The Bouncy Castle in Space

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome!

bm%204%20in%201%20angle%20view2.jpg

:)

thanks for the title KittyPryde
the off-topic all things kid lit and whatever else we feel like talking about thread.

It can also be the place where we determine monthly prompt themes.

(we can do what the horror hounds do, and take turns choosing the prompt). Since we're so close to a new month, we'll start in July.)

Last edited:

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
Dragons would make an EXCELLENT prompt, Jed.

my kids and I make up dragon stories all the time. :)

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
LOVE BOUNCY CASTLES! YAY!

So, I don't know if this is the appropriate place to post this or not, but ya'll can move it if not. okay?

I used to love books for adults. I have favorite authors, but I could pick up most any novel and lose myself in it for an hour - or five - before falling asleep.

Not anymore. Reading children's literature has spoiled it.

I get so bored with the incessant details. I get irritated with the poor editing. I get pissed at the inconsistencies.

I truly appreciate the remarkable job that the MG writers, agents and publishers are doing for kidlit. Most of what I read is hard to put down, and because so many of them are short, I don't have to. But why am I noticing a lack of quality in the adult lit. I used to enjoy?

Okay, that's my rant for the day.

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
Absolutely a fine place for that post, sissybaby.

I read to my boys a lot and in reading things like The Waterhorse, The Graveyard Book, The Lion The Witch and The Wardrobe, Lemony Snicket books, etc, I'm finding out just how much I truly enjoy kid lit; all over again.

MJWare

Kidlit gang, Junior member.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.MJAWare.com
Great MG theme for the thread.

I do like a few adult authors, but they are just the big names: Bradbury, Orwell, Dickens.

I can't stand reading any of the popular adult authors: Brown, Patterson, even King.

They just bore me. Maybe, it's my short attention span that makes me want to read and write MG (and a little YA).
-Mike

Update: Just be be clear, Brown, Patterson, King very talented. Just not my cup of tea.

Last edited:

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
Actually, I was too harsh. And that's not fair. There are very talented people out there and I appreciate what they do tremendously.

It's just that some of them that I used to enjoy, now I find myself skimming. Or saying, "Come on, pay attention! In the beginning of the chapter they were on the destroyer. How did they get on the barge?" Or something nearly as awful.

Maybe it is partly that I've become so accustomed to the direct way so many of the MG writers get the story told, I'm getting tired of all the flotsam and jetsum - or however you spell those words. (they don't look right to me).

I'll never give up some of my very favorites, but I can put an adult novel down without finishing it, in exchange for an MG, and I never used to do that.

I'm pretty sure that bouncy castle has a slide! I want to go there.

RoseColoredSkies

It's a long and winding road
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sarah-biglow.com
I have to say I enjoy kidlit more than most adult novels because a lot of the adult stuff out there is romance and I just don't read a lot of that. I do enjoy Steve Berry (who is loads better than Dan Brown...*cringes to think of reading The Lost Symbol).

But I have a lot of love for kidlit authors, probably why I'd like to become one. In fact I have two books waiting to be read right now.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
*bounces in*

I think kidlit is more gripping because the audience loses interest quicker, so every paragraph has to be shiny and wondrous. That's not to say that adultlit isn't polished, but it has much more room for meandering and detail, where kidlit gets straight to the point.

Random true story: I love bouncy castles. LOVE them. I really could bounce all day. Once, in a bouncy castle at a party, I was mistaken for a small autistic child. The hostess came sprinting into the backyard because she thought I was her own child, mistakenly left unattended. This was about a month before I graduated from college. Yes, sekritly I am twelve years old. :D

*bounces away happily*

SheilaJG

Registered
Reaction score
I used to love books for adults. I have favorite authors, but I could pick up most any novel and lose myself in it for an hour - or five - before falling asleep.

Not anymore. Reading children's literature has spoiled it.

I get so bored with the incessant details. I get irritated with the poor editing. I get pissed at the inconsistencies.

I think this has happened to me too! The last two adult books I picked up I couldn't finish. And I usually finish everything. I find myself saying, "come on, already, get on with it."

Good thing there are plenty of fantastic MG/YA books out there to keep us busy!

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
I love bouncing, too. I'm a tigger.

Unfortunately, my body doesn't handle it well anymore. Aside from certain reactions I won't go into here, my joints and muscles don't give. Last time I bounced on my son's trampoline - I was going to show him how to do a sit bounce - I didn't hold myself stiff. Spent a week with a heat pad and muscle relaxers because of spasms.

But I still love it - just have to be careful. Or at least act somewhat like a grown-up.

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It can also be the place where we determine monthly prompt themes.

(we can do what the horror hounds do, and take turns choosing the prompt). Since we're so close to a new month, we'll start in July.)

I've been hoping we'd start something like this in the kidlit section, so... yayy!

And I also prefer to read children's books (and also YA novels). They're just more FUN.

(Ouch! Kitty, stop jumping on me! Mo-o-om!)

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
Dragons would make an EXCELLENT prompt, Jed.

my kids and I make up dragon stories all the time. :)
Although my current WIP has nothing to do with dragons I just had to make a small reference to them, although it was pretty subtle. A statue of a dragon on a shelf in the home of one of the characters. And it had a sword in its stomach. :D

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
Sissy, I TOTALLY know what you mean. I read about 10 MGs for every adult book. I'm working on The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo right now. I know it's a good book, and I'm going to enjoy it. But seriously, can we get on with the story, please????

And about bounce castles...I don't know what I'm going to do in a few years when my younger son doesn't want to play with me anymore. Having kids is the perfect excuse to keep riding roller coasters, jumping in bounce houses, watching cartoons... This week we took the dogs for a walk, and ended up sneaking around in the bushes spying on all the Frisbee golfers...

Please tell me you guys won't make me grow up.

EagerReader

commaholic and adverb junkie
Registered
Reaction score
Man, you all have a lot more energy than I do. I used to love bouncy castles, then I had many children and many bouncies and lost my love. Too much of a good thing. But, I do love castles, the spookier the better!

Thanks to everyone here, my reading list is a mile long! I've been powering through lots of MG, some YA and the only adult reading I've been able to do is my book club books. Not enough time in the day!

Any good suggestions for upbeat women's fic that does not involve divorce, affairs, menopause, murder, or cliched romance? What can I say, we're a picky bunch.

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
EagerReader - I don't know if it's possible to find upbeat women's fic that doesn't include at least one thing on your list. If you find it, tell me.

I'm currently reading through all of the Eva Ibbotson I could carry home from the library. And I forgot to stop by on the way home from the water park (that was fun!) to pick up The Incorrigible Children (whatever the rest of it is). I had to get it through interlibrary loan because we don't have it yet. If it's good, I'll recommend it. That's how we finally got Toothpaste's books. Yay!

Of course I should be writing instead of playing all day with the kids and reading everyone else's work. Maybe next week.

BTW - my son overcame a MAJOR, MAJOR obstacle today and went down his first water slide - ever. I am so proud of him. He didn't even puke! Which would have been a disaster. The pool was very crowded, which was enough of a stressor for the little guy.

Guess I'd better go get comfortable and finish Not Just a Witch.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
bounce bounce bounce!

I'm excited because my library (freaking LA!) didn't get Kid Vs. Squid for ages, and neither did my local bookstore. I requested it at the library and they FINALLY ordered it and it's HERE and I'm picking it up tomorrow! I love squid almost as much as I love bouncy castles!

yay waterslides! I love them also. That's an excellent victory to claim, and it's only the beginning of summer :D

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
sissy, congrats to your son on the waterslide! I think that's one of the hardest parts of parenting. Encouraging them to face their fears...when there's so much out there for them to be afraid of...

I get to face one of my own fears this month: My older son starts driving lessons.

Everyone, wish me luck!

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
Although my current WIP has nothing to do with dragons I just had to make a small reference to them, although it was pretty subtle. A statue of a dragon on a shelf in the home of one of the characters. And it had a sword in its stomach. :D

Meanie!!!!
Ah well, it will probably come into play later on in the series (if there is a series, that is ;) ). It was a kinda homage to St George slaying the dragon thingy. :D

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
BTW - my son overcame a MAJOR, MAJOR obstacle today and went down his first water slide - ever. I am so proud of him. He didn't even puke! Which would have been a disaster. The pool was very crowded, which was enough of a stressor for the little guy.
Hey, Congrats to your son, big achievement. And in a crowded pool, too. Not easy and very stressful.

I remember how nervous I was on my first waterslide. Last week. :D

I get to face one of my own fears this month: My older son starts driving lessons.

Everyone, wish me luck!
Good luck to your son on the upcoming driving lessons. Or should I say, good luck to you, Jud. :)

Are you teaching him to drive yourself? Using your own car?

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
sissy, congrats to your son on the waterslide! I think that's one of the hardest parts of parenting. Encouraging them to face their fears...when there's so much out there for them to be afraid of...

Everyone, wish me luck!

Another new driver? :scared:

Good luck to you (and all of us). :D

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
Judy - I don't even want to think of those days! Fortunately, he's only 9. Letting him mow this year was a big step for me.

My oldest daughter, now nearly 32, is mentally challenged. When she was close to graduating high school, we moved to a rural area in western Kansas. The high school was out in the middle of nowhere.

My daughter decided she wanted to take driver's ed. I said no. The school said yes. I allowed it, but I told them they better never let her drive anywhere near a highway. She passed the course, even though they gave her the test verbally. But she understands why she doesn't have a driver's license.

I hope all goes well with your son. Just eat lots of brownies and you'll be fine.

SheilaJG

Registered
Reaction score
Judy - I just went through this earlier this year. Things to brace yourself for:

1 - He will drive too close to the curb-side and you will imagine a long row of parked cars bearing the scratch mark of your door handle. But he will tell you you are imagining things because you are just not used to being on that side.

2 - You will need dramamine. The starts and stops can be a little jarring after a while.

3 - Actually, change that dramamine to a heavy sedative, and everything will be fine. And even if it's not fine, you won't care.

Good luck!