the winner got a publishing contract and that went to someone I know.

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not that familiar with Wattpad, though I have an account there (not posted anything yet though, and not sure I will.) What are issues?

And whatever happened to that One Direction fanfic that was on there, the one that got slightly revised (names changed) for major publication?

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
I'm on there - mostly in the Fantasy or Industry Insider Clubs

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I think when NaNo is over, I'm going to post some other things. It's a hard balance, choosing things that I'm proud enough of to display (NaNo experiment, notwithstanding) but that I'm not still hoping will one day be trade published. I know some books do go from Wattpad to being picked up by a legit publisher, but I don't expect that to happen to anything of mine.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
And whatever happened to that One Direction fanfic that was on there, the one that got slightly revised (names changed) for major publication?

The book is "After" by Anna Todd. It was published and there are several books in the series. Not my thing, so I haven't read them, but it looks like the author is doing okay.

Winfred

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Morrighan!

Very nice of you to take such time for your very informed background and also extending your help. I'm definitely going to go to your "page" I guess they would call it at Wattpad. I will look in the area you mention for older writers only I never read Romance... that's a problem but will try out visiting that area. I'll try that SYTYCW15 and see what that is. Is that enough of a keyword? I don't mean to make you type it out... but what does that stand for?

My novel is titled, "The Silver Slipper Affair", and involves a 17 yr old girl who is on a spiritual/intellectual journey through both her knowledge of science and also sounding a bit "crazy" to her boyfriend yet to keep an evil man from harming America with the supernatural powers this girl believes the slippers have. She steals the 1.3 million dollar diamond studded slippers and takes off, goes "underground" so to speak, best she can... in order to make it to a very special place where she believes she can prove the slippers supernatural powers. It sounds like it's immature but actually I guess what I could call serious life themes come about. Since my story involves renowned scientist Nicola Tesla and other somewhat technical scientific concepts it fringes on Science Fiction simply because it involves some things that are yet to be "invented" or actualized. A staff person who had not read my story at Wattpad said that alone then places my story in the "Science Fiction" category since it deals with that which is yet to be discovered.

It's a difficult decision. I tried it in Science Fiction for a week and at first went from 15 reads to 32... but so slow and still only one vote. I just updated and added Chapter Three very early today, about 1AM, and placed it in the Adventure category because it's not a story that goes to other planets and involves space travel... Star Wars like or anything like that, yet involves scientific principles to some minor degree and several times brief occurrences of supernatural transcendence.... It does involve homelessness, death, grieving, loneliness, risking one's life... goes to other places far from home but on earth, well mainly on earth ha. So I see other novels in Science Fiction and they all seem very futuristic with space ships, warp speed etc.

I don't mean to spoil my story should you or anyone want to read it. It's not really for teens... but could of course be for latter teens and up. Of the 32 who have read they are in the 18-25 age range and the 45 and up ages. That's interesting as somehow none have been in the 26 to 44 age range or close to that as I don't exactly recall the age divisions only remember that 10 yr void. Maybe it's because the greater percentage of adults that age just might not really have kids 17 yrs old yet....

Oh, I should say to others considering Wattpad... that you can see how the data is interesting as one can view age ranges, what area of the world readers come from i.e. for me it's been 25% Canada, 75% USA, so far. You can also tell overall how far readers are reading into your story via a graph i.e. you can see that they read on average 60% and stop etc. So to me those are other reasons it doesn't hurt to at least try out Wattpad. I'm not trying to advertise Wattpad at all as I'm just like the rest here, a writer trying to "make it" and thought it wouldn't hurt to try and hoping the traditional publishers don't reject me just because I posted several chapters. Also consider... I might be remembering incorrectly... that in order to be catapulted into the "Featured" novels in your genre you have to post your whole novel, not just part of it... so in my case I'll stay in the sea of novels out there. I might be wrong and just look into that if that makes a difference to you. I still might online publish though and remain undecided over that decision so far.

Also consider... Wattpad also tries, at least it seems they do fairly well at it with their site design, to avoid writers trading i.e. "I'll read your story if you read mine". It's not a good situation as then writers are reading others works because in a way they feel they have to instead of want to.... Again I also think Wattpad is a chance for non-writers to read your story and comment. I think it's 2/3rds of the members are readers, not writers.... A staff person said though the huge trend is to read and not comment or click on the "Vote" which effects directly a writers rankings at Wattpad and the chance your story can be brought out of the mountain of stories into "Featured" where more can see it immediately when they come to a genre to read. Also it's all free reading, like your giving away your story for free, so consider that too if you hope to support yourself in some way.

I also read this writer's comment at Wattpad that even though she had a lot of readers at Wattpad and had published herself at Amazon, that her high ratings at Wattpad had no real effect on her novel sales at Amazon. At least though I bet she had more confidence publishing online and at like Amazon once she tried Wattpad and learned more of the impact of her story on readers etc... but that's just my guess. Also a Wattpad staff person told me only 1 or 2 books a year are taken on by the big publisher's row companies from writers who posted on Wattpad. I don't mean to sound depressing as that staff person didn't include all the small presses that maybe browse there and literary agents etc. Also maybe some writers secure acceptance from some publisher or agent and Wattpad never knows. Also consider too the antithesis of that ha... rogue "publishers" and bogus "agents". I also heard some have found their stories springing up with some hacker putting their own name on them... that too.... It hasn't happened to me yet. Thanks too for AW, such a great place for writers!!!! At least maybe think of Wattpad as a testing grounds and also a way to meet others too. Hope this helps. Thanks again Morrighan! I'm going to look you up on Wattpad!

Carpe Diem!
Winfred

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
I'm not that familiar with Wattpad, though I have an account there (not posted anything yet though, and not sure I will.) What are issues?

Granted, I've only noted what people are writing in club comments, as I have not really read/browsed much on other fiction in Wattpad. Not beyond blurbs ('Story' front matter on Wattpad).

Although my WIP is tagged Mature, Wattpad's algorithms keep putting it next to some YA stuff that it doesn't match. I'm hoping that will change with time, and certainly once I get the whole thing uploaded. I've had conflicting advice: upload a couple of chapters at a time to slowly grow readership, OR upload a complete novel, as those are the only ones getting 'featured' space on Wattpad's front pages. Although the book is done, I'm revising a bit as I go: smaller chapters, more setting detail and internal thoughts from the MC. I'm only up to 22 chapters, and I've got at least 60 more to go. Since this is a trunk novel, it has to take last place to earning work.

What I see in the fantasy clubs is the usual stuff I've encountered in fan fiction and beta-reading newer writers: word choice errors, typos, grammar and punctuation problems, huge text blocks that could do with being cut into paragraphs, slow start to stories, unfamiliarity with fantasy classics and current well-known authors beyond the YA best sellers, cliches galore, obvious Mary Sues, offers to trade reviews, and begging for reads. Bless 'em, a *lot* of enthusiasm, too, which helps make up for the rest.

It's not like reading the reader comments on Locus or Tor.com, certainly...at least not where I've hung out.

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
Wattpad seems to be malfunctioning right now. Everytime I try to post a new part of my story, it puts the ding-dang thing in a tex box I can't get rid of. Other writers are reporting the same glitch. The site says to start a trouble ticket, but there's no link I can see to do so.

Not impressing me right now, to tell you the truth.

:badthoughts

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I had no problem browsing it earlier, but that explains why analytics weren't working. Hope it works again before midnight so I can keep up with my NaNo goals

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So I'm assuming that publishers have no problem with material being on Wattpad first before being officially released?

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I personally would not assume that. Wattpad pushes out material actively such as through their reading app. While it is member-only it is certainly more than a private work-shopping group and has a large readership outside of other authors.

Long story short, I suspect that some publishers will probably considered Wattpad work published, especially if it is a highly popular complete work and jumping out in Google search results.

Last edited:

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
So I'm assuming that publishers have no problem with material being on Wattpad first before being officially released?

The issue is the same as any form of self-publishing. Work that does well has a chance of a deal. Work that does badly is unlikely to get a deal. You can't assume you're going to be the next Wattpad sensation. If a trade deal is what you want, it's better to try agents/editors first.

morrighan

Always writing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lizmadridauthor.com
Are the clubs any good?

It's a hit or miss. Some of them are pretty good especially within specific genres, like General Fiction or Romance. Other people have started groups for people 25+, 35+ and someone decided to do a club for "no one under 100" (bucking the trend with all the 25+, 35+, 45+ and that gets pretty busy now and then. It's a place to meet other people, writers and readers, and learn a thing or two.

morrighan

Always writing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lizmadridauthor.com

Given that Harlequin just partnered with Wattpad for their annual So You Think You Can Write competition (the grand prize is a 2-book deal) and the requirement was for entrants to post their work on Wattpad, it's not so much a problem anymore, though there are many publishers out there who want first rights, so wattpad is out. Same with Kensington Publishing which held a contest last year and the prize was a book contract. There's also Sourcebooks which sent out a call for submissions simply by tagging your work with #submit2sourcebooks (I think that was it) on it and if they like it, they assign an editor to you to read the full story (stories have to be completed before submitting) and then glean submissions from there.

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
I have two fanfic pieces posted on Wattpad, one complete and one in progress. Happily, Wattpad seems to have solved its textbox problems. As a hybrid-published, I couldn't care less if someone considers them dead in the water. If that happens, meh! and I self-publish them with the serial numbers filed off.

Names of the pieces are Who You Are (complete) and In Touch (in progress), if you're curious.

atwhatcost

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
If you commercially publish that work, you will have to. Other, esp. unrelated works - depends on the publisher.
You won't get commercially published if you have a story on that site, unless hundreds of thousands of people are reading it. Once you publish in there, you've used up your first rights. So, if you get commercially published it's only second rights which publishers don't want.