Hungarians

Tepelus

And so...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keskedgell.blogspot.com
It does give you the upper hand. :tongue

I tried to learn it, albeit not very hard. I just wanted to learn a few basic greetings and words. Nothing sunk in. I found Romanian a little easier, but even that was difficult. I don't think my mind is wired to grasp another language. Even when I was living with my ex husband who was Romanian and spoke it quite frequently with his friends, I still couldn't get it. Some phrases and words, but no way could I carry on a conversation. Maybe if I was to live there and was forced to learn because I was living with people who didn't speak a word of English I might be able to learn, but that won't be happening.

SaraP

You can't forget those you've loved
Registered
Reaction score
Thread merge complete. Welcome to the Hungarian Thread.

Ok, guys, that was a wild ride. Anyone fall off their seat? :D

Oh, and welcome to the new folks! :hi:

SaraP

Registered
Reaction score
It was hidden under the couch pillows. Right next to the remote I lost two years ago. And two very stale crackers. :D

Radzeer

The Man from Eastern Europe
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, I almost thought that suddenly dozens of Hungarians registered... That would have been weird.

Anyway, to say something on topic, if you write anything in Hungarian it is about 15% longer than the same text in English. I'm sure everybody was dying to learn this. :)

Tepelus

And so...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keskedgell.blogspot.com
That's interesting. Is it because your words are longer, or is it because you guys have about twenty different words that describe one thing? Poking you in jest, but not really cuz it's true!

Radzeer

Registered
Reaction score
It's not about the word length I think, more about the inflection we use to express complex grammar (not sure this is the right way to say it though, I am no linguist...). I don't think our vocabulary is much bigger than that of English.
It's a good question I don't really know the answer to. :)

Susan Anwin

deep blue electric angel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
susananwin.net
I lived in Baja and Budapest (weekends) in the 90's :) I love Hungary and Hungarians so much. Jo napot!

Is Icelandic really like Hungarian? That was the closest language, wasn't it? I am afraid I couldn't ever grasp Hungarian very much. I used a lot of German instead, lol ;)

hello and thanks for the welcome. no, Icelandic is a germanic language, Hungarian is finno-ugrian, the only relative in Europe is Finnish

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Finnish! That's the one :) They both sound fascinating and beautiful, and I can't pronounce either one! Nor Hungarian, unfortunately. The vowels can get me in many languages ;)

You'd think a small word like Baja would be easy to get folks to understand on the first go. Not in Hungarian for this Southern-US girl!

Radzeer

Registered
Reaction score
Finnish is tricky though. I remember once they showed the Kalevala on Hungarian TV in original Finnish with HU subtitles, and I could not understand a word. That relation is "hardcore linguistic" and does not extend to understanding each other on the street. :)
BTW, Baja is a nice place. ;)

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I didn't know whether you'd understand Finnish any or not :)

Baja is wonderful! Hot (like home), but wonderful :) And Budapest on the weekends at the company apartment! That was a great mixture :)

Gwyvian

Look at me! I'm an elf! Tralala!
Registered
Reaction score
Kipp-kopp - gondoltam beköszönök magyarul is... :)

Btw, is there a rule for translating what I say here, given that this is an international thread?

SaraP

Registered
Reaction score
You don't have to translate what you write, assuming you're writing in the language that the thread is for. However, if you write in French on this thread, translating might be a good idea. :D

The idea for the language threads was precisely to give members a chance to interact in other languages besides English (and let some people - like me - marvel at the beauty of the written word from other countries). :)

Radzeer

Registered
Reaction score
Nem sokan vagyunk, az igaz, de lelkesek! :)

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
I have a question that hopefully someone can answer. In my third Catnip novel, some of the action takes place in Hungary. One of the characters is called a hunter, and my Google-fu turned up the word vadasz. Is that correct?

The other word is foradalom, which I took to mean revolution. I would greatly appreciate anyone setting me straight on these terms, if they are correct or not. If I'm in error, can someone please give me the correct words? Thanks in advance.

Aniko

Registered
Reaction score
I have a question that hopefully someone can answer. In my third Catnip novel, some of the action takes place in Hungary. One of the characters is called a hunter, and my Google-fu turned up the word vadasz. Is that correct?

The other word is foradalom, which I took to mean revolution. I would greatly appreciate anyone setting me straight on these terms, if they are correct or not. If I'm in error, can someone please give me the correct words? Thanks in advance.

Hi there!

vadász is the word for hunter indeed! And the word for revolution is forradalom with a double r. let me know if you need help with anything else! :)

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
van még valaki aktív még a fórumon? :)
---

Unfortunately, I'm not very active in this part of the forum, as I'm not Hungarian in descent. (I'm Canadian, of Russian descent, and no, I don't speak Russian except for knowing a few greetings and swear words. :D)

However, I do greatly appreciate your help in this matter. I just wanted to get the right words for revolution and hunter in Hungarian, and I am grateful for your response. :)

cantharis

Registered
Reaction score
Website
luciddrealm.blogspot.com
Szerv busztok, gondoltam legelső kommentemet ide írom.

Susan, én angolul, mivel egyrészt jobban élvezem, másrészt pedig a regényem politikai töltete ötven év múlva is olyan fringe lesz magyarországon, hogy nem lesz rá kereslet.