The Bouncy Castle in Space

summerb

Registered
Reaction score
Oooh! Good luck, Dave! I don't have advice for you, as I haven't got that far yet. I would be just as stuck as you, there are pros/cons to each scenario.

Everyone else, the kid stories are killing me right now. So funny, the total humiliation from a tiny tootlet.

I know I've sort of disappeared off the face of the planet, I've been writing a shiny new project for Camp NaNoWriMo and it's kicking my ass (it's middle grade, and now I feel like I need to change that to say "butt") I'm already behind and it's only the first week. :( Some of the chapters are somewhat research intensive and I keep getting trapped in the paralysis of thinking what I'm doing next sucks. BLERG.

Ok, well just wanted to check in and say hi to everyone. Good luck all, hopefully I'll be able to come up for air after April is over!

DanielaTorre

Registered
Reaction score
I feel ya Summer. I've been m.i.a. around here too on account of school, obligations, writing and life in general. Sometimes I look at my ms and think "Oh gawd why?"

But the flame has been lit under my bum by some classy-ass lady and I'm getting some great mojo flowing and actively editing and revising. Apparently I had glazed some character consistencies and I'm tackling that right now. Finals are coming up and hopefully it won't slow me down, but like you, I can't wait for April to be over. :gaah Good luck on NaNoWriMo!

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Dave, if you're still revising, I don't think you should send your manuscript as is. Just my opinion, of course, but I've always heard that your manuscript should be as good as you can make it before sending it out.

Good luck with the writing, summer!

Laura J

Odessa Quinn
Registered
Reaction score
I'm working on camp, but got side tracked editing. My story is all plotted.

I think I'm going to switch back to my new story. Camp was more fun.

Editing is good. I'm learning a lot. I'm shocked how much I've grown and how much I still don't know.

Dave, "Ben says good luck, that's cool!" There may or may not have been a dude in there somewhere.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have to report back in that the embarrassed tooter was in a great mood the day after The Unspeakable Incident Of The Tiny Toot In English Class, and she said that nobody teased her or even mentioned it. I like it when the kids surprise me with their goodness.

By the way, have all the bouncers entered the contest? :Jump: :Jump: :Jump:

Me me I did oooh me!

Britwriter

Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like others have been crazy busy too.

Dave, good luck with the subs.

I'm busy with different projects. I thought 2013 would be a great year, and it's proving me right. Lots of great stuff going on. :)

Busy with children's theater too this month - I do a lot of volunteer work for them, and write the program, etc.

Right now I need to come up with some snarky comments for the Fairy Godmother (in Cinderella) and thought maybe some of you guys could help out, if you're feeling witty?!!

These are quick aside comments that she is to make supposedly to members of the audience at various points. They need to sound flattering, but be double-edged. She's a self-absorbed, vain kind of Fairy Godmother, and queen of the put-down.

I"m thinking along the lines of hair styles/roots needing touching up, dress-sense, fashion, age, etc. (These won't be actually directed at individuals, it will just seem so, so it's not mean, just funny).

Any witty one-liners by the weekend would be very welcome! I've got a few, but need about 20 for her to pick from.

Kitty Pryde

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You're very brave to wear that shade of green.
What an interesting looking child.
I've never seen such thick, lustrous nose hair, sir.

Laura J

Odessa Quinn
Registered
Reaction score
She could say something mean, but say, 'not you, you totally pull it off.' I'm pretty good at snarky comments, I think them all the time, but don't say them. I can think some mean things, but I never say them. If I had some context I could so better.

Britwriter

Registered
Reaction score
You're very brave to wear that shade of green.
What an interesting looking child.
I've never seen such thick, lustrous nose hair, sir.

Love it!!! You're a natural!

If you've got any more, I'd love them. :)

SheilaJG

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, everyone is so busy writing, I feel like a sloucher.

Britwriter - your Fairy Godmother reminds me a bit of Dame Edna, who was hilarious at putting down audience members. Some classic Dame Edna: "I'm trying to find a word to describe what you're wearing . . . affordable?" or "That dress does look nice in the bigger size." "You've aged tragically, but I stay the same, it isn't fair." I wish I could think of something original, but I'm blanking.

Spiral

looking at the stars
Registered
Reaction score
Schools were all cancelled here today, in anticipation of an epic ice storm. So writing for the contest may not happen. But, even if I don't manage to get an entry together, I will look forward to reading all of the stories!

summerb

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the well wishes :) I'm barely going to make my deadline for camp, so probably won't enter the contest :( but excited to read all the other entries!

Laura: good lunch fellow camper!

Nicola: would it be funny to have her day things more modern than her character?

-What an interesting ensemble, but you know what the kids say, yolo
-(alternately) I see you've taken the phrase yolo to heart... Especially with regard to that outfit/hairstyle
-That hairstyle, madam, is simply epic. Epic fail.
-I see we share a belief in the importance of ones roots. Although I'm usually not referring to the ones on your head..

Kitty: glad the tiny toot turned out to be nbd. :) I'll have to tell you about my similar situation while teaching gymnastics 8 months pregnant...

heza

Registered
Reaction score
When I was in school, my roommate's mother was queen of the back-handed compliment. Here are a few of the things she said to me (completely unsolicited btw):

"How pretty you look. You know, some girls just can't wear makeup well, but on you it really makes all the difference."

"I see you filled out over the summer. What a lovely figure. And I can see how it would make it difficult to find modest blouses."

"You're so lucky to be a brunette--brown is such a sturdy color."

"You have such pretty eyes; they don't look vacant at all."

"No matter what anyone else says, I think you look handsome with short hair."

I'm not sure if my news is bouncy or sad. My SO is going away for the weekend. It's the first time we'll be apart since we moved in together. On the other hand, I have the whole apartment to myself for two days.

I'm not sure what to do with the time.

I'm thinking I might make a bulletin board. I'm a pantser, and I've been writing my book sort of randomly--scenes I know I need... but out of order. Now I need to decide the order and see how much a need to write in between them in way of providing transitions and necessary information.

I was thinking I could write down each scene I have on a notecard and then tack them on a long skinny bulletin board so I could see them all at the same time. I just need to make the bulletin board.

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, Heza - I'm sorry anyone felt justified in making those kinds of remarks to you. How sad. Sounds like she possibly envied your looks. ?

I so wish my SO would take a weekend off - way off! But he'd need to take all the kids with him.

Good luck with the bulletin board idea. I don't even know how I'd begin something like that. Definitely a pantser.

Kitty Pryde

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
When I was in school, my roommate's mother was queen of the back-handed compliment. Here are a few of the things she said to me (completely unsolicited btw):

"How pretty you look. You know, some girls just can't wear makeup well, but on you it really makes all the difference."

"I see you filled out over the summer. What a lovely figure. And I can see how it would make it difficult to find modest blouses."

I'm not sure if my news is bouncy or sad. My SO is going away for the weekend. It's the first time we'll be apart since we moved in together. On the other hand, I have the whole apartment to myself for two days.

I'm not sure what to do with the time.

I'm thinking I might make a bulletin board. I'm a pantser, and I've been writing my book sort of randomly--scenes I know I need... but out of order. Now I need to decide the order and see how much a need to write in between them in way of providing transitions and necessary information.

I was thinking I could write down each scene I have on a notecard and then tack them on a long skinny bulletin board so I could see them all at the same time. I just need to make the bulletin board.

post its might work better on the wall, then you wouldn't need a bulletin board. the office store sells them in regular and medium and jumbo sizes!

heza

Registered
Reaction score
post its might work better on the wall, then you wouldn't need a bulletin board. the office store sells them in regular and medium and jumbo sizes!

*shrug* It probably would... but I like pretty things! :e2file: I've got all the supplies already (remnants of one I made for a friend), so all that's required is the gumption.

sissybaby said:
Wow, Heza - I'm sorry anyone felt justified in making those kinds of remarks to you. How sad. Sounds like she possibly envied your looks. ?

Not much there to envy, but her daughter was... on the large side, I'll say. Not overweight, just very large, tall and muscular and intimidating to the boys. So I might have been getting some backlash because of that.

Smish

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

That's what I do. Slap post-its on the wall. I tried to be a little neater last year and hung a bulletin board, but ended up back to the post-its. They're easier to move and you have a bigger space to work with if you just use the wall. :)

Hope that ice storm misses you, Spiral. After the storm passes, you need to move. Ice storms in April?! Yikes. If you miss this contest, another one will roll around again at the end of summer. ;)

Laura J

Odessa Quinn
Registered
Reaction score
I like to do Save the Cat on my dresser. It is perfectly broken into sections with drawers. Granted, when I say usually, it means once. Only tow completed books and one more plotted.

I used sticky tack and index cards.

I found a iPad app with post its, Infinote. I'm liking it so far for plotting.

Britwriter

Registered
Reaction score

Oh my gosh, how mean! I'm sorry she said those to you! Wow, and here I am making a list of similar comments for character on stage to say, not imagining I"d get inspiration from someone real! Sad that anyone would get a kick out of being so mean. Honestly.*sigh*

Sheila, you're right, she is very like Dame Edna, and very funny. Adding these asides as comments to the audience as she walks through will be icing on the cake!

Morrell

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, my. These are hilarious, but so mean--it's hard to believe anyone would actually say them. This is not nearly as funny as Kitty's, Summerb's, and Laura's fake ones, or as funny/sad as Heza's roommate's mother's real ones, but years ago after I was honored with an award from the school district, one of my coworkers said, "Oh, congratulations on your little award." LOL... if you're going to insert a zinger, why bother to give a compliment at all?

Smish

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Insults can be accidental, too. My best friend in high school and I had this conversation once:

Her: You're so pretty. That's why you have a boyfriend and I don't.
Me: That's not true! Lee would be with me even if I looked like you.
Her: Hmph.
Me: That didn't come out right. You know what I meant. You're beautiful. And smart. You're in line to be valedictorian!
Me: Don't be like that. I'd die if I looked like you!
Me: That didn't come out right, either. You know what I meant!
Me: Give me a break. You're the valedictorian here, not me.
Her: You're right. This conversation proves that a person can't have beauty and brains.
Me: Hmph.