AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Carolyn Swayze Literary Agency

Carolyn Swayze Literary Agency

http://www.swayzeagency.com/

Queried them and am trying to find some info. Has anyone dealt with them? Know about them? Have any information about them?
    In Progress:
    Prince$$ Ti@ of Alumin@ Querying :S

Still the wrong side of Saskatoon Saskatoonistan's Avatar
    It's among the absolute best agencies in Canada, and we don't exactly have a lot of literary agencies up here in the great white north. The handle literary fiction, juvenile and teen books and some commercial fiction. No romance, science fiction, poetry, screenplays or kids picture books. The agency considers fantasy for children but not for adults. The rep Arthur Black who had a long running radio show on Saturday mornings on CBC radio - the guy is a national treasure as well as W.P. Kinsella who is a literary giant in Canada.
    Last edited by Saskatoonistan; 06-29-2010 at 04:36 PM.

My Website. Twitter.

AGENTED - AUGUST 24,2010 WOOT!!! AGENTED AGAIN February 2015! WOOT! WOOT!

"POLTERGEEKS is absolutely everything you could possibly want in YA fantasy!" STARBURST MAGAZINE

"Sean Cummings is a master of the dark fantastic. His writing brims with soul, guts, and a dark wit sharp enough to draw blood. Chris F. Holm, award winning author of The Collector Books

Thanks Saskatoon. They sent me an email with a requst for more information.. :S I hope they like it and chose to rep me

Sent a query on 6/25
    Reqeust for more info 6/28
    In Progress:

That's great, Little1! I've queried the Swayze agency a number of times and heard nothing back from them. They're one of the agencies that doesn't respond if not interested. They are, however, seriously legit.

Good luck!

Still the wrong side of Saskatoon Saskatoonistan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Little1 View Post
    Thanks Saskatoon. They sent me an email with a requst for more information.. :S I hope they like it and chose to rep me

Sent a query on 6/25
    Reqeust for more info 6/28

That's awesome! They seriously never respond unless they're interested. Well done!

My Website. Twitter.

AGENTED - AUGUST 24,2010 WOOT!!! AGENTED AGAIN February 2015! WOOT! WOOT!

"POLTERGEEKS is absolutely everything you could possibly want in YA fantasy!" STARBURST MAGAZINE

"Sean Cummings is a master of the dark fantastic. His writing brims with soul, guts, and a dark wit sharp enough to draw blood. Chris F. Holm, award winning author of The Collector Books

Thanks I am seriusly bouncing around right now I am so excited.. I can't send her the stuff she reqeusted until this evening do to work/family/ext. I will keep you all posted about how it goes good r bad.
    Last edited by Little1; 06-29-2010 at 08:10 PM.
    In Progress:

This hat is getting too hot Chumplet's Avatar
    They sound great! I can't believe I missed them in my research. I just sent a query/syn/10pages.

Good luck!! ^_^
    In Progress:

Quote Originally Posted by Chumplet View Post
    They sound great! I can't believe I missed them in my research. I just sent a query/syn/10pages.
    Good luck!!!!

This hat is getting too hot Chumplet's Avatar
    Thanks!

Professor of applied misanthropy Drachen Jager's Avatar
    She's right in my backyard so I queried her even though my book didn't really fit her list. She sent a very polite, kindly worded rejection, letting me know that my book didn't really fit her list.

Class act as far as I can tell.

A list of things to do and avoid on your first page. (Not my blog post, kudos to the fabulous Anne Mini for compiling those.)

Professor of applied misanthropy Drachen Jager's Avatar
    "Thank you for the interesting query. The concept has many worthwhile elements but due to our workload and current areas of expertise, I do not believe we are quite the right agency for this project. We are rarely able to add new authors to our roster."

I dug out the e-mail. Maybe that's what she says to everyone but it felt like it was directed at me.

A list of things to do and avoid on your first page. (Not my blog post, kudos to the fabulous Anne Mini for compiling those.)

just sent the information she requested :S BAH! I am so nervous :S
    In Progress:

I just got a R. Ah well, would have been nice to have her as an agent but there are more good agents out there
    In Progress:

Quote Originally Posted by Little1 View Post
    I just got a R. Ah well, would have been nice to have her as an agent but there are more good agents out there
    Keep on truckin'! You'll find the right one.

Quote Originally Posted by Drachen Jager View Post
    "Thank you for the interesting query. The concept has many worthwhile elements but due to our workload and current areas of expertise, I do not believe we are quite the right agency for this project. We are rarely able to add new authors to our roster."
    Got the exact same wording on my R (five weeks for the response) from a Rose Burkoff.

Still, they seem like a good outfit, repping several terrific writers.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    I recently queried them and got a very fast request for a partial from an agent there named Kris Rothstein. Has anyone here had personal experience with her?

Out, damn'd spot! out, I say. Lady MacBeth's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by estrempler View Post
    I recently queried them and got a very fast request for a partial from an agent there named Kris Rothstein. Has anyone here had personal experience with her?
    She read one of my novels and was very professional. Sadly, she rejected it in the end, but she gave me some great feedback.

Thanks Feedback is always (well, almost always) welcome.

Sorry that she gave you a rejection, though.

Hmm, well I got my response back from Kris a while back, and I must say, straightforwardly, that I was completely unimpressed. In her first message to me she seemed surprised that the first five pages weren't "thrilling", which seemed strange, since I read a lot of books and usually at least the first chapter is lead in. Then I sent her a partial, and she responded with a scathing and completely unhelpful short e-mail a while later, which said nothing of substance. It claimed that my "planning" was bad, among other extremely vague, non-constructive criticisms.

I should note that this is the first piece of criticism I have received in over 60 queries, and that she is the only person to claim that my first five pages were dull. All in all, the experience was strange, and I wouldn't recommend Kris as someone to work with. The experience didn't invest me with any faith in her abilities.

Is swimming with creativity frogs AlishaS's Avatar
    Thought it time to bump this thread.

So I sent out a query Feb 22 with 10 pages (first chapter as it turned out) as per their quidlines.
    Feb 27 Kris asked to see the next 60 pages
    March 6 got a reply from Kris requesting the full on a three week exclusive, but suggested I read through it again to catch a few grammatical errors (she pointed out a few things to look for)
    Granted 3 weeks, re-read and sent off full script. Now I'm just playing the waiting game!
    For Canadian agencies, this is one of the top and I would love to be signed with them

High and Dry

Thumbs up

Good luck AlishaS!! (And thanks for the bump.)

Is swimming with creativity frogs AlishaS's Avatar
    Sorry for the R and yes I agree sometimes it's better not to say anything, especially having only read such a short snippet of something. Maybe this is just her form rejection?

Anyways, keep on querying Jacki!

Quote Originally Posted by Jacki View Post
    Hello Everyone,

I queried 1/16/12 and received this response on 3/15/12. I always welcome constructive criticism, but this just seemed it would have been better to say nothing at all.

Thank you for the query which I found interesting. Unfortunately I didn't really find the way the scenario was executed believable or natural. Sorry to disappoint.

Rose

Since this agency only requests 10 pages I find it hard to understand how she could say the scenario wasn't believeable or natural in my execution. This agency states that they are interested in children's fantasy. I'm sure if they know the meaning of fantasy. Did you question in Narnia how there was another world in the wardrobe? Or in Percy Jackson how the Empire State building is a secret entrance to Mt. Olympus?

Jacki

Live a little. Write a lot. Karen Junker's Avatar
    I'm sure it's better to question the expertise of an agent than to wonder if there might be some fault with your own work.
    Karen Junker
    www.CascadeWriters.com
    "Spend a passionate weekend with your muse!"

*insert catchy phrase here* BarbaraSheridan's Avatar
    Have to agree with Karen here. That was constructive criticism as opposed to the usual non-reply of some agents or generic "Not for me" from most others.

Edit: Both your examples Percy Jackson & Chronicles of Narnia have openings that grab you within the first paragraph or two. Instead of finding fault with those works take a long look and see what they may have in the first ten pages that yours doesn't.
    Last edited by BarbaraSheridan; 03-17-2012 at 06:57 AM. Reason: hit send too soon
    ~Barbara Sheridan~
    Barb's website
    Falling Through Glass ~ On sale now! Paperback and ebook

Check out the "story behind the story", too.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast