Publish America's Carousel of Magically Rotating Email Offers

Wrider

Sleep. Eat. Write.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rachelburkum.com
Oh, oh, can I add more tonight?! :e2hammer:
This just in on the PA boards in response to a saddened author...

Book publishing is business, and PublishAmerica is in it to make a profit.
Nooooo really?!

In a free market economy, an enterprise has two tools. One is the quality of its product; the other is pricing. We never receive complaints about anything we do from authors who run, or have run, their own business. They understand exactly what we do, and why we do it. Like all enterprises, PublishAmerica has its detractors. None of them have ever run a business.
Maybe because those who run businesses are smart enough not to go with PA?

Our eye is on the end consumer: can they buy our product at a price that they are willing to pay. We don't consider the competition. People don't buy a book because it's cheaper than another book. They buy a book because its content is worth more to them than the amount in cash that they are willing to pay in exchange.
Actually, my wallet is more important nowadays. Oh and you forgot the question mark on your first sentence.

As everyone can see PublishAmerica is re-aligning its pricing options. That's a business decision. We now make it possible to have our titles on the market for undiscounted prices as low as $9.95. If the consumer can choose to buy one and the same book, brand new, for $9.95 instead of $29.95, he will always choose $9.95.
Then you explain why you're keeping the higher priced books. Oh wait, that's coming up, sorry.

It costs us to sell our books for less; a child can see that. We are unwilling to bear the entire cost of making less money from a future sale. So we nudge the other party who has an obvious interest in the potential of increased sales, the author, in the right direction. That's why you see these "activate your low-priced print version" emails lately. There's nothing personal about it; it's business. Business that is well understood by anyone who ever ran one.
Ohhh, I get it! These emails are "nudges." Right. Gotcha.

We first nudged the segment of authors who have displayed the most elasticity in what they are willing to invest. We confronted them with a simple and straightforward proposal, and many understood the benefit and acted promptly, as we knew they would.
You mean the authors who had a few last dimes to spare and who were unfortunate enough not to realize you were going to offer a better deal a couple days later?

What you are seeing now is that we are nudging the next segment, authors who are more reluctant, each for reasons of their own. We're nudging them by making the price of *not* making the consumer happier higher, a little more painful if you want. That's how market economy works: each day you decide what the thing that you really want is worth to you. And more often than not you decide that, at this time, you can't have what you want. Nothing wrong with that -- your book is still being published at absolutely no cost to you, and it's available for everybody else to buy and read. Maybe, as a result, PublishAmerica sells fewer books. But they sell at a higher price, and we're satisfied with that.
Oh yeah, I forgot that it was the authors' job to ensure the publisher offers books at an affordable price. Silly me.

The misunderstanding here is that some assume that being published for absolutely free should never come at any pain for the author. That's unrealistic. There's always choices to make, and every choice in life comes with a price tag. Doesn't mean that you are in any way obligated to fold or conform, not at all. At PublishAmerica, nobody pays to be published, ever. Period. But it's like flying with a low-cost airline: you pay for extra luggage, for sodas instead of water, for better seats. But it's still low-cost, or in our case, no-cost!
Hey, you never mentioned pain on your website! Wait... isn't Lulu less painful and less expensive? Sorry, did I say a bad word?

Thousands of PA books are now available at a very low cost. It's a win-win for everyone involved: PublishAmerica, the author, and the consumer.
Did you just say "win-win"? You're kidding me, right?

It's really not very difficult to follow the logic.
ROFL! It certainly isn't!:roll:

Wrider

Sleep. Eat. Write.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rachelburkum.com
Oh, and by the way, Terri, thanks for breaking down the PA email there. Funny how shedding light on a topic gives a whole new perspective.

AudioGenius

Registered
Reaction score
Originally posted by PA
Thousands of PA books are now available at a very low cost. It's a win-win for everyone involved: PublishAmerica, the author, and the consumer.

Um, the author and the consumer are NOT separate entities with your business model PA. Please stop claiming that it's so.

Wrider

Sleep. Eat. Write.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rachelburkum.com
Received just today....
Dear PAperback writer:

PublishAmerica has reserved space at the world's biggest book event: the Frankfurt Book Fair in Germany, now only ten weeks away. The best and the brightest of the world's bestselling authors, foreign publishers, Hollywood producers, booksellers, and thousands of media are expected to attend.

We are dedicating a special section of our booth to our PAperback authors.

If you want your PAperback to be exhibited at the Fair for the world to see, go to www.publishamerica.net, find your PAperback, and use this discount coupon: World10. Minimum purchase volume is 6 copies. Authors who order 12 or more copies will receive front row display. One copy of your order will go to Germany, the other books will be shipped to you.

PublishAmerica is unique in the industry with our under-$10 PAperbacks in softcover-lookalike format. This will be the international launch of our innovative concept.

We'll see your book in Europe!
--PublishAmerica Bookstore

Wrider

Sleep. Eat. Write.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rachelburkum.com
Wow. Discount is a whopping $5.97. I'm impressed. :Wha:
I get one book in Germany by spending just under $80. Oh, but that's not front row display. Shoot.

merrihiatt

Writing! Writing! Writing!
Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
If you want your PAperback to be exhibited at the Fair for the world to see,

Except, the world won't see it. A few people MIGHT see it, but most people will be ignoring PA's display like the plague.

PublishAmerica is unique in the industry with our under-$10 PAperbacks in softcover-lookalike format. This will be the international launch of our innovative concept.

Unique? How about FINALLY pricing a book competitively. The only problem is that it's the author who has to pay to get the competitive price allocation for their books.

PA has coined another new phrase: softcover-lookalike format. :Shrug: Is that anything like a real book wannabe?

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Lower hurdle re. softcover price increase

Dear author:

Reminder: after this week our softcover prices will increase by an average $5 across the board.

We announced this two days ago, so that you can not only stock up on softcovers at current prices, but also activate the $9.95 PAperback version of your book if you had not done so yet. Most softcovers will be listed for $29.95. Most PAperbacks list for $9.95.

Can't afford / don't want to purchase the min. 9 softcovers, required under the FinalLow coupon that gives you a 50 pct discount?

Use this coupon instead: FinalSoft40. It requires a min. purchase of only 5 softcovers, and still gives you a discount of 40 pct.

Go to www.publishamerica.net, use either coupon. Use it on your softcover only. All non-softcover orders under this coupon will not be processed, so you'll be wasting your money if you try. Offer expires Sunday.

By using either coupon on your softcover order you will automatically activate your book's PAperback version if you had not already done so. This final softcover order before the price increase typically ships within 2 business days.

Thank you.
--PublishAmerica Bookstore

---------------------
Advertisement: PublishAmerica recommends "Legend of Dark Mountain" by Andrew P. LeBel, about a town with a chilling secret. Buy it here: http://www.publishamerica.net/product86428.html.
---------------------

Is anyone surprised?

Last edited by a moderator:

Kweei

Expert Procrastinator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kltownsend.com
"Use it on your softcover only. All non-softcover orders under this coupon will not be processed, so you'll be wasting your money if you try. Offer expires Sunday."

I highlighted the part that caught my attention. So if someone tries to use this coupon on any other book, not their softcover, PA will take the money anyway. Author is stuck with nothing.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
"Use it on your softcover only. All non-softcover orders under this coupon will not be processed, so you'll be wasting your money if you try. Offer expires Sunday."

I highlighted the part that caught my attention. So if someone tries to use this coupon on any other book, not their softcover, PA will take the money anyway. Author is stuck with nothing.

I think you get the books you tried to order at the regular price, rather than just punting the order and making you try again.

Wrider

Sleep. Eat. Write.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rachelburkum.com
I've received 3 emails just today. Good grief.
I told a friend of mine about all that had been going on and listed all the screwy emails I've been getting. He called them "ADHD emails." Love it.

Wrider

Sleep. Eat. Write.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rachelburkum.com
Oh yeah - and interesting that one offer can "typically ship within 2 business days" when normally you have to wait 4-6 weeks? Duh.

Wrider

Sleep. Eat. Write.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rachelburkum.com
Sooo..... PublishAmerica doesn't have any books good enough to promote, so they're promoting someone else's now?

We will send you a hardcover copy of The Search by top author Nora Roberts for FREE. Her book was released just days ago.

Living in next-door Boonsboro, Maryland, Nora Roberts is virtually PublishAmerica's neighbor. And you know what? We will knock on her door and see if she is willing to sign your copy!

Nora's latest blockbuster, already a New York Times #3 bestseller, is critiqued as one of her best and one of her most riveting romance novels ever. It is our gift to you.

Here's how:

Go to www.publishamerica.net, find your softcover, add to cart, use this discount coupon: NoraRoberts50. Use it on your softcover only. All non-softcover orders under this coupon will not be processed, so you'll be wasting your money if you try. Minimum purchase volume is only 6 copies. Your discount is 50 pct, and your shipment will include Nora Roberts's book, our gift to you.

In the Ordering Instructions box write "Nora Roberts Yes" if you want us to ask her to sign your copy.

Offer valid three days only.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
OH oh oh oh oh I cannot wait until La Nora hears about these folks promising that they'll "knock on her door."

She will not be a happy lady, and PA won't like her when she's unhappy. (She has been very vehement in the past about situations where aspiring authors were taken advantage of by unscrupulous publishers.)

Marie Pacha

Still a work in progress
Registered
Reaction score
Nora Roberts had a booksigning in Boonsboro, MD recently.

PA doesn't have to contact her for signed copies of her books. They can order them through the bookstore's website.

http://www.ttpbooks.com/

"Don't forget, if you are unable to attend our great events, you can order signed copies from our Virtual Booksigning page on our website."

merrihiatt

Writing! Writing! Writing!
Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
Minimum purchase volume is only 6 copies. Your discount is 50 pct, and your shipment will include Nora Roberts's book, our gift to you.

A gift doesn't cost anything. Especially not six copies of an overpriced softcover PA book. Notice they didn't offer this for the PAYperbacks, which have a less expensive retail price. Oh, no, they want you to pay for that $29.95 softcover (less the 50% discount, of course, plus S&H). What a deal!

Wouldn't that be simply Nora Roberts' book. The second "s" isn't necessary is it? No wonder PA books aren't edited. Staff at PA don't know how to edit!

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score

PA doesn't have to contact her for signed copies of her books. They can order them through the bookstore's website.

Exactly.

But the whole "We'll knock on her door" stuff is creepy and implies a relationship between the two business entities that does not exist.

I could give everyone who bought one of my books a case of Coca-Cola, but I'm not allowed to say "I'll go down to Coca-Cola HQ and get a special case for you! Because we're neighbors!" in my publicity.

CheshireCat

Mostly purring. Mostly.
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks to the member who knew Nora was a friend and alerted me to this. I alerted Nora.

OH oh oh oh oh I cannot wait until La Nora hears about these folks promising that they'll "knock on her door."

She will not be a happy lady, and PA won't like her when she's unhappy. (She has been very vehement in the past about situations where aspiring authors were taken advantage of by unscrupulous publishers.)

No, she wasn't happy at all. Immediately called both her agent and publisher -- and they were appalled. Attorneys are being consulted, I believe. :D

http://www.ttpbooks.com/

"Don't forget, if you are unable to attend our great events, you can order signed copies from our Virtual Booksigning page on our website."

Yeah, as Nora said, "Giveaways are their business." It's the cozy/creepy she's-a-friend-and-neighbor-of-ours-and-we'll-just-knock-on-her-door thing that really pissed her off.

Exactly.

But the whole "We'll knock on her door" stuff is creepy and implies a relationship between the two business entities that does not exist.

I could give everyone who bought one of my books a case of Coca-Cola, but I'm not allowed to say "I'll go down to Coca-Cola HQ and get a special case for you! Because we're neighbors!" in my publicity.

Exactly. And that's what Nora objects to.

Man, PA is a real piece of work, aren't they? I mean, I knew that, but had no idea they were pulling shit like this.

CheshireCat

Mostly purring. Mostly.
Registered
Reaction score
By the way, Nora also said that if PA did come knocking on her door, she'd sic her dogs on them. I haven't met her dogs, but I've seen pictures.

Big dogs.

:D