The Bouncy Castle in Space

Morrell

Registered
Reaction score
That's awesome. I'd love to join a writer's group in my area, but apparently, no one freaking writes around here. ;) I may have to just take inspiration from you, Smish, and start one.

I organized an informal monthly write-in at our local library. It was a slow starter (one month I was the only one who came) but it has gradually grown. We have about 10 members, with a core group of 3 to 5 who come regularly. We bring our laptops and write, and we talk about our works in progress, conferences we've attended, queries, or whatever people are interested in. During NaNoWriMo in November, we meet weekly and I post it on the NaNo site, so we get a few more participants. It's pretty easy to start a write-in--all you need is a space to meet, electric outlets, and a power strip or two. Oh, and a few other writers. You might find them if you put flyers in the library and coffee shops, and/or get it included in a community events listing.

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ahh why does editing have to be so annoying sometimes.

I freaking love to edit. My work. My crit partners' work. It's one of my very favorite things to do.

First drafts, though? I want to rip my hair out. And not just the hair on my head. I want to rip all my hair out, even those tiny, practically invisible, would-need-to-use-tweezers arm hairs.

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I think I agree with you, Smish. If I could get this first draft finished, I'd be much happier. But I keep going back and editing as I go, and I can't seem to break myself of that habit.

sigh - I am such a procrastinator.

And now we've got severe storms moving across the area again, so I can use that as a distraction.

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
playground king, do you mean revising? or truly editing?

editing is no big deal for me. I'm OCD enough that I don't make many mistakes...

but revising is a whole different thing. When you've already finished the story, it can be so hard to gather up the strength to go back and redo big important chunks. I usually can't manage it until I've gotten feedback from lovely beta readers. Usually they can say something that inspires me to dive back in.

playground

Registered
Reaction score
playground king, do you mean revising? or truly editing?

editing is no big deal for me. I'm OCD enough that I don't make many mistakes...

but revising is a whole different thing. When you've already finished the story, it can be so hard to gather up the strength to go back and redo big important chunks. I usually can't manage it until I've gotten feedback from lovely beta readers. Usually they can say something that inspires me to dive back in.

I guess a mix between editing and revising. I'm going through with a fine tooth comb to cut out about 20,000 words. So far not too bad though, it's amazing how many unnecessary words you think you need but then when you are looking to cut you think to yourself "why did I say it like this?"

So far so good though, I'm on chapter 17 out of 40 and have cut close to 6,000 words so far. I'm happy with the improvements so far and it's made my sentences stronger.

I'm also revising because I need to make my MC a bit more likeable in the beginning. But also I need to revise a couple of spots in the book that I'm not sure works or not. They're my babies so it's hard to possibly cut them but it's story first, ego seventh.

Smish

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
(And for the record, I enjoy revising, too. I just wish I got to do more of it. Damn those first drafts! Luckily, I have prolific writer friends who let me help them revise/edit their work. :D)

timp67

Guinea pig in the laboratory of God
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, the horror of the blank page...

Smish

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sing it, brother...

I write two sentences. Then delete them both. Then moan about how terrible I am. Then write two more sentences and send them to Sheila. And she says, "Smish, this isn't bad. Just KEEP WRITING."

:roll:

For the record, Sheila rocks. I have no idea why she puts up with my nonsense. :ROFL:

SheilaJG

Registered
Reaction score
Aw, :Hug2:

But it's true, your writing is so fun to read. If only there was, er, MORE of it. Hee hee.

I love to write first drafts (I have oodles of them), and you love to edit - what a great combo, right? Oh, except for that nagging guilt I get for getting back way more than I give.

So, get writing, or else! :box:

DavidBrett

Alas, poor Yorick, he fed me 'nanas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
davidbrettandrews.wordpress.com
Smish you do need to keep writing. What little I've read from you is great. Plus you have Sheila helping you? Wow, that's more than I have... Don't waste that golden opportunity!

Smish

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Aw, :Hug2:

But it's true, your writing is so fun to read. If only there was, er, MORE of it. Hee hee.

I love to write first drafts (I have oodles of them), and you love to edit - what a great combo, right? Oh, except for that nagging guilt I get for getting back way more than I give.

So, get writing, or else! :box:

:D

And you certainly shouldn't feel any guilt whatsoever. I enjoy reading your stuff!

Smish you do need to keep writing. What little I've read from you is great. Plus you have Sheila helping you? Wow, that's more than I have... Don't waste that golden opportunity!

Oh, yes. I'm very lucky in that regard. Lots of the kidlit peeps have helped me over the years (including Judy, and Cyia, and Mike, and drummergirl, and of course, all the rest of you who have provided thoughts/advice in SYW). I don't know what I'd do without you guys. :Hug2:

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
oh, smishie... sheila... while we're on the subject... I plan to finish Agatha within the week. If I can just get the boys to stay at their dad's house for a few days...

So anybody who needs a little summer beta reading, let me know!

Smish

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I would LOVE to read your book, Dave, but I have too much on my plate right now. If you need a second round of betas later, definitely ask again.

In the meantime, I have absolutely no doubt that sissy and Sheila will be excellent betas.

swachski

checking the 'reset' box
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What exactly is Beta?

Beta readers will read your entire manuscript, do line by line grammar suggestions, offer advice and opinions on plot, characters, story development, basically anything you are looking to improve. Frequently the Beta will also have a manuscript that they would like you to critique, so you get to help them and learn what works and doesn't work in someone else's writing.

At least that is my experience in working with three wonderful betas (so far).

You can learn more, or team up with a beta here

I would also be available to beta if anyone is interested.

Smish

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
To add to what Swachski said:

A beta is basically just a reader. They tell you what's working - and what's not! - in your book.

Not all betas are created equal, nor do they all do the same things (not all betas are good at pointing out grammar issues, for example). Anytime you have a beta, you should discuss with them what sort of help you're looking for and various other details. And generally, your novel should be as good as you can make it before you send it to a beta, unless you've made it very clear that it's a first draft.

And yes, there's a beta section here at AW. You can post a request for a beta there. However, I've found that the best way to find a good beta is to spend time in SYW. Get to know the people there. See who provides excellent critiques. Do you also enjoy their writing? If so, send them a PM.

If they say no, so what? Ask someone else. ;)

DavidBrett

Alas, poor Yorick, he fed me 'nanas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
davidbrettandrews.wordpress.com
Thanks for all the offers, folks - I'll get a roll on the ms once I've finished my June-July Prompt, which is another Ollie and Prof Hartigan story and, yes, its looks to be AS long as Plight of the Oberon. If not LONGER. Sorry about that... But then again it is six prompts altogether :p

I'd gladly beta in return, but I'm not perfect on grammar. Dialogue is my strong suit I think, followed by characterisation, description (according to Smish) and the rest.

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
*boing boing boing*

A good day today.

1) I finally figured out the freaking ending to Agatha! OMG, you'd think a person couldn't write 55K without having SOME idea how to end the damn thing... but I've been going in circles for weeks now. Then suddenly, it clicked. Went in a direction I hadn't thought of before, and the next-to-last chapter just flowed. Would've kept going, but my kids came home too soon. But the ideas are clear now, I'll get it done this week.

2) I got an e-mail from my friend in Iran. He's having some problems and may be stuck there for a while, but he's safe. So, huge sigh of relief.

Just gotta bounce!

Spiral

looking at the stars
Registered
Reaction score
It's 4:40 am and I can't sleep, so I thought I'd stop in for a bounce.:Jump::Jump:

I haven't really been around much lately, (hubby's been sick) but I hope to change that now.

Congrats on finding your ending Judy :)