• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Carolyn Swayze Literary Agency

Jacki

Registered
Reaction score
Karen,
I don't mind someone finding fault with my work. I was questioning how the agent arrived at their answer.

Jacki

Jacki

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Barbara,

I didn't intend for it to sound that I was finding fault with Narnia or Percy Jackson. I was using them as examples of how in a fantasy a person doesn't necessarily arrive somewhere in a natural way.

Jacki

BarbaraSheridan

*insert catchy phrase here*
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbarasheridan.com
Hi Barbara,

I didn't intend for it to sound that I was finding fault with Narnia or Percy Jackson. I was using them as examples of how in a fantasy a person doesn't necessarily arrive somewhere in a natural way.

Jacki

It's likely she meant that things didn't flow in a believable way from the set up you presented in those opening pages.

In Percy Jackson it's evident right away that things are different than what we're used to so the rest flows off that.

AlishaS

Is swimming with creativity frogs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.averyolive.blogspot.com
Update.

So I heard back on my three week full exclusive (about two days ago) with sort of a revise and resubmit. She had a lot of great things to say, but wanted a revision "with a few revisions, I'd be excited to take this project on"
I agreed to the revisions... though, I thought they were a little vague. And I've asked for just a hint more clarification!
Waiting to hear back on that.

Now, I am revising like mad!

J.B.Kantt

Debut Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jbkantt.blogspot.com
Update.

So I heard back on my three week full exclusive (about two days ago) with sort of a revise and resubmit. She had a lot of great things to say, but wanted a revision "with a few revisions, I'd be excited to take this project on"
I agreed to the revisions... though, I thought they were a little vague. And I've asked for just a hint more clarification!
Waiting to hear back on that.

Now, I am revising like mad!

That's so awesome Alisha! Best of luck with the revisions! I'm sure they'll be awesome!!!!:)

AlishaS

Registered
Reaction score
Website
That's so awesome Alisha! Best of luck with the revisions! I'm sure they'll be awesome!!!!:)

Thanks so much. It's about a million times more scary having been given a second chance so to speak... but I'm hoping for the best and will let you guys know how it goes!

Carleree

Queen of Catastrophes
Registered
Reaction score
Sent my query, plus five pages, plus synopsis May 13. On May15, today, Kris asked for the full exclusively, but she'd look at it either way. She said my book sounded "too commercial" for her (the first anyone ever said that about my book :)) but she was "charmed and intrigued."

All in all, it sounds good. She promised to get back to me within the month. Here's hoping :)

AlishaS

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Sent my query, plus five pages, plus synopsis May 13. On May15, today, Kris asked for the full exclusively, but she'd look at it either way. She said my book sounded "too commercial" for her (the first anyone ever said that about my book :)) but she was "charmed and intrigued."

All in all, it sounds good. She promised to get back to me within the month. Here's hoping :)

Good luck! I'm just finishing off my revisions and getting ready to send them back to Kris!

AlishaS

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Alright, well my revisions have been sent back, I'm on pins and needles here! This is way more stressful than the first time around! Will keep y'all updated :)

AlishaS

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Got a confirmation that Kris had gotten the e-mail with my revised manuscript. She told me she's excited to read it BUT won't be able to get to it for a month or so.

That sucks, a lot, but oh well. Hopefully when I do hear from her it's nothing but good news. Fingers crossed!

Carleree

Queen of Catastrophes
Registered
Reaction score
Got a confirmation that Kris had gotten the e-mail with my revised manuscript. She told me she's excited to read it BUT won't be able to get to it for a month or so.

That sucks, a lot, but oh well. Hopefully when I do hear from her it's nothing but good news. Fingers crossed!
At least you know it's going to be a month. It's better than waiting and wondering if it got there in the first place.

I didn't get a confirmation that mine was received, but I'm not too concerned. She said she'd get back to me within the month. Nothing like checking your email every minute to see if it's still working :)

Good luck!

playground

Registered
Reaction score
Would you all think it is a bad idea to query this agency if I live in America? Is it uncommon for authors to query people in Canada even though they live in the US?

Carleree

Queen of Catastrophes
Registered
Reaction score
Would you all think it is a bad idea to query this agency if I live in America? Is it uncommon for authors to query people in Canada even though they live in the US?
Some Canadian agents only rep Canadian authors, so you have to check. That being said, I know there are a few American writers that sign with Canadian agents. I don't think it's a problem. I'm Canadian and I query American agents. Same thing, right?

AlishaS

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Yup I agree with Carleree, just double check their submission page, I can't remember if this is an Only Canadian Agency, but some are.

And thank you so much for the support guys and gals! I will let you know how it turns out!

Carleree

Queen of Catastrophes
Registered
Reaction score
Alisha, your wait just got shorter. Kris rejected my full. She said great things, but nothing I could use to change my MS. Essentially, she blamed the market.

She expected to have mine for a month, and it was less than two weeks. Perhaps you're next? I hope your R & R goes well. Good luck.
icon12.gif

AlishaS

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Alisha, your wait just got shorter. Kris rejected my full. She said great things, but nothing I could use to change my MS. Essentially, she blamed the market.

She expected to have mine for a month, and it was less than two weeks. Perhaps you're next? I hope your R & R goes well. Good luck.
icon12.gif

Awe, I'm super sorry about your rejection! At least she had nice things to say, and crappy about the market! I know, my last MS got rejected time and time again because of it (though it did find a home with a small publisher)

Carleree

Queen of Catastrophes
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the pep talk, Alisha.

I sent Kris a thank you note for getting back to me quickly. I told her a tiny bit about the book I'm working on now and she said she'd like me to query her again when it's ready. At least that's something!

AlishaS

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thanks for the pep talk, Alisha.

I sent Kris a thank you note for getting back to me quickly. I told her a tiny bit about the book I'm working on now and she said she'd like me to query her again when it's ready. At least that's something!

That's great!! I've always found (even if people think it's a no-no) sometimes when you send a long a little note it actually works out in the authors favor!