William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
As the scientist who helped eradicate smallpox he certainly know a thing or two about extinction.

And now Professor Frank Fenner, emeritus professor of microbiology at the Australian National University, has predicted that the human race will be extinct within the next 100 years.

He has claimed that the human race will be unable to survive a population explosion and 'unbridled consumption.’

Fenner told The Australian newspaper that 'homo sapiens will become extinct, perhaps within 100 years.'

'A lot of other animals will, too,' he added.

'It's an irreversible situation. I think it's too late. I try not to express that because people are trying to do something, but they keep putting it off.'

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Um, the person I think most able to predict the future - Ray Kurzweil - is crazier than a bucket full of snakes who are all high on LSD.

And he thinks by 2050, humanity will merge with non-biological intelligence and crazy shit will happen. Possibly involving snakes.

His near future predictions are a little less crazy - better nanotech, better infotech, better biotech - but even still, I'm fully expecting a good half of them to be wrong.

I will say this: If we don't change A SINGLE THING, we'll be extinct within a hundred years. And as we all know, humans never ever change.

Now I'm gonna go shit in the woods, kill a tiger with my bear hands, skin it with a rock, then starve for a bit.

Bird of Prey

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've been extremely depressed lately. Perhaps instinctively, I suspect he's right. And I don't like it at all, because until recently, I've had great faith in us homo sapiens. But the good ones can't seem to get control . . . .

MoonWriter

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Damn! I was so looking forward to my 148th birthday.

kaitiepaige17

Inappropriate smiley INCOMINGGGGGG!
Registered
Reaction score
Hopefully a REALLLLYYYY affective source of birth control will come out before then....

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
As the scientist who helped eradicate smallpox he certainly know a thing or two about extinction.

And now Professor Frank Fenner, emeritus professor of microbiology at the Australian National University, has predicted that the human race will be extinct within the next 100 years.

He has claimed that the human race will be unable to survive a population explosion and 'unbridled consumption.’

Fenner told The Australian newspaper that 'homo sapiens will become extinct, perhaps within 100 years.'

'A lot of other animals will, too,' he added.

'It's an irreversible situation. I think it's too late. I try not to express that because people are trying to do something, but they keep putting it off.'

Darn, you have to love the optimistic ones.

C.bronco

I have plans...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cynthia-bronco.blogspot.com
My predictions for the future, for those who will take copious notes:

C.bronco's blockbuster hit from her graphic novel, Capon Frank, will encourage PETA to make more outrageous claims, and therefore make a sequel necessary.

AW will go down in history as the greatest literary salon of the 21st century. Writer friends from AW will be listed in Norton Anthologies for hundreds of years.

100 years from now, students in universities worldwide will ponder the meanings of KTC's many threads. They will respond in complete awe, believing that none of his posts were random.

Stacey's zombies will eat the BP oil spill.

Quickwit's posts will replace the tenets of Buddha as the means to world peace and chili-dogs, and/or cheese-steaks.

William Haskins will be recognized as the ultimate political authority, despite the many claims that "Hazkins wuz mean to me" and the lolcat pictorials.

Dale Earnhardt Jr. will win the Sprint Cup.

That is all.

PoppysInARow

Book Reviewer y'all
Registered
Reaction score
And didn't fifty years ago, they believe that the only way the Cold War would end would be Nuclear Holocaust?

I'll believe that crap when I see it.

Miss Plum

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
He has claimed that the human race will be unable to survive a population explosion and 'unbridled consumption.'
Whoo. We're gonna shop 'til we drop.

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
And didn't fifty years ago, they believe that the only way the Cold War would end would be Nuclear Holocaust?

Yeah, I think it's kinda bs also. A hundred years is only like two or two and a half generation. Nothing less than a nuclear war will do that. And even nukes wouldn't gurantee the death of all humanity. A major disaster or a world war could kill off a large portion of the population, but not all.

We humans are like cockroaches. As long as the surface of the Earth survives, so will we.

Magdalen

Petulantly Penitent
Registered
Reaction score
Homo sapiens, meh. Maybe Frank and Zoombie are both right -- evolution and extinction are intimately entwined, so perhaps those distant folks will be moto(r) sapiens. I'll be really pissed if there aren't flying cars by then, though.

Magdalen

Petulantly Penitent
Registered
Reaction score
My predictions for the future, for those who will take copious notes:

C.bronco's blockbuster hit from her graphic novel, Capon Frank, will encourage PETA to make more outrageous claims, and therefore make a sequel necessary.

AW will go down in history as the greatest literary salon of the 21st century. Writer friends from AW will be listed in Norton Anthologies for hundreds of years.

100 years from now, students in universities worldwide will ponder the meanings of KTC's many threads. They will respond in complete awe, believing that none of his posts were random.

Stacey's zombies will eat the BP oil spill.

Quickwit's posts will replace the tenets of Buddha as the means to world peace and chili-dogs, and/or cheese-steaks.

William Haskins will be recognized as the ultimate political authority, despite the many claims that "Hazkins wuz mean to me" and the lolcat pictorials.

Dale Earnhardt Jr. will win the Sprint Cup.

That is all.

Brilliant post. And both chili-dogs & cheese-steaks can be one with everything.

willietheshakes

Gentleman. Scholar. Bastard.
Registered
Reaction score
Um, the person I think most able to predict the future - Ray Kurzweil - is crazier than a bucket full of snakes who are all high on LSD.

And he thinks by 2050, humanity will merge with non-biological intelligence and crazy shit will happen. Possibly involving snakes.

His near future predictions are a little less crazy - better nanotech, better infotech, better biotech - but even still, I'm fully expecting a good half of them to be wrong.

I will say this: If we don't change A SINGLE THING, we'll be extinct within a hundred years. And as we all know, humans never ever change.

Now I'm gonna go shit in the woods, kill a tiger with my bear hands, skin it with a rock, then starve for a bit.

Wait, you've got bear hands?

Damn, the human manipulation is further along than I had feared! ;)

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Hopefully a REALLLLYYYY affective source of birth control will come out before then....
We do. It's a combo of overpopulation and the collapse of the food supply. It's definitely "affective." :)

Who was that guy - he died recently - 50+ years ago the population was growing and the big prediction was that millions, even hundreds of millions would starve to death, but he engineered a better way to grow wheat, and then the population grew to what it is today...probably billions of people alive now owe their lives to that guy.

The US, Soviet and Chinese governments were neither stupid nor crazy, but now more and more nations are getting The Bomb with leaders who are more and more questionable about their intelligence and sanity.

This is how Stephen Hawking has suggested Humanity might end. He was promoting space colonization as a way to not have all our eggs in one basket. While I like the idea myself, it IS rather expensive, and would be a big project to make self-sustaining.
Wait, you've got bear hands?

Damn, the human manipulation is further along than I had feared! ;)
According to the Bill of Rights, I have bear arms and I have a Constitutional right to them.

It's no more bizarre an interpretation tham what I've heard from some of the Supremes.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
This is how Stephen Hawking has suggested Humanity might end. He was promoting space colonization as a way to not have all our eggs in one basket. While I like the idea myself, it IS rather expensive, and would be a big project to make self-sustaining.
Forget space colonization, alternate realities are the way to go. We just hop over to an earth where humans never existed, plunder it of all its resources, then move onto the next earth where no intelligent life ever formed. The best part is that there's an infinite number of them. We can chop down trees forever and never have to worry. :D

According to the Bill of Rights, I have bear arms and I have a Constitutional right to them.
How could it possibly be misconstrued?

leahzero

The colors! THE COLORS!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
words.leahraeder.com
We humans are like cockroaches. As long as the surface of the Earth survives, so will we.

This.

Population explosion and diminishing natural resources will affect us, but total extinction of the human race within one hundred years? Absurdity. It would take a global nuclear holocaust, or a giant meteorite hitting the planet, etc., to cause the extinction of our species so quickly.

I find it much more likely that the population will continue to soar, and the quality of living for each individual person will decline, until we reach critical mass and recidivate to a cluster of warring tribes, fighting over water and bandwidth. Not that we are very far removed from such state.

Status
Not open for further replies.