• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Belfire Press

HistorySleuth

Researching History's Mysteries
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gahwny.org
Actually, no. I just copied that statement from their Facebook page. I do have a book that will be coming out with Belfire, but I didn't even have that when I first posted about them. I do understand the skepticism and I understand wanting to wait to see if they will come out of it.

Ahhhh. I see. The first post had no quotes and it didn't say it was from the facebook page, so I assumed it was your words. Never mind then. I wish you the best with your book, JL.

JL_Benet

writer/teacher
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlbenet.com
I went back and put it in a quote block so it's clearer that those weren't my words.

For the sake of full disclosure, I did sign a contract with Belfire in Sept. 2011 to release a horror novel.

I still say that the advice to wait a while to see how Belfire makes it out of this might be advisable. It is ultimately up to the individual author to make that decision. Belfire appears to have a full schedule of contracted books for over a year into the future, so an interested author will have a fair amount of evidence by the time they would likely reopen for open submissions.

Last edited:

Shawshank

Registered
Reaction score
With a little further research, I found a lot of positive about Jodi lee and other staff members. These are people who truly love books with a passion. And, really, there are worse publishers. Just take a look at some of them in the index. As far as doing much of the promoting myself, isn't that true now days even with the big houses? Thanks for all your advice. I think I will sleep on it.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
As far as doing much of the promoting myself, isn't that true now days even with the big houses?

No. Large commercial publishers, university presses, and many of the larger small presses have full-time staff members whose job it is to promote authors' books, and connections with the media and other outlets that individual authors generally can't build on their own.

I think Jodi Lee is a lovely person and I agree that she is someone with great intentions, and one of the best-read and most genre-aware people in the US horror community. I wish her all the best in this endeavor.

The thing is, though, that you have to analyze for yourself if this is the best place for your book to be published, or if another publisher could give it better exposure and better opportunities. Perhaps the answer you come to will be "Yes, Belfire Press is the right home for this book."

But "The people involved are good people with good intentions, and there are worse publishers out there" just isn't an appropriate level of due diligence.

You say that you'd like your book to be in libraries, which I think is a worthy goal for sure. Very few libraries seek out micropress books, though; to get books into libraries on any kind of scale, Belfire needs to have a distribution plan and probably an agreement with a distributor in place--simply working with the two big wholesalers, Ingram and Baker and Taylor, isn't enough to get libraries to buy your book rather than another one from a Big Six house. So I would be sure to check on Belfire's strategy for making that happen before signing with them, if that is a key goal for you.

Shawshank

Registered
Reaction score
I thank you all for your advice. At the end of the day, I went with my heart. Something about Belfire Press and especially Jodi Lee just feels right to me. I guess it's the romantic artist in me, but I still believe the universe moves us where we need to be, if we will let it. I signed with Belfire for my novel Eternal Fall. Wish me luck.

LaneHeymont

Not so secret agent
Registered
Reaction score
I thank you all for your advice. At the end of the day, I went with my heart. Something about Belfire Press and especially Jodi Lee just feels right to me. I guess it's the romantic artist in me, but I still believe the universe moves us where we need to be, if we will let it. I signed with Belfire for my novel Eternal Fall. Wish me luck.

Good luck! And hopefully you can bring your experiences here!

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
Did you actually ask any questions about whether they were in a position to make your goals for the book into realities? I'm all for going with one's gut--I proposed to my husband within six weeks of meeting him--but I think that getting answers to your questions is also really important.

No matter what, the very best of luck to you and I hope the book does marvelously and that you are delighted with your publishing experience.

JL_Benet

writer/teacher
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlbenet.com
My book, Wolf Hunter, just came out from Belfire Press. You can see their page for it here:
http://belfirepress.com/main/our-titles/wolf-hunter/
It's been out in eBook for only a week, and print just a couple days (I just got my author copies today), so I can't speak to sales. While I'm not an employee of Belfire, if you have questions that I would be able to answer as one of their authors, I will do the best I can.

JL_Benet

writer/teacher
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlbenet.com
http://belfirepress.com/main/dark-recesses-press-aquires-belfire-press/
[h=2]Dark Recesses Press Aquires Belfire Press[/h] 1 April 2017 No Comment

I wish to thank all of Belfire’s authors and staff for 7 wonderful years of growth and amazing support for an idea that became a dream in reality. It has been the ride of my life, and I’ve been privileged to work alongside each and every one of you.
As of today, all Belfire Press, Needfire Poetry, and The New Bedlam Project titles are moving to Dark Recesses Press. I also want to extend a thank you to Bailey Hunter for sharing a vision for a home for the Belfire family.
From Bailey at Dark Recesses:

We here at Dark Recesses are very excited to have all these wonderful authors join our family, and to be able to provide a home for their works.

This is just the beginning of many great things happening, so keep your ear to the ground, and your eyes on Dark Recesses Press.

Soon, the domain will point to the Dark Recesses website, and this site will be removed. As of Monday, all Belfire email addresses will cease to exist, so if you need to get in touch with anyone, either Bailey or myself, click through to our websites.
Write on, you fabulous wordsmiths! I expect to see more of your worlds in the future…
Jodi Lee
[url]www.jodilee.ca[/URL]