The Bouncy Castle in Space

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, guys -

I probably won't be around this week. So, have lots of fun, but save me a brownie or two. I'll see you on Friday. :D

:)Smish

MJWare

Kidlit gang, Junior member.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.MJAWare.com
You earned over $1,000 in one day? Wow. Congrats!
Yes, that's right. If you download it from Amazon I get 35 cents. Not much, but with so many downloads it's really adding up.

I'm still not sure why Amazon choose me. One of the other authors is guessing it's because our books were ranked high in the free book section at Barnes and Noble and they are trying to compete.

Thanks again for everyone who downloaded it

Here's the link for anyone interested: Monster in the Mirror

Last edited:

MJWare

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.MJAWare.com
Hey, guys -

I probably won't be around this week. So, have lots of fun, but save me a brownie or two. I'll see you on Friday. :D

Hopefully you'll be taking a well deserved vacation. But knowing you, I doubt it :-(

EagerReader

commaholic and adverb junkie
Registered
Reaction score
Woot! That's such exciting news, mware01!! Congratulations! Sounds like it's moving right up!

Have a good week, Smish!! Hope it's fun stuff!

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Woop woop! Tomorrow I am leaving for my 335 mile bike ride (see mah sig). I am only $25 short of my goal of raising $3000! The nonprofit I am raising money for runs mainly on volunteer labor and provides outdoor recreation for kids and adults with physical and cognitive disabilities. It's a really small organization that serves hundreds of people every year. It's an awful lousy time for nonprofits the last few years. This org just had to lay off one of its only four staff because of budget cuts. I hope they will be around for many years to come.

I also hope my butt will not be too sore after 335 miles on the bike. Ouchie! :D I'll be back in a week!

Last edited:

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
Well, Kitty, kudos to you for the tremendous effort. I couldn't ride a bike five miles and still walk the next day.

I admire you for what you're doing. As a disabled person and the mother of a disabled child, I appreciate anyone who unselfishly gives of their time and resources.

EagerReader

commaholic and adverb junkie
Registered
Reaction score
Fabulous way to use your tiime, Kitty. Tip my hat to you. Awesome. I hope the weather cooperates and your butt hangs in there! 335 miles? Ouch is right.

MJWare

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.MJAWare.com
Well, my Amazon 100% off sale is over. I "sold" 5,401 copies. Not too shabby. If anyone really wanted to read it or my other shorts they are on smashwords, Apple, and B&N for free. Amazon is the only one that makes you charge. But they have the monopoly currently so they are calling the shots.

Just to give you an idea of their market share. In two months my free ebook had 746 downloads on B&N. On Amazon, 5401 in just 5 days!

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
Well, my Amazon 100% off sale is over. I "sold" 5,401 copies. Not too shabby. If anyone really wanted to read it or my other shorts they are on smashwords, Apple, and B&N for free. Amazon is the only one that makes you charge. But they have the monopoly currently so they are calling the shots.

Just to give you an idea of their market share. In two months my free ebook had 746 downloads on B&N. On Amazon, 5401 in just 5 days!
That calls for a 'woo' and a 'hoo' :e2woo:

Smish

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just popping in for a sec. I'm hard at work this week, I'm afraid, but I'm getting a change of scenery, so it has been kind of fun. :)

Hope you have a ton of fun, Kitty!! :D :D :D

SheilaJG

Registered
Reaction score
Smish was here. That calls for a

:e2woo:

Kitty's riding, (I hope not :e2bike2:) that's a double

:e2woo: :e2woo:

I've written 20,000 words based on my Sept prompt. :yessmiley:

abctriplets

Registered
Reaction score
Website
abctriplets.blogspot.com

Wow, that's amazing! Sort of reminds me of a story I heard a while back. I think it was during the first season of Who wants to be a Millionaire, or some other show like that. The host casually plugged the contestant's book. And while the contestant didn't go home with the million dollars, his sales ranking shot up at Amazon, and ended up earning more from that plug than from the show itself.

As for me, I think I've finished revising my book, and hopefully the potential agent will love the revisions. Just need to find a few betas to make sure the story still makes sense after all the cutting :)

MJWare

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.MJAWare.com
Wow, that's amazing! Sort of reminds me of a story I heard a while back. I think it was during the first season of Who wants to be a Millionaire, or some other show like that. The host casually plugged the contestant's book. And while the contestant didn't go home with the million dollars, his sales ranking shot up at Amazon, and ended up earning more from that plug than from the show itself.

As for me, I think I've finished revising my book, and hopefully the potential agent will love the revisions. Just need to find a few betas to make sure the story still makes sense after all the cutting :)

It was really cool, but seems to just be a blimp on the radar. I rushed to put out a collection of short stories (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0045Y1OJ8/?tag=absowrit-20), I've only sold 4 so far =-)

Oh well, you never know until you try. Plus, I'll be getting a check from Amazon for almost 2k in two months. That'll help pay for some workshops, conferences, and probably Christmas gifts.

Smish

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I sure wouldn't mind a check for $2,000! Way to go. :D

I spent last week at a legal conference. The whole week was spent doing trial practice, but a lot of it had to do with writing, too. There are a lot of similarities between writing and trial work -- it's all about telling the story.

One technique that translates well between trial work and fiction is storyboarding - thinking of the story in 'chapters' and writing (or even drawing) scenes on post it notes or index cards, and moving the cards around to figure out the best way to effectively convey the story. In both my trial practice and in my writing, I've always tried to outline on paper, in a linear, bullet-point fashion. I think storyboarding will work better for me.

Anyway, it was a tough week (we spent twelve hours a day in classes or doing prep work for mock trials), but it was a lot of fun. And I think the techniques will make me both a more effective trial attorney and a more effective novelist.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh hai guys! I just got home. We had quite a thrilling bike ride. Five days, 335 miles, five flat tires. Awful weather on day 1 with cold and a strong headwind, but decent hot weather after that. I'm very sore and I have a very unusual tan. Together my sweetie and I (she rode too) raised over $3000!!

Wow! Awesomeness! Congrats.

JoyMC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joymcculloughcarranza.com
Together my sweetie and I (she rode too) raised over $3000!!

that's amazing!!! go you!

i'm getting suuuper close to finishing the first draft on my (first) middle grades novel! i'm so incredibly proud of myself. i've written a lot of plays over fifteen years, but this just feels like a huge accomplishment breaking into a new form.

i also just finished reading The Hunger Games trilogy (which i loved) and am decompressing with The Magician's Elephant.

MJWare

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.MJAWare.com
Kitty, I know I'm late on this, but congratulations on your Charity ride. I've ridden on and off your years, but I've never ridden anywhere near that far!

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
It's been a long few weeks at work. Not a lot of writing done. Well, none. I'm bad. And very tired. Needed some bouncing on some sort of inflatable castle. And as luck would have it, I knew the place to come. :D

Oh, happy Halloween :scared: