G'Day

tarkine

Learning the trade
Registered
Reaction score
PoP - that would be tricky. Will that impact on your entry into the Navy?

PrincessofPersia

Registered
Reaction score
Not really, no. They test your hearing, but they test it using tones. I have an absurdly wide range when it comes to sounds, and I can pick out individual instruments in complex pieces of music and isolate them. It's only language, as it's a neurological thing as opposed to an ear problem.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! :D

I did it! It only took me like 10 hours. :tongue

Granted, I kept getting distracted. Like having to go to the shops for something, or doing a puzzle, or watching TV, or cooking dinner...

I'm surprised I didn't play guitar yet today.

Anyway, it still needs to be edited, but I can breathe a HUGE sigh of relief now. I was really worried I wouldn't be able to do this essay... But I've at least got a workable first draft done.

:)

PrincessofPersia

Registered
Reaction score
Good on you for getting it finished.

I'm trying to work on a basic outline for my novel, but my cat is in my lap pushing my hands off the keyboard. I'm doing a lipogrammatic novel that doesn't use any words with the letter E. I also want to do a palindromic novel where the whole thing is one long palindrome, but I'm saving that for another WIP, since it will take so long to write probably.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
That would irritate the hell out of me, trying to write one of those.

No letter "E"? Madness I say! :tongue

And isn't a palindrome something like "Glenelg" where it's the same backwards as forwards? Is that even possible for a novel-length work?

PrincessofPersia

Registered
Reaction score
That would irritate the hell out of me, trying to write one of those.

No letter "E"? Madness I say! :tongue

And isn't a palindrome something like "Glenelg" where it's the same backwards as forwards? Is that even possible for a novel-length work?

Two palindromic novels have been published, but they weren't a single palindrome. They were mostly line palindromes, and most of them were written in crazy language that makes little sense.

I think the longest real work of palindromic fiction is called 2002: A Palindrome Story in 2002 Words. But, like the others, it often makes almost no sense.

After I go through the one I'm working on now, I'm going to try to write a fully palindromic novel--that is, one big palindrome 40-50k words long--that actually makes some sort of sense.

The WIP I'm starting now is a progressive lipogrammatic novel about a girl who is allergic to the letter E, so she writes her own book to read. But the overexposure makes her become allergic to other letters in the process, so she has to drop them a letter or two at a time.

PrincessofPersia

Registered
Reaction score
It starts out with no E, then goes down to using only like 15 or 16 letters. That's the plan, anyway. We'll see if it actually works.

PrincessofPersia

Registered
Reaction score
I've been writing like whoa. Put the lipogram on the back burner for something more publishable, and something I actually want to read. Yay enjoying writing!

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Glad you're getting loads done PoP. :)

I had my induction day today for the new job.

I start my first real day on Wednesday. Eep! I guess I'll be plunging headfirst into a new learning curve.

I have 3 4-hour shifts this week, but that's all. Well, except for the 6 hours today. I'll be paid for 5.5 of them (we had a half hour lunch today) so that's awesome. It was a very easy day.

But I'm sooooooo nervous about walking into the new environment on Wednesday.

So no writing for me right now. Although I might dive into some homework tomorrow, while I have the time.

:)

PrincessofPersia

Registered
Reaction score
Good luck on the job, Cliff. I still haven't heard anything from my interview, and it's been over a month. My application still says active online, and they told me I'd hear either way. I have no idea.

tarkine

Learning the trade
Registered
Reaction score
All the best for your first day at work Cliff

PoP, ah get used to the government and how slooow they are at processing things.. Take it as a good sign :D

AFM: crushed my finger today closing the gate, and the best swearword I could come up with was crapola??? I'm a disappointment to myself :D Normally I swear like a trooper but there was master 2 around, so I had to keep it clean, although I did mouth the F word - does that count??

froley

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reelthinker.com
The WIP I'm starting now is a progressive lipogrammatic novel about a girl who is allergic to the letter E, so she writes her own book to read. But the overexposure makes her become allergic to other letters in the process, so she has to drop them a letter or two at a time.

That sounds really funny, man. I'd read it.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
So my first day went alright. 4 hour shift - 1 hour of extra-induction (we had a 6 hour induction on Monday for the bulk of what we needed to know - the hour today was for this specific shop) and then 3 hours on the register.

Apparently I'll be spending most of my time on the register... *shrug* I'm fine with that.

And now, in about an hour or so I'll be heading back out, this time into the city to see a show. It's this musical evening thing, with popular songs from WW2 era. Should be interesting. :)

Phew. *tries to relax for 5 minutes after an already long day about to turn into a long night*

PrincessofPersia

Registered
Reaction score
That sounds really funny, man. I'd read it.

Haha, thanks. It turns out it's harder to write than I thought, so I'm writing something else. But I'm definitely going to write that at some point. At least as a story.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
So, how's tricks, everyone?

I've now been in the new job for 3 weeks. It's going pretty well so far. :)

Yesterday one of the workers told me that I shouldn't call for backup at the register unless there are 5 people waiting in line, as opposed to the 3 the other worker told me... Apparently that first worker who said 3 is generally disliked for the fact that she will call for backup when it's something she could've handled in a few minutes anyway.

So that's something I need to keep in mind...

What's going on with you gals?

tarkine

Learning the trade
Registered
Reaction score
Hey Cliff,

I've been sick. it feels like I've been sick since the start of august, with one thing or another, and I'm well and truly over it.

have been spending most of my time in the garden propergating (sp?) for spring, writing, reading and generally not on the internet (which is why I haven't been around much).

Gotta go and do some cooking.