The Bouncy Castle in Space

Morrell

Registered
Reaction score
Speaking of Grimm's Fairy Tales (as we were on the other thread), is anybody else loving Once Upon A Time?

And look how good I'm being by not hijacking the other thread.

Happy weekend, everyone!

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, Once Upon A Time! I love it. But I like Fables better.

Enhhhhh, I'm siiiiick. Came home early from work, now lazing about sadly. Apparently this is what's going around. Just as I was telling my boss I was pondering going home, she got a message that my morning student had just gotten sick. At least I missed that...

Morrell

Registered
Reaction score
Aww, feel better, Kitty. It's a good thing schools will be closing soon for winter break, because there are waaayyy too many germs flying around.

Ferret

Dook!
Registered
Reaction score
I love Once Upon a Time, too! :)

And I'm sick, too. :( Not on-my-deathbed, in-absolute-agony sick, but my throat does hurt a lot. At least it's Friday and I got to come home early.

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
Woot!!! I'm on vacation!!! Three weeks of sleeping in!!! Um, I mean, three weeks of devoting hours to writing...

monkeymum

Registered
Reaction score
:Jump::Jump::Jump::Jump::Jump::Jump::Jump::Jump:

Could do with a bounce to stay warm! Boiler has ground to a halt, so no heating and hot water until Tuesday at the earliest, as well as a laptop which is dying a slow and painful death and two children who have picked up headlice from school :(

The timing is spot on as usual!

Marzipan

Registered
Reaction score
I love Once Upon a Time, too! :)

Ooo! Whats that? o.o

You guys are so brave to teach. I use to sub for elementary school (My mother and mother-in-law are 3rd grade teachers) and boy did it show me I wouldn't be a good teacher.

Morrell

Registered
Reaction score
Ooo! Whats that? o.o

It's a TV show about fairy tale characters trapped (by an evil queen's curse) in a small town in Maine, where they go about their lives in the modern world--until Snow White (who is now a teacher by the name of Mary Margaret) gives a storybook to a little boy named Henry. He then starts to figure out everyone's true identity. He tracks down his biological mother in Boston and (though she doesn't believe a word he's saying about the fairy tales) the two of them begin trying to unravel what's going on.

The first 6 episodes (including the pilot) are available free on Hulu until Jan 9.

Kitty Pryde

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I am better! I've been well for more than 24 hours so now I am baking like a maniac for work people. Ginger cookies, peppermint bark, and chocolate chip caramel chai cookies. I'm also working on a couple of kid presents in between--making a personalized stationary kit for my one student to encourage her letter-writing ways, a "pink fairy" doll as requested for her little brother who is a princess enthusiast, a set of mini stories about "Padawan Pasquale" (the space-faring alter-ego of my other student), and an extremely silly Star Wars-themed story starring the 4th grade class I work in.

And I'm off!

playground

Registered
Reaction score
Lost all my data on my computer. Luckily I had my two novels already backed up, but my third one was not. 10,000 words down the drain... *sigh*

Last edited:

Morrell

Registered
Reaction score
Aw, playground king, so sorry! That's a big chunk to lose, hope you can reconstruct it.

Kitty, you're so creative--love those specifically targeted presents! Glad you got well. Hope Ferret is better, too, and that things are looking up for Monkeymum.

I'm off to my daughter's condensed-version-of-Nutcracker performance. They do it every year. This year she's a snowflake and ... I don't know, a peppermint doll, or something? Also a mouse. The biggest girls are mice this year, in a bold recasting move by the director, and the tiny tots are Sugarplum Fairies. It should be entertaining! :)

Marzipan

Registered
Reaction score
So sorry Playground King :( If it makes you feel better Robert Lewis Stevenson wrote the first draft of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde then torched it and re-wrote it from memory. He said the story was better for it.

As for baking, I just made 16 dozen orange slice cookies and I want to scream.

Thanks Ruth, I need to check that out. My mother-in-law is hung up on the fairy-tale show on SyFy and so far I like it too.

Kitty Pryde

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have finished writing my masterpiece, The Return of the Jedi's Homework. If you have not tried writing a thousand word satire about homework and Star Wars starring 29 people, I can safely say that I don't recommend it! I think it's funny, though. If you like tortoise-themed in-jokes...

starbeam

Registered
Reaction score
Playground king, I'm soo sorry! I know how it feels to lose your story. It happened to me once. Only I lost two stories at once. :( I hope you'll be able to recreate them. Just take a deep breath, grab a piece of paper, and start outlining what you lost. Better to do that while they're still fresh. Hang in there!

Ruth, the play sounds super cute! I hope you enjoy/enjoyed it!

Kitty, your satire sounds fun! You should post it sometime so we can take a look at it!

I've been a mess lately trying to finish knitting presents for my family in time for Christmas. Luckily I just finished a shawl for my mom, and it's ready for blocking. Now for the last fingers on a pair of gloves I'm knitting for my sister. Can't wait to see my fam for Christmas!

Ferret

Dook!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm making eggnog cupcakes with rum frosting. I've haven't tried the cupcakes yet, but I can definitely say the frosting turned out well.

Sorry to hear about your tech problems, Playground King. Have you considered using online backup? Flashdrives and e-mails are easy backup methods, too.

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
king, that's awful! Which reminds me I need to do some back-ups of my own. I save to a flashdrive at least once a week, and I email myself the complete MS about once a month. It's just so hard trying to remember all your brilliant ideas otherwise...

playground

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the support guys. I thought I had emailed the chapters to a backup email address and had it on my flash drive but I didn't. While it stinks I am ecstatic that my two novels are backed up. I think I would have lost it if I lost EVERYTHING. I will say though this has taught me something. I'm backing everything up everyday now. I don't want to go through this twice.

Have any of you guys gotten snow yet? I think we should be getting some within the next week or two.

Laura J

Odessa Quinn
Registered
Reaction score
Have you all tried Carbonite? It is only like $50 a year and it backs it up for you, off site. I found it really handy when I got a new computer and I used it to transfer my files to it.

I don't have it on my netbook. I'm waiting for my subscription to run out next month on my desktop so I can renew it with 3 computers. Well worth the money.

I also email it to myself and I print it up at least every other week, but that is for figuring out where I am and for letting my hubby read.

Stinks losing that much work. At least it wasn't everything.