G'Day

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Cliff, if your sinuses are involved at all, one good short-term middle-of-the-night reliever is a hot flannel to the face. Doesn't last long, but it breaks up the monotony...

Lils

Registered
Reaction score
Website
lilynavarro.com
Anyone else going to be watching Angry Boys tonight? I am a huge Chris Lilley fan, and think he's the best Aussie comedian out right now. Sooo looking forward to it!

PrincessofPersia

Registered
Reaction score
Whew. Been busy recently, so not much time to post. Been writing freelance like crazy so I can fund this movie, but more than half of it is being funded by my dad. He apparently believes in the movie a lot, lol. Either that, or he really wants that Executive Producer credit. :p

Pre-production's coming together pretty well. I decided to go the "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly" and Bollywood route, and shoot MOS, i.e., no sync sound. Do the whole sound track using foley and ADR. The sound quality will be much better, I won't have to worry about doing safety takes for sound, and higher quality condenser mics are cheaper than shotgun mics of comparable quality. Also, it will give the lead actress a chance to do the vocals as if she's acting to a real person, since the film will be edited together when she does the voice over.

I also found a way to build a 35mm DOF adapter that makes the miniDV camera look amazingly like film. Probably more like 16 than 35, but that's still pretty awesome. And unlike the ones sold online for $1000, this costs about $30 and works almost just as well (the difference in quality doesn't justify the difference in price AFAIC).

Also, y'all should check out this amazing band Frankenpine. They're an indie bluegrass/string band, and they've agreed to let me use all their music in my film. I've also composed a track myself, and I'm using a track by another great band called This Way to the Egress.

Last edited:

Ambri

Plotting something
Registered
Reaction score
Second star to the right, straight on till evening
Hi, there. Hope this is the right place to ask this, but I have an Aussie character, and I'm wondering how similar Australian slang is to Brittish slang/ dialect. For instance, when cursing, would you say "shite" or "shit"? Thanks, from a cluessless American.

x_Kathy_x

Me fail English? That’s unpossible.
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, there. Hope this is the right place to ask this, but I have an Aussie character, and I'm wondering how similar Australian slang is to Brittish slang/ dialect. For instance, when cursing, would you say "shite" or "shit"? Thanks, from a cluessless American.
I'd say "shit", but I also say "shite". It depends on how I'm feeling, lol. I guess I'd use "shite" if I was joking around. HTH!

PrincessofPersia

Registered
Reaction score
I say both if I'm either joking around or only mildly irritated. If I'm really set off, it's "shit" all the way. Course, I've been living in America for a while, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
I think it comes down to use, for me.

The only time I'd use shite is if I were saying, "That's/it's shite," meaning specifically "it is of a poor quality."

I'd use shit for every other instance, such as "Fucking shit!" "Shit me dead!" and "You're a shithead."

Hope that helps. :)

tarkine

Learning the trade
Registered
Reaction score

If I was only mildy annoyed, or swearing in polite company, or around little kids, I'd say Shite.

If I was full on angry or something I heard pissed me off, I'd be "That's a load of shit!"

But again it depends on the character. In general, I would expect most Aussies would only drop a mouthful of swear words if they were really pissed, then there would be no stopping them.

"You fucking bastard, what a fucking stupid dumb fucker you are. What have you got shit for brains or something?" sort of thing.

Hope that helps.

fredXgeorge

I heart sexy elves and wizards.
Registered
Reaction score
Hello again everybody! God I haven't posted in here for months. I could give a good reason but tbh it's really just cos I'm lazy :/

'Shit' for me, I never say 'shite'. If I'm around kids I just cover it up with 'shitake mushrooms' lol.

froley

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reelthinker.com
Yeah I never say shite, nor does anyone I know. Probably more appropriate for a Scots character (but don't hold me to that). Aussie vernacular tends to be dry and flat. Consider this for flavourlicious swearing:

"What the bloody fuck is that?"

The first time I heard that, I knew a more Aussie phrase could never be found.

fredXgeorge

I heart sexy elves and wizards.
Registered
Reaction score
I am guilty of calling inanimate objects bastards. If an object doesn't work or if I drop it or something it's a bastard and I tell it so :D

PrincessofPersia

Registered
Reaction score
How's the movie coming, PoP?

Coming along swimmingly. Shooting starts in 8 days, now officially. I got two new crew members. An additional makeup person and a grip/camera ninja (the clapper guy).

Don't forget to check links below to get updates. ;) Once the film is finished, we're going to be doing a giveaway where anyone who follows us on twitter or likes us on facebook in a specific time frame will get a free copy of the film on DVD signed by the cast and myself.