Italiano!!

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
To Tazlima and Cliff Face, thank you both. I figured, like French, the word would have a feminine usage and spelling as well. In the scene where it's used, some thugs are hunting the hero who is a transgenic cat-guy. He has his wife and a couple of other transgenic friends along. The thugs are talking amongst themselves, so the word pops up and the MC asks one of his friends what it means. I think you've answered my question, so for now I'll let it stand in the novel and if it needs to be edited later on (when the editor gets back to me) I shall do so.

Thank you once again. :)

WhatIsEnglish

Registered
Reaction score
Vedo che la discussione è un po' vecchia. Spero di non fare necroposting, ma era l'unica all'alternativa all'aprire una discussione clone.
Avrei qualche domanda per quelli di voi che hanno venduto racconti negli USA. E più nello specifico per quanto riguarda il pagamento degli stessi. Avete ricevuto i soldi tramite PayPal o trasferimenti bancari? E avete dovuto dichiarare qualcosa, all'IRS e/o all'INPS?
Spero ci sia ancora gente che controlli questa discussione di tanto in tanto.

I see the thread is quite old and I hope I'm not necroposting right now, but really this was the only way to do this instead of creating another thread. So. I have a couple questions for those of you who have sold short stories to U.S. markets. More specifically, my questions are about the payments. Did the publishers use PayPal or bank transfers? And did you guys have to declare anything to either the IRS and/or the INPS?
I hope there's still someone checking on this thread once in a while.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
(Sorry I can't reply in Italian - my grasp of the language isn't robust enough.)

Umm, by "selling to a US market", I'm assuming that means you live in Italy? I can't give specific answers (and will gladly point out that taking legal/financial advice from an AWer shouldn't stop you from asking a professional's opinion), but from what I can gather, here's how it would work:

If the money is being earned through an American company, then you would need to acknowledge that with the IRS. For instance, if you self-publish on Amazon, which is an American-owned company, then you need to pay taxes to America on your earnings-from-Amazon. So to extrapolate from that, I'd imagine that if a publisher was American-owned, then yes, the IRS would come into it in some way.

However, I seem to recall hearing that if you have an agent, then they operate as something akin to a middle-man. Like, if your agent is in Italy with you, then the fact that they handle your writing income (in order to take their cut) and then pay you, well, then on your end I would assume it means you're earning within your own country.

No idea about PayPal or bank transfers... I've heard AWers talking about being paid by PayPal, and I've heard other AWers talking about being paid by a cheque mailed to them. Not sure about the bank transfers.

My best advice, however, would be to find someone who knows about international tax law. (Many accountants are at least vaguely knowledgeable of such things - usually at least one per small firm.)

Anyway, hope that helps. Good luck with your writing, welcome to AW, and viva l'italia! :D

WhatIsEnglish

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Cliff, you've been very thorough. I'll try and seek legal advice over here (yes, I do live in Italy), and also see what I can find about that ITIN-thingy.

braveboy

Registered
Reaction score
I was a prisoner of matrimony for almost 20 years in Pozzuoli (Naples) Italy prior to escaping. Life was never boring, I must admit.
A few years ago my company at the time sent me to Vicenza in northern Italy, and the first time my (American) wife and I
met our new land lady when we were renting an apartment, the first thing she did was compliment me on my Italian speaking ability,
but the next sentence was to demand to know how come I had that terrible Napolitan' accent. LOL. I replied that your accent is who you sleep with.
While she was talking I was also wondering where in the world had she herself learned Italian. ha. I soon found out I was the only person in the
city speaking correctly and had no one to talk to until I found a Napolitano in exile working in a pizzeria there.
There is a big difference there between north and south Italia, be it the spoken language, the food (go South for good eating, btw.) or obeying laws.
and about a thousand other things.
At the end of the day though, It's all good.
Ci vediamo
Doug

braveboy

Registered
Reaction score
I was a prisoner of matrimony for almost 20 years in Pozzuoli (Naples) Italy prior to escaping. Life was never boring, I must admit.
A few years ago my company at the time sent me to Vicenza in northern Italy, and the first time my (American) wife and I
met our new land lady when we were renting an apartment, the first thing she did was compliment me on my Italian speaking ability,
but the next sentence was to demand to know how come I had that terrible Napolitan' accent. LOL. I replied that your accent is who you sleep with.
While she was talking I was also wondering where in the world had she herself learned Italian. ha. I soon found out I was the only person in the
city speaking correctly and had no one to talk to until I found a Napolitano in exile working in a pizzeria there.
There is a big difference there between north and south Italia, be it the spoken language, the food (go South for good eating, btw.) or obeying laws.
and about a thousand other things.
At the end of the day though, It's all good.
Ci vediamo
Doug

Yasia

Registered
Reaction score
So, may be stupid of me, but is anyone still alive? Because it would be nice to chat with someone from the same country I live in.

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
Io sono negli Stati Uniti, pero abitavo in Italia per quattro anni e sarei lieta a parlare, anche se non sempre scrivo correttamente.

(Mi dispiace che non posso utillizare gli accenti sopra le parole. Qui a lavoro devo lasciare i messagi in fretta, perche il capo passa frequentamente dietro mia scrivania e puo vedere che faccio).

Yasia

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, wow, ciao.
Per che motivo hai abitato per quattro anni in italia?

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
Andavo a universita a Roma. Era molto divertente, e particolarmente interressante perche ci stavo durante il cambio al Euro. Inizialmente, studiavo musica negli Stati Uniti, ma me sembrava che imparavo solamente un singolo sogetto. Deciso a muovere a una scuola al estero, e cosi se non imparavo niente di valore in scuola, almeno impararei una seconda lingua.

Sfortunatamente, dopo non potevo trovare lavoro e dovevo tornare qui. Ora sono in New Orleans. E una bella citta, e mi piace abbastanza bene, ma dopo cosi tanti anni, mi manca ancora Italia.

Di dov'e siete originalmente? And com'e mai ha lasciato?

Last edited:

Yasia

Registered
Reaction score
New Orleans! Vorrei tantissimo visitarla!
In realtà io non ho lasciato l'Italia e ci vivo ancora, e studio. Sono della zona attorno a Milano.
Devo dire che non ho ancora visitato bene Roma anche se mi piacerebbe molto e sono contenta che la sua esperienza in Italia abbia lasciato una così buona impressione.

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
:)

Essendo qui, lei e ovviamente un scrittore/trice. Studia letteratura or qualcosa di simile? Che cosa scriva? E in quale lingua!? Qualche volta tradurro qualcosina da Italiano a Inglese, ma come si puo vedere, non ho la scioltezza in Italiano per andare nello direzione opposto.

Io scrivo fantasie e... non sono sicura cosa si chimano in Italiano.. "Picture books" - libri illustrati per i bambini piccoli? Google dice che si chiamano semplicimente "libri illustrati," ma libri per bambini piu vecchi possono anche essere illustrati e Google non e essattamente infallabile.

Last edited:

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
Lol, si puo ignorare quelle domande di che cosa scriva. Ho visto che hai gia detto tutto quello nell'altro ...com'e si dice "thread" in Italiano?

Comunque, bienvenuto al Absolute Write! C'e tantissimo buon informazione qui, e scrittori di tutta eta e di dappertutto. E favoloso.

Yasia

Registered
Reaction score
Grazie per il benvenuto!
è esattamente il tipo di community che stavo cercando quindi spero in bene.
Comunque non credo che ci sia una traduzione diretta di thread, credo che nei forum italiani usiamo il termine discussioni.