The Bouncy Castle in Space

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Awwww, baby ducks! They're the cutest thing ever. Well, except for baby cows. I :heart: baby cows.

We had a wicked storm here today, with decent-sized hail. It sounded awesome.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sheila, didn't you tell him he'll have to chew up bugs and worms and regurgitate them into the ducklings' mouths? Sounds like big fun!

strictlytopsecret

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Neurochemically speaking, fear and excitement are nearly indistinguishable. The emotion you experience depends on the label you provide.

Just a little food for thought.

Good luck with your decision,
~STS~

p.s. As a card-carrying member of the grad school survivors club, I assure you, you definitely CAN do it.

p.p.s. I'll zip my lip now unless given express permission to continue this well-intended "harassment". :)

SheilaJG

Registered
Reaction score
Awwww, baby ducks! They're the cutest thing ever. Well, except for baby cows. I :heart: baby cows.

What is decent-sized? How big does hail get? My son's teacher mentioned something about grapefruit-sized hail, and I just find that hard to believe.

Smish

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
She did not say that! Please tell me she didn't say that. That is just so wrong.

She did.

I found it rather amusing.

But also very sad.

I can't imagine needing to have a partner, you know? I think I'm ready to date again, and it would be great to have someone. But I can't imagine what it's like to have your entire self-worth dependent on being part of a couple.

Smish

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What is decent-sized? How big does hail get? My son's teacher mentioned something about grapefruit-sized hail, and I just find that hard to believe.

I'm sure it can get that large. The biggest I've ever seen is golfball-sized hail. Today's hail was just quarter-sized.

I don't think there'll be any damage. And even if there is, it's worth it. I love hail. It's so cool to look out the window and see ice all over the place. :D

Smish

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, geez. Now, that's what I'll end up blurting to the doctor. "I love hail." With my Southern accent, he's bound to take that the wrong way...

Smish

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, and welcome to AW, strictlytopsecret! No need to zip your lip. :D

strictlytopsecret

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the friendly welcome.

And seriously, good luck with your decision.

The best way to conquer a fear is to mercilessly wrangle it into submission at every opportunity.

~STS~

Smish

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, it's apparently raining men in Judy's world. So, maybe she'll have some advice for me. ;)

But no... I'm not wearing a leotard and leg warmers or pretending to be Alex in Flash Dance (not in public, anyway!). Ain't gonna happen. :D

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
In related news, my secretary recently discovered that I'm going to be 30 in a few months. Her response? "Oh my gosh! I didn't realize you were that old. And you're single? Sorry..."

:Wha:

consider her smacked upside the head.

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
Well, it's apparently raining men in Judy's world. So, maybe she'll have some advice for me. ;)

But no... I'm not wearing a leotard and leg warmers or pretending to be Alex in Flash Dance (not in public, anyway!). Ain't gonna happen. :D

well... I did get asked out today. And I did say yes.

But it will be my first date in 20 years, so...not sure I've got a whole lot of advice for anybody!

I'm also totally freaked out because at first, the dating thing was like high school. the guys who sounded interesting didn't respond, and the guys who did communicate were...well, nice but boring.

Finally I got into a conversation with a guy I have a ton in common with. We're both teachers, both bilingual, both have two quirky sons, both are divorced from rather despicable exes. But he didn't seem really into the conversation, took forever to reply each time.

Then I got another match, a guy who is a writer and loves all the things I would be into if I had someone to do them with: theater, concerts, museums, traveling, hiking. So I figured, Oh, goody, never mind about that first guy.

Then first guy asked me out.

Yipes! Never been in this position before. So we'll see how it all plays out...

I guess you can call me Bella Swan.

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
p.s. Good for you, Kitty! The more you query, the easier it gets to ignore that butterfly feeling.

Smish

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds good, Judy! And you know, if the second one asks you out, you can say yes to him, too. That's allowed. Just don't double-book. I accidentally did that once, and it didn't turn out well... :rolleyes:

And Bachelor #1 probably took forever to respond because a) he's a busy teacher, b) he's a busy dad, and c) he's NOT a writer, and so it takes him longer to draft responses. ;)

When's your date? Need help picking an outfit? I recommend the leg warmers. :D

Butterbean

This boy just ain't right
Registered
Reaction score
Robstown,Texas..Birthplace of Texas hold 'em
Website
www.storiesfrommikeysworld.com

Smish, we'll be having some baby English bulldogs soon.:D They have a face only a mother can love.:roll:

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
a query letter!!!!!!!

And then...

I sent three more!

:e2thud: and also :e2faint:
Hey, congrats on sending them out, Kitty. It's a big step and really is very scary. But don't be too scared, we're here for you, and have plenty of drinks to calm your nerves :e2drunk:

My fingers and toes are crossed for positive responses. :)
I get all shy and flustered and my cheeks burn scarlet and I end up blurting something random like, "I sing in the shower!"
You sing in the shower? Really? Must check this out. :e2steer:

And as for the dating, you should go give that a try. You never know, you may like it ;)
In related news, my secretary recently discovered that I'm going to be 30 in a few months. Her response? "Oh my gosh! I didn't realize you were that old. And you're single? Sorry..."

:Wha:
OMG, you're that old? Wow!!! :D
Thanks for the friendly welcome.

And seriously, good luck with your decision.

The best way to conquer a fear is to mercilessly wrangle it into submission at every opportunity.

~STS~
Hey, strictlytopsecret, welcome to the kidlit gang :hi:
For those who want a copy of this video, just email me and I'll send it your way ;)
well... I did get asked out today. And I did say yes.
:e2woo:
Then I got another match, a guy who is a writer and loves all the things I would be into if I had someone to do them with: theater, concerts, museums, traveling, hiking. So I figured, Oh, goody, never mind about that first guy.

Then first guy asked me out.

Yipes! Never been in this position before. So we'll see how it all plays out...

I guess you can call me Bella Swan.
Keep us update on your progress :)

Smish

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You sing in the shower? Really? Must check this out. :e2steer:
Stop videotaping me!

And as for the dating, you should go give that a try. You never know, you may like it ;)

Yeah, I used to like it. And apparently I'm getting old, so should start dating again before I, you know, die.

OMG, you're that old? Wow!!! :D

Grrrrrrrrrrr.

For those who want a copy of this video, just email me and I'll send it your way ;)

Do it and die, buster. :guns:

Sigh. A good dragon is hard to find.

Kitty Pryde

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
OK. Queries sent: 7. Rejections: 2. Sanity resources: rapidly dwindling. How do you guys do it???

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
Well, Kitty, step #1 is to send out more queries as fast as the rejections come in, so you never quite lose hope.

step #2 is to get going on a new project that you absolutely love and are convinced will be 1000X better than anything you've ever done.

step #3 is your favorite (il)legal substance.

I had a snickerdoodle today, so that takes care of me!

Kitty Pryde

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, Kitty, step #1 is to send out more queries as fast as the rejections come in, so you never quite lose hope.

step #2 is to get going on a new project that you absolutely love and are convinced will be 1000X better than anything you've ever done.

So in conclusion, writing, booze, and cookies? My three favorite things! Perhaps it won't be so bad :D

I'm trying to force myself onward through the tricky bits of this WIP I've been at for ages now. Finishing it will be pleasing for sure.

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
OK. Queries sent: 7. Rejections: 2. Sanity resources: rapidly dwindling. How do you guys do it???

I can't argue with any of the above. However, what the heck is a snickerdoodle?
So in conclusion, writing, booze, and cookies? My three favorite things! Perhaps it won't be so bad :D
Writing, booze and cookies :drool
I'm trying to force myself onward through the tricky bits of this WIP I've been at for ages now. Finishing it will be pleasing for sure.
Some of the best writers out there got loads of rejection slips. Just keep plugging away, you'll get there. I believe in you :)