The Bouncy Castle in Space

MJWare

Kidlit gang, Junior member.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.MJAWare.com
I'm the latter (used to be the former), but now that school is in session, I've got the kids in part-time preschool 3 days a week. It's great to drop them off at school and hit the bookstore to write for an hour :)
My oldest is going two days a week. It's so nice to only have to worry about one. When she takes a nap though I usually take one too (If I've been on baby duty the night before).

I don't think finding the, or at least enough, time to write is easy for most of us.

MJWare

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.MJAWare.com

JoyMC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joymcculloughcarranza.com
hello, joining in here. i'm new to the forums, and new to writing fiction. i've been a playwright for a lot of years, and am currently midway through the first draft of my first MG novel.

i am also a parent of a 4.5 year old and 4 month old. we're homeschoolers (or will be; right now we just play), but i'm really fortunate that my husband gets home around 3pm and relieves me with the kids so i have a couple hours to write most afternoons. of course, that writing time is split between my own projects and my paid freelance gigs. fortunately, most of those gigs are writing-for-kids, too, so i feel like i'm learning and gaining experience while getting paid. still, i'd rather be working on my novel.

anyway, hi! this forum is so big and overwhelming. this looks like it might be a nice place to get to know some folks.

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
Have to share our homework experience - my 9-yo.

He's changing simple sentences into compounds with either and, or, or but. I was cooking dinner and helping, when he pipes up with, "I'm pretty sure I've got a but sentence here."

It struck me funny, because he was already laughing, but I corrected him and said, in my best mommy voice, "Okay, let's be serious here."

He turned to me with innocent eyes and said, "I'm serious, Mom. It says 'I would love to visit the zoo every day, BUT, I live far too away.' That's just not right, is it?"

Unfortunately, I had to look at it to figure out what he was saying, because I thought he had transposed far and too as he read it to me.

SheilaJG

Registered
Reaction score
hello, joining in here. i'm new to the forums, and new to writing fiction. i've been a playwright for a lot of years, and am currently midway through the first draft of my first MG novel.

i am also a parent of a 4.5 year old and 4 month old. we're homeschoolers (or will be; right now we just play), but i'm really fortunate that my husband gets home around 3pm and relieves me with the kids so i have a couple hours to write most afternoons. of course, that writing time is split between my own projects and my paid freelance gigs. fortunately, most of those gigs are writing-for-kids, too, so i feel like i'm learning and gaining experience while getting paid. still, i'd rather be working on my novel.

anyway, hi! this forum is so big and overwhelming. this looks like it might be a nice place to get to know some folks.

Welcome Joy! It is a big forum, but the kids section is nice and cozy. Sound like you have your hands full at home.

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, Joy. You're definitely in the right place.

And I had to laugh my butt off at Scalzi's ever-so-helpful tips for parent/writers. Yeah...he kind of forgot to mention those of us who have full time jobs, too. I teach full time, work the after-school homework-help program one day a week, and have two delightful but high-maintenance boys. So...yeah. Most of my writing happens Saturday and Sunday mornings while the boys are at their dad's house. But of course that's just enough time to really get going, and then I have to shift back to reality at noon on Sunday when the boys come back.

But I'm not complaining. Would I trade motherhood for a Newbery? No. Would I quit my job tomorrow if I wrote a bestseller? No.

I have a full, rich life and I wouldn't change any of it. I just wish I could sustain my creative energy after a long day at work.

But I've been writing notes about Agatha Tate every day, and I'm finding my way to a plot. So there is progress, even if it doesn't look like it by the word count meter.

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, Joy. You're definitely in the right place.

And I had to laugh my butt off at Scalzi's ever-so-helpful tips for parent/writers. Yeah...he kind of forgot to mention those of us who have full time jobs, too. I teach full time, work the after-school homework-help program one day a week, and have two delightful but high-maintenance boys. So...yeah. Most of my writing happens Saturday and Sunday mornings while the boys are at their dad's house. But of course that's just enough time to really get going, and then I have to shift back to reality at noon on Sunday when the boys come back.

But I'm not complaining. Would I trade motherhood for a Newbery? No. Would I quit my job tomorrow if I wrote a bestseller? No.

I have a full, rich life and I wouldn't change any of it. I just wish I could sustain my creative energy after a long day at work.

But I've been writing notes about Agatha Tate every day, and I'm finding my way to a plot. So there is progress, even if it doesn't look like it by the word count meter.

You wouldn't quit your day job? :Wha:

I don't have children, but I know I wouldn't trade them for a Newbery (it might be tempting, though. :D). The day job, though... I'd quit. I'd still do volunteer work, but the insane, work-through-the-mono hours would have to go!

MJWare

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.MJAWare.com
Good for you Joy. It's great you are doing something you enjoy so much!

If I could make writing my job I certainly would!

JoyMC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Good for you Joy. It's great you are doing something you enjoy so much!

If I could make writing my job I certainly would!

i feel really fortunate, but it would be extremely tough if i didn't have a husband with benefits and a steady salary.

i was recently reading The Forest for the Trees by Betsy Lerner, which is a great read on the publishing industry by an editor-turned-agent, and she said John Grisham wrote his first book (which bombed at the time, FYI), while working 60-80 hours/week as a lawyer, and raising a young family. he did it over three years, working in the wee hours of the morning. so, you know, it can be done. but you have to REALLY want it.

thanks all, for the welcome!

SheilaJG

Registered
Reaction score
John Grisham wrote his first book (which bombed at the time, FYI), while working 60-80 hours/week as a lawyer, and raising a young family. he did it over three years, working in the wee hours of the morning. so, you know, it can be done. but you have to REALLY want it.

There you go Smish!

(but I bet he didn't have mono. And that bit about raising a family - like he did it all by himself.)

JoyMC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
And that bit about raising a family - like he did it all by himself.)

well, yeah. as a mom, i kind of snickered at that, too. but still, there were children and a spouse with needs and birthdays and illnesses and all the rest of it that some of us use as excuses.

(though speaking of excuses, i've been flattened by a massive cold and just wrote to tell my client that he'll be getting that draft on Monday, not tomorrow. off to go finish reading The Sky is Everywhere ...)

Smish

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There you go Smish!

(but I bet he didn't have mono. And that bit about raising a family - like he did it all by himself.)

I :heart: you

(Just don't tell me I should write a legal thriller...)

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
Smish, if I had your day job, I'd quit it, too. But I'm lucky. I really do love what I do (although I could have done without the kid who stood on a table and screamed at me today...) and I know when I go home at the end of the day that I've made a difference. It's a calling, and no amount of writing fame and fortune could take its place.

MJWare

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.MJAWare.com
John Grisham wrote his first book (which bombed at the time, FYI), while working 60-80 hours/week as a lawyer, and raising a young family. he did it over three years, working in the wee hours of the morning. so, you know, it can be done. but you have to REALLY want it.

We'll I'm not Grisham, but I was up writing until 3AM last night. It's really Judy's fault--her, How do you decide what to write about, threat got me thinking about old project. Opened one up and I just couldn't stop. -Thanks Judy (I wrote close to 4K, so that's a good thing).

Smish

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Smish, if I had your day job, I'd quit it, too. But I'm lucky. I really do love what I do (although I could have done without the kid who stood on a table and screamed at me today...) and I know when I go home at the end of the day that I've made a difference. It's a calling, and no amount of writing fame and fortune could take its place.

My life would be easier if I didn't feel called to do what I do. It's hard and stressful, and often depressing, but I believe poverty is this generation's Civil Rights Movement, and I'm proud to be fighting on the front lines. :) So, while I'd quit my day job if given the opportunity to write full time, I'd still do a lot of pro bono work.

Speaking of How's that going? Did you take some time off work? I hope you are taking it easy.

I'm taking it easier, but mostly, it's my personal life that's suffering. I spend most of my free time sleeping. :D

Smish

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Did you see Katy Perry's skit for Sesame Street? Apparently, poor Katy is too risque for Sesame Street. :rolleyes:

The objections are rather silly, in my opinion...

Haha. I noticed it was on Youtube, but I didn't click on it. The news is on right now talking about her shirt being too low-cut or whatever. A low cut shirt is like the LEAST objectionable thing about Katy Perry TBH.