The Bouncy Castle in Space

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
Love the story, Kitty. And...I cannot imagine having a pet beetle in my classroom. That's...just...ew. Ew. *shudder*

I don't do class pets anymore. Not after I killed the hamster...

But your story reminded me of the first grader I had, who tried to sneak ice from our science experiment. Stuffed it in his pocket... Fortunately, someone ratted him out before it melted completely. I asked him what he thought would happen to the ice by recess, and one of the prissy girls shouted out, It'll melt and it'll look like he wet his pants!

I figured that was punishment enough for the poor kid...

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
Ahhh, school. I miss being a substitute teacher. Hilarious story Kitty :D

Oh, Don't feel bad Amarie :( I graduated in 07' and they barely let girls take shop then either. I can't say anything though, I was lucky enough to take Creative Writing I-IV.

Wow, I can't believe they are still discouraging girls from certain classes, but yay for creative writing.

MsJudy, I don't blame you about class pets. I was just talking to one mom whose child volunteered to take the class hamster home for the holidays. Once at her house, the hamster stopped eating and they were sure they were doing something wrong, so they took it to the vet and it got put on an IV, turns out the poor thing was just ancient, and it was time for it to go the great hamster playground in the sky. Much trama for the family though.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Love the story, Kitty. And...I cannot imagine having a pet beetle in my classroom. That's...just...ew. Ew. *shudder*

My second graders don't have any pets, thank goodness. But soon we are getting six frogs for science class. :tongue Clammy. I like animals, but something about little wild critters scuttling around in little plastic boxes kinda yucks me out. The classroom of the tiny beetle-thief also has a fighting fish (or whatever you call it), and a hamster that has already escaped once this year. The fourth grade class has a russian tortoise named Chewbacca who is a very charming fellow, if a bit dusty. He has a huge terrarium, and also a raised-bed desert garden the kids made him outside. And he owns his own Wookiee action figure :D

Morrell

Registered
Reaction score
But your story reminded me of the first grader I had, who tried to sneak ice from our science experiment. Stuffed it in his pocket... Fortunately, someone ratted him out before it melted completely. I asked him what he thought would happen to the ice by recess, and one of the prissy girls shouted out, It'll melt and it'll look like he wet his pants!

I figured that was punishment enough for the poor kid...

Ha ha! That sounds a lot like a story my mom used to tell. Her first year of teaching (late 40s or early 50s), a little boy came in sucking on a chunk of ice. She told him to throw it away because it was time for class to start. He said, "Can't I put it in my pocket and save it for recess?"

I guess kids haven't really changed all that much. :)

And how funny about the beetle! Can't believe she took the whole terrarium. I have a kid who tried to swipe a mirror by smuggling it out under his shirt... he was caught when he wouldn't unfold his arms to put his coat on. Same kid's brother showed up in class with a lego one day. Set it on the table in the resource room, and out crawled ... a slug. He couldn't understand why he couldn't keep "Sluggy" with him all day.

starbeam

Registered
Reaction score
You guys are cracking me up about the classroom pets and ice cubes!

My one funny school story comes from when I was in sixth grade. We had just hatched chicks in our science class, and I wanted to feed them something they'd actually eat in a barnyard. So when I returned to school the next day, I placed a black beetle in their midst. It was like watching a frenzied game of tag mixed with tug-o-war. After a great deal of commotion my teacher confiscated the beetle and threw it away. At the time I was really mad my teacher wouldn't let the chicks keep it. But come to think of it, my adult self feels kinda sorry for the beetle though...

Marzipan

Registered
Reaction score
Aww. I wish we had chicks in FFA. Instead me had a pig we had to raise and slaughter. It was pretty disturbing.

:Jump:
I almost hugged my mail lady just now because she came to the door in the rain to deliver my copy of Second Sight. Thanks for the tip Smish! I'm about to rip into this baby!

JoyMC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joymcculloughcarranza.com
You know, thinking back on my years of schooling, not once did we have a classroom pet. In all my subbing and classroom residencies, I don't think I've seen classroom pets, either. Why am I missing out???

Just got a rejection on one of my fulls. Complementary, but "not for her." Not feeling crushed by this one, though. Onward!

playground

Registered
Reaction score
Got a burst of creativity and a new story was made. 2,000 words in and I'm already loving all of my characters. Put my other novel on hold to write a bit of this one. I don't think there is anything more exciting and more, I don't know the right word, maybe, enjoyable, then writing a new story in the beginning. With all the build up and excitement of what is to come and to see how your characters react is something I wouldn't give up for any other skill in the world.

Marzipan

Registered
Reaction score
Keep going at it Joy. It's great you are still optimistic, and you should be. It will work out.

Congrats on the SNI playground_king. Have to agree, I spent a lot of time on SNIs until I stuck with one. They are so much fun. As far as writing goes, I've decided to exhange my MC for his brother. I think it will make the story stronger so I'm going for it. He is a much more outgoing character and I had the feeling Jason was far to passive to be a MC.

Kitty Pryde

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Got a burst of creativity and a new story was made. 2,000 words in and I'm already loving all of my characters. Put my other novel on hold to write a bit of this one. I don't think there is anything more exciting and more, I don't know the right word, maybe, enjoyable, then writing a new story in the beginning.

YAY! I agree. I need to get in on some of that action :D

I'm all a-flutter because I'm trying to apply to go back to school (got my BA back in 06) which I think may be crazy. AND today I found out that I am getting moved around at work (to a different campus, to a different classroom, to work with a different kid). I'm sure I will love him as much as I love the other kiddo, but I will miss my little 2nd graders!!! At least all the kids in my new classroom know me already. Also the new one is much more naughty--I will soon be working with the two naughtiest kids at the school, hurray. They flattered me senseless about my crazy behavior management skills and how I was the only one who could take on this position, but I'm still bummed out. Or maybe they are just doing me a favor at work by keeping me on my toes :tongue

How are all my fellow bouncers?:hooray:

Marzipan

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, you must have ninjariffic classroom management skills! Don't be bummed, think of it as just a change-up. You get to go to a different place and get out of the same mundane routine :)

I finished Second Sight today. If you guys haven't read it, add it to your wishlist. It helped me work out several problems in my writing that I've been clueless about for years. Cheryl Klein is a fantastic editor to say the least!

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
What a bummer of a morning. I stole thirty minutes from my errand time and dashed to the library. Every book on my list was either checked out or on order, or they just didn't have it yet.

Came home with three new books, including one by Madeleine d'Engle (hope I spelled her name right). I hope they are good, but they weren't what I was looking for.

starbeam

Registered
Reaction score
I'll be wishing for the best for you in your new classroom adventure, Kitty!
Sorry, Sissybaby. I hope your day gets better.

I'm not feeling at all bouncy. I have the most stubborn toddler in all humanity! I'm trying to break him of his pacifier at nap time, (he's been broken of it for everything but naps and bedtime) and he's throwing a royal fit beyond royal fits! So far he's been screaming and throwing things in his room for over an hour, despite the fact that I've gone in to console him and/or correct the behavior about four times (once every fifteen minutes or so). Now I have a headache. Despite this I'm just not going to give in. I could sure use a drink. Think I may head over to the AW pub for a while for the sake of my sanity. :mad:

starbeam

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I'm feeling better. A good bit of peace from my son, a relaxing beverage, and a brownie have significantly improved my day. Anyone want a chocolate frosted brownie? I'm more than willing to share!
PS, they are egg-less!

MJWare

Kidlit gang, Junior member.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.MJAWare.com
Looks like everyone's having a bad day-- keep your chins up!
I had a bad day yesterday, but today is fine, so maybe you'll all have great Friday 13th('s) --umm, not sure how to write that.

Oh, and good luck to everyone on their requests!!!!

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, hubby took me to see Joyful Noise tonight. I enjoyed it very much. he isn't a musical kind of guy, so it was special that he took me without me even asking.

Of course, then we saw the previews and both decided we have to go back next Friday and see Red Tail - about the Muskeegee Airmen. Looks like a good one.

(I hardly ever get to go to the movies, so it was a lovely surprise).

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Glad you had fun, sissy! I went to see a movie tonight, too. I saw We Bought a Zoo. It was an enjoyable little flick. :)

Sorry I haven't been around much lately, gang. I'm under lots of real life stress lately. Nothing major that any of you need to worry about (I'm fine; promise!) - just stuff that's keeping me from spending much time here, and is zapping me of my energy to bounce.

Hugs to all of you, though. You're all awesome! :e2arms:

monkeymum

Registered
Reaction score
Glad you had fun, sissy! I went to see a movie tonight, too. I saw We Bought a Zoo. It was an enjoyable little flick. :)

That film was based on a zoo just up the road from me. I remember it ended up in quite a state before it was taken over...very sad, but hopefully it has a brighter future now. I'm always torn with the principle of zoos. The kids love 'em, but I'm a little sceptical of the 'we're saving endangered species' line.

(Hope the stress eases soon Smish :Hug2:)

Smish

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That film was based on a zoo just up the road from me. I remember it ended up in quite a state before it was taken over...very sad, but hopefully it has a brighter future now. I'm always torn with the principle of zoos. The kids love 'em, but I'm a little sceptical of the 'we're saving endangered species' line.

Does your family go there often?

I love zoos. I try to go a few times a year, and if I lived closer to one, I'd have a season pass, just for the exercise. A heck of lot cheaper than the gym, with lots of hills to roam and stairs to climb, and much better stuff to see!

(Hope the stress eases soon Smish :Hug2:)

Thanks. :)

Kitty Pryde

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A Tale About Ringworm To Amuse Smishie

So Thursday night I noticed I had a really weird spot on my face, and it didn't look like anything reasonable, so I was going nuts trying to figure out what it was. Then I was like NOOOOO PROBABLY ONE OF THE KIDS GAVE ME A HORRIBLE RASH and I was really sad. THEN I was like NOOOOOO ALL THE KIDS AT SCHOOL HAVE PETS AND THEY ARE ALL REALLY TOUCHY AND GRABBY AND I THINK ONE OF THEM GAVE ME RINGWORM WHYYYYYYYYYYYYY.

But then I noticed I had the same spot on the other side of my face but not so bad. And in conclusion, I don't have ringworm. I had windburn under my eyes from a combination of skiing with sunglasses instead of goggles last weekend, and biking to work with my eyes watering from all the pollen. If you see someone biking down the street wearing safety goggles from the hardware store, don't laugh. Cause it's me.

After work I stayed a bit later to help a kid out with her sewing project, and let another kid play on the school's iPad as a reward for not being awful. Since I stayed late, I was still around to be invited out for happy hour with the coworkers. And did I mention, I don't have ringworm. And so to quote the kiddo who unexpectedly got to play on the iPad, "Wow, you know what they say about Friday the 13th, it's just not true!"

:Jump::Jump::Jump::Jump::Jump::Jump::Jump::Jump:

Smish

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:roll: That's HILARIOUS.

(And totally something I would do. My friends and colleagues are constantly rolling their eyes at me because I am always afraid I have some rare disease. The other day when I had a splitting headache? I was (slightly) concerned I may have parasitic worms in my brain. :D They don't understand that writers have overactive imaginations. ;))

Kitty Pryde

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My panic was completely reasonable in my mind. My school has just started Round 3 of Lice Wars. The spread of disease through an elementary school is horrifying enough to gross out an epidemiologist. And my one little gal student has a dog, and my little boy student has a huge dog and an imaginary cat (that's probably the one I caught the imaginary ringworm from :rolleyes:).

Ferret

Dook!
Registered
Reaction score
They don't understand that writers have overactive imaginations. ;))

Exactly! As I just told my agent (after e-mailing her about a silly worry of mine), of course writer's tend to be paranoid. I spend most of my time coming up with worst-case scenarios to inflict on my characters, so it's only natural that I also spend a lot of time worrying.

That being said, assuming a headache is caused by brain parasites seems completely logical to me.

Morrell

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, and plus, you do have to be careful of those imaginary cats! :ROFL:

The benefit of being a little paranoid is that when it turns out NOT to be brain parasites, the alternative (whatever it is) seems so much better by comparison.

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorry to change the subject, because your comments are so entertaining

But I'm curious if any of you that work with preschool kids have ever had them play the Too Te Tah game. One of my sister's day-care kids showed it to me a while back, and I nearly wet my pants I laughed so hard.