The Bouncy Castle in Space

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
At some point today, I made it past the 5,000 posts mark! And I totally missed it. Oops. :D

:TheWave: :TheWave: :TheWave:

that redhead

Registered
Reaction score
Kitty, I love hearing about the little ones and your day. Heck, I love hearing about all the teacher's days. The kids are so cute. :)

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We have an official lice outbreak! Someone call the CDC! 6+ kids in a 12-classroom school so far. Yipes. 3 in classes that I work. I came in the office and noticed one of the naughtier kids sitting by himself. A coworker passed me a note reading DONT GET TOO CLOSE HE HAS LICE. I've been checked too but I'm clean!

AFter that I was outside with my kiddo working on a book report when the PE teacher came over and said "I think you need to go back to class because there's a bee-oh-em-bee threat. So we had a 45 minute lockdown, during which we read aloud the scene from "tales of a fourth grade nothing" leading up to Fudge eating Peter's turtle. It was all terribly civilized. Turns out someone reported a "suspicious truck" parked outside a nearby landmark. Sigh. There are random trucks out there every day of the year, but oh well. I guess the bomb squad had a fun afternoon outing...

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You know, I've been wondering if something weird's going on that's causing lice and bedbugs to become more problematic. There have been quite a few lice outbreaks in all the local jails, recently. Moreso than usual.

And sadly, the treatment is a) throw the person in isolation ("the hole") till the lice goes away, which of course, it won't, or b) shave their head. :(

Ferret

Dook!
Registered
Reaction score
You know, I've been wondering if something weird's going on that's causing lice and bedbugs to become more problematic. There have been quite a few lice outbreaks in all the local jails, recently. Moreso than usual.

And sadly, the treatment is a) throw the person in isolation ("the hole") till the lice goes away, which of course, it won't, or b) shave their head. :(

Hmm... I've heard a lot about bedbugs in the last year, but I kind of assumed it was just media hype--no more bugs than usual, just more stories about them. But maybe I was wrong. (It's happened once or twice before.)

timp67

Guinea pig in the laboratory of God
Registered
Reaction score
Mr. O'Malley had in fact worked as a farmer in his younger days, and he had sheared countless sheep in his time. He reached into a drawer, pulled out a heavy-duty metal shaver, plugged it in, and set about removing the dirty, matted fleece from Callum's head.
"Great Scott!" he exclaimed after two or three strokes of the shears. "This scalp is infested with lice."
"Dear oh dear," Mrs. T-G said to Callum calmly. "You do need cleaning up, don't you?"
—THE BOY WHO HOWLED
:)

starbeam

Registered
Reaction score
All this talk about lice has been making me itch and squirm! Can't we just bounce and talk about cookies, or something? :Jump::Jump:

fringle

always abroad
Registered
Reaction score
Lice! Ack! I am scared to death of it. My daughters each bring home at least 1 lice warning note every year from school, and I panic every single time. And I get the phantom itches just from reading the note and obsessively check everyone's hair for weeks afterwards. So far we've been lucky. If my 9yo ever gets lice, I don't know what we'd do. She has light-blonde hair to her waist. It'd be a nightmare to find and attack them in that.

I hope your head continues to remain uninfested.

We have an official lice outbreak! Someone call the CDC! 6+ kids in a 12-classroom school so far. Yipes. 3 in classes that I work. I came in the office and noticed one of the naughtier kids sitting by himself. A coworker passed me a note reading DONT GET TOO CLOSE HE HAS LICE. I've been checked too but I'm clean!

AFter that I was outside with my kiddo working on a book report when the PE teacher came over and said "I think you need to go back to class because there's a bee-oh-em-bee threat. So we had a 45 minute lockdown, during which we read aloud the scene from "tales of a fourth grade nothing" leading up to Fudge eating Peter's turtle. It was all terribly civilized. Turns out someone reported a "suspicious truck" parked outside a nearby landmark. Sigh. There are random trucks out there every day of the year, but oh well. I guess the bomb squad had a fun afternoon outing...

swachski

checking the 'reset' box
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I realized last night that I did the same thing as Smish, but on a smaller scale. I reached 1,000 posts and didn't even notice until it was 1,014. I blame the highly addictive Office Party for that. :D

:Jump::Jump::Jump:

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
Well, Smish, Huge congrats on the post count. Some day I hope to achieve such status. I may even have to resort to MsJudy's method.

Kitty - wow, what a day! But you didn't get the lice from me.

Timp - I was almost to the point of considering shaving my own head. I'm still itching just thinking about those little critters.

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
We went to the State Fair yesterday - treated the kids to a Darius Rucker concert (he's a country music singer).

Anyway, the first thing we did - very first - was stop by the horse barn to see what was going on. They had just finished English competition and were preparing for Western.

I said I'd like to watch a little bit of it, so we went inside. 10 yo with autism didn't particularly want to watch, but grudgingly joined us.

They were still 'warming up' or whatever you call it, and I was admiring all the beautiful horses. One smaller, but beautifully marked beast went by with an older gentleman rider.

All of a sudden, the horse began acting up, kind of bunching and hopping. I saw trouble coming, but thought he'd get the horse under control.

Didn't happen. The man was thrown, and right in front of us, and when he went down his head caught the concrete piling that went around the corner of the ring.

Panic ensued! Paramedics running in, people trying to get kids and horses out, other riders trying to catch the runaway horse and keep him from escaping. And my kid's having a meltdown because he thinks the man is dead.

Not a good start to a day at the fair, believe me.

Spiral

looking at the stars
Registered
Reaction score
Oh no, sissybaby. What a horrible thing to see :( Being a rider when I was younger, I've seen all sorts of nasty spills, so I know how scary it can be. Was the man ok? Was your kid ok?

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
Spiral - don't know the man's status. Ambulance showed up just as we were trying to sidetrack my son with something else. So we hopped on the skyride and took him to the other end of the fairgrounds.

He recovered, but was still worried about it at bedtime.

starbeam

Registered
Reaction score
How sad! What a horrible way to start out the fair! My thoughts and prayers go out to that gentleman, and for your son who was traumatized by it. I hope your son's not scared of horses because of this. :(