The Bouncy Castle in Space

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
I've been mulling over this question myself, of why there tends to be less participation in this section of the forum and I think there are multiple reasons:

1. There isn't a large children's book author contingent here.

2. Questions unique to children's books here (as opposed to more general publishing questions) are also unique to a specific kind of children's book, which makes the numbers of responders even smaller. There is such a wide variety of kinds of children's books that require unique knowledge and understanding of them. A picture book writer might not have advice for a MG writer and vice versa. Chapter books are not the same as MG books and have their own technique. And board books are a beast all their own. Further this grouping also not only has writers but also illustrators in it, and those who write might not have any words of wisdom for an artist and again, vice versa. As such while we all can be supportive in spirit for each other, there aren't as many universal tips we can offer each other unique to our particular marketing category that can't be found in the general "AW Roundtable" and agent and editor sub sections.

3. Of all the categories, self publishing children's books is one of the hardest because children's books rely on the support of librarians and teachers, and librarians and teachers really only tend to get their materials from the trade publishers. So this means we can't really even discuss much about self publishing here, and those who do have questions about it won't find many people with experience to help them out.

So yeah, these are some of my theories. Though I do regularly check here in case there are any MG related questions as I do feel I have learned a lot about the subject and like to help whenever I can. It's just . . . trickier. . . being a children's book author. BUt we still rock. And we're still there for each other. Let's maybe resolve not be afraid in the coming year to speak up when we need help or just a pep talk. I'm always lurking around at least, happy to chat :) .

Supergirlofnc

New fish; Swimming with the current
Registered
Reaction score
Happy New year! Like toothpaste, I try to check in regularly, too. Many times I just don't have any news or I don't have any experience in what's being discussed. Maybe we should have a once a week check-in kidlit party in 2016...

SuperKate

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidbooklist.com
I'm also in the peek-in-but-rarely-chime-in crowd. I love the idea of a weekly check in. Maybe Fridays?

I'm SO close to finishing my first draft of my second book. Meanwhile, I have fulls out on the first book, just waiting to hear. The second one is a lower MG, focused on a girls' soccer team, with 3 POVs and lots of diversity. It's been really fun to write. I had hoped to be finished with the first draft by the end of the year, but I'll get there this weekend, I think.

Laurie, have I told you how much my daughter loved your book? She devoured it! It's on my list to read soon.

Happy new year, everyone!

DanielaTorre

Registered
Reaction score
Happy New Year to everyone! Glad to see so many of you dropping in.

I agree with Toothpaste's points. I'd also like to add that I think many of us initially came here to learn. Now that we've absorbed and honed our skill, we've sort of receded to lurking. I still post on other threads about random things, but since I see no movement in the kidlit forum, I refrain from posting.

As for me, I'm still on sub with my first book. Only a handful of months. Even if it's still early in the game I sort of got into the mindset that it's not going to sell because, well, it's a first book and they rarely do. The market is tough. And surprisingly enough, I'm super okay if it doesn't.

Last night I finished edits and rewrites on my second manuscript. I do what I always do and completely transcribe it from scratch which would have taken longer were it not for the holidays. A lot of time off from work meant a lot of time to type. I think it's super solid for a second draft. It's first person and loads of fun. I'll be looking for betas next week.

Toothpaste

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
I like the idea of a check in day! Shall we agree on Friday? Though since things have been rolling a bit here, I suppose I can add to the conversation by saying my editor got me my edits last Sunday so I'm starting off new year right off at a pace. Which I think is a good thing. I'm still terribly nervous about this book, it's been a long time since I've done MG and even though it's the place I feel most comfortable it's still a little scary to be back. Keeping fingers tightly crossed!

paddismac

Parasite free since '09
Registered
Reaction score
How exciting! People in the kiddie pool!

I love the idea of a weekly check-in, though I wouldn't have much of anything to contribute — other than a persistent refrain of "stupid goat book still isn't finished". Maybe a check-in would shame me into finishing. I have told myself that this manuscript WILL be queried this year or it will be deleted from my life. The constant tinkering could go on indefinitely if I allow it to, and I have other projects wanting my attention.

Adrienne, is this TEC that is still going through edits, or is it Book Two? I'm looking forward to TEC's release!

CheG

Registered
Reaction score
Website
chegilson.blogspot.com
I've just been stuck lately and haven't started anything new. I have ideas, and characters, but only vague half formed plots I don't quite know how to wrap my head around. Or they are suffering from a lack of knowledge. One idea I have is supposed to be set in an ancient Middle East analog but I am having a devil of a time finding information on that time period. And not big historical events, I need things like people's day-to-day lives. What they eat, what they wore, what their houses looked like. All I keep running into are Biblical times histories about kingdoms and such. But not like what a middle class family would eat for dinner.

Toothpaste

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
paddismac: it's TEC. It's not out till 2017. Which makes all the stuff happening around it even more particularly odd (and kind of like extra pressure too :p ). And thank you so much for saying so! Like I said above I'm quite nervous. I mean, don't get me wrong, I love the book, but . . . I'm still nervous :) .

paddismac

Parasite free since '09
Registered
Reaction score
paddismac: it's TEC. It's not out till 2017. Which makes all the stuff happening around it even more particularly odd (and kind of like extra pressure too :p ). And thank you so much for saying so! Like I said above I'm quite nervous. I mean, don't get me wrong, I love the book, but . . . I'm still nervous :) .

Oh okay! That's interesting. I guess in my total cluelessness I assumed that once you had a (tentative) release date that most of what was left to do was all in the physical "production" end of the process. Hope your edits aren't too extensive! (I can imagine getting edits back and thinking "if the manuscript was THIS bad, why did you buy it in the first place???":Wha:)

Supergirlofnc

Registered
Reaction score
Friday works for me for a check-in day!

Daniela and SuperKate - I'll keep my fingers crossed for your books on sub and your new manuscripts! And SuperKate - I'm so thrilled your daughter liked my book! I hope you do as well. It's my debut book so this year has been a roller coaster.

Toothpaste - Good luck on your edits! It sounds like a great way to start the new year. I understand about being nervous, though. I'm waiting for feedback on my third book and I'm nervous as well. I feel like it's going in the right direction but it's not quite there yet.

Paddismac - I'm sending you my best 'finish your project' vibes. I hope by next year your querying it - or even better have sold it - and are working on the next project!

Che - Good luck on your historical! I'm not sure where to find that info. Maybe you should ask on the research thread? Or maybe in historical fiction? They might have some suggestions.

Here's to a great and bouncy 2016 :hooray::hooray::hooray:

DanielaTorre

Registered
Reaction score
Thank's Laurie! Well wishes for the new year.

Fridays sound nice. I don't know if we'll have news every Friday, lol. But we can try.

I think I'm going to dive into prepping a synopsis for my new manuscript. I don't think my brain is ready to let go of it so I might as well wring it all out at once. That way I can send it off to my agent and move on to the other project that's a quarter of the way in. Dammit, I'm going to get something published so help me! 2016 will be my year. :box::box:

Toothpaste

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
paddismac - lol, I can understand that :) . Actually no though, the reason the trade publication process is that long (usually 18 months, mine's a bit longer because some things were shifted around) is because editors really are editors. They are fantastic people really :) . It's really like in the movies. Editors really do work with an author, going through the work with a fine toothed comb and together make the book amazing. I have no idea what book gets bought that is flawless and ready to go right away, but I can't think there are many if any. There's always a back and forth, making it better. Usually at least two rounds of edits (this is my second round). This doesn't mean that it's always extreme, nor as some certain types of people like to say does an editor change the very nature of your book effectively ruining it. It just means taking a very close look. Bringing forward elements they feel might be stronger, clarifying things that as a writer you might not realise need clarification since you know all the answers in your head. Maybe these two character could be combined? Is that extra scene necessary? What about the potted plant in the third chapter, are you not going to explain that? The subplot is feeling a little rushed, can we flesh it out more? Sometimes the book becomes basically the same as it was at the beginning but sharper, more defined. Sometimes editors suggest a complete rework and the author agrees it's necessary.

Getting a publishing deal is only the beginning part of working on the novel. Now this doesn't mean the MS itself is in poor shape and one can just submit anything since an editor will make it better anyway. It's more like an elite athlete working with a coach. The athlete needs to be in top physical form, needs to understand her sport inside and out, needs to be at a certain level before he/she can even be considered a professional. Certainly there were coaches along the way, people who taught her how to do things, but eventually she is so fantastic at playing tennis that what she now needs is that coach that she takes to Wimbledon with her. The kind of coach who offers suggestions during the game, strategies depending on who she's playing opposite, ways to be more efficient etc. This doesn't mean she isn't an incredibly great tennis player, it just means everyone needs help :) . It's about being on a team, no leader, no follower, but two people with unique abilities coming together to create something great.

(uh not that I'm comparing myself to an elite athlete or anything, right now I don't know if remember how to put together a quality sentence . . . :p )

Last edited:

SuperKate

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidbooklist.com
I love hearing everyone's updates! Dani, you're on sub! Holy hat, that's fantastic! Good for you for keeping a lid on expectations, but over here, I'm jumping up and down for you. I'm happy to read for you on book 2, if you'd like.

Toothpaste, woo hoo for edit letters! That is my dream. The back and forth you describe is what I long for, and a huge motivator for me to keep aiming for trad publishing. I got an amazing R&R from an agent that gave me a taste of that, and it was so fantastic and helpful. Good luck with your edits!

Paddismac, your goat book sounds super intriguing. I'm happy to guilt you into finishing, if it'll help. :)

Laurie, book 3! So awesome! Go go go!

Che, I've always wanted to try historical fiction. I'll be interested to hear how it goes. Good luck!

And jvc, I'm sorry to hear about your health issues. I hope that you are on the mend and that 2016 is an easier run for you.

It sounds like we have consensus on a Friday check-in. I love that idea, and I don't think we have to have tons to show for ourselves. Just a hello would be nice. Could whoever is checking in first start a new Friday Check-In thread? I always feel strange posting in this thread when I don't actually have good news to share.

DanielaTorre

Registered
Reaction score
I love hearing everyone's updates! Dani, you're on sub! Holy hat, that's fantastic! Good for you for keeping a lid on expectations, but over here, I'm jumping up and down for you. I'm happy to read for you on book 2, if you'd like.

Thanks for the well wishes, Kate! The holiday months basically pooped on me while on subs because hardly anyone (especially kidlit editors) acquire anything, so I don't necessarily count them as "sub months". Also, I started sub just before the summer time when everyone was on vacation. Oy vey. I had some interest from one editor at a big 5, but I'm not sure it'll happen. Prob not, and that's okay. I'm ready with my next ms.

I just put up a beta request on the beta forum. It's a big word count (70K), so take a look at the premise and see if you're interested before you make that sort of commitment. LOL. I'll understand if you don't. I'll swap with you if you'd like. I'm beta reading two others, but I can fit you in with a fast turn-around time.

CheG

Registered
Reaction score
Website
chegilson.blogspot.com
DanielaTorre- I wish I had time to beta! It sounds cool! But I'm moving AND I signed up for the Sekret Solstice swap on the SF&F thread.

And OMG! I will definitely hit up the historical thread and the ask the expert thread! I doubt I can go full historic on anything I write! A fantasy element is for sure going to show up! But I want it to have a good grounding and not have to just make up stuff for the whole book.

Supergirlofnc

Registered
Reaction score
My book two QUEST MAKER is out in the world today. So here is a little bounce to celebrate!

:hooray::hooray::hooray:

playground

Registered
Reaction score
Been a while since anyone has posted in here. How is everyone doing?

CheG

Registered
Reaction score
Website
chegilson.blogspot.com
Been a while since anyone has posted in here. How is everyone doing?

Still working on my current MG novel. The end is in sight though. I'm happy about the book but I don't know if anyone (agents) will like it. And it's going to take a lot of editing.

Other than that I'm painting my butt off! I bought art show space at Westercon! I haven't shown anything in a long time. Aside from posting bits on the internet. But I haven't tried to sell anything in ages. I really have my fingers crossed!

Last edited:

playground

Registered
Reaction score
Went to the Women's March on Washington yesterday with some friends. MASSIVE turnout in DC. Incredibly proud to have been a part of it.

playground

Registered
Reaction score
So, to date I've written six novels and have queried two (first one didn't go anywhere and am currently querying my second one now). As many of you know, there are a lot of ups and downs when it comes to querying. I can't think of many that would understand my joy of getting a personalized rejection, but I wanted to share it with those that I think would get it. Obviously asking for more pages would have been awesome too, but I'll take this message as well. It just always feels good to have someone to have read my work and enjoyed it.

Dear [my name],

Thank you for querying me about your manuscript, STARGAZER. I've read your sample pages and your project isn't a perfect fit with my current needs. This has less to do with your strengths as a writer and more to do with my goals as an agent and the trends of the current literary marketplace.

I wish you the best of luck in your search for the right agent and publisher. Keep writing!

Kindest Regards,

[Agent's name]

Last edited:

playground

Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys, fair warning, just decided to get twitter again so added those that had their links in their sig. So if you get a follower named Shane, that's me.