Mystery Shoppers - Anyone try this?

Fatal Serenity

Eccentric to the core.
Registered
Reaction score
http://QualityReviewers.com

I found this on Craigslist, and I wanted to know if anyone has ever tried Mystery Shopping and reviewing products/companies with this organization or another Mystery Shopping outsourcing business? Is the pay worth the time? Based on your experience, am I likely to get ripped off? Any other feedback is appreciated.

Thanks a bunch,
Kate

Carlene

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlenedater.com
I haven't done it personally, but one of my students in a writing workshop did. She found a local, San Diego company to work for. They gave her assignments, like going into Subway, buying a sandwich and writing a "review." She said it was easy but she made very little money - something like $6.00 or $8.00 per assignment. I know she went into banks a couple of times too.

Carlene

SWest

In the garden...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
I've done contract work for this company since 2005.

You have to be very careful that the outfit you sign up with is a bonafide company and not a scam (like you pay them to list you in a directory, or similar). Check the FAQ, Terms and any fine print for any hint of fees or other red flags (stuff you do not want to agree to, basically).

Check to see that a mystery shop outfit is a member of NARMS.

The pay rates have fallen dramatically over the last two years for all third-party assignments, so you do have to be smart about gas costs and wear on your car when considering and selecting projects.

Some assignments require you to make some initial investment (buy a pair of shoes, movie tickets, etc.). These costs will be reimbursed by reputable companies, and instructions about how to receive these funds back should be clearly outlined.

Some assignments involve gathering information about products in a store in a covert fashion (without alerting store management to your presence).

Merchandising tasks are done with a store management's knowledge and cooperation.

Reputable companies will have a dress policy for their contractors (i.e., business casual).

Sometimes regular (weekly, etc.) gigs are available.

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
In the FAQs section - under general stuff there is mention of needing a credit card. If they do not want fees then find out why. A scam company in the UK said there were no fees but they charged for the training manual. It was an expensive training manual!

Still Seaking

Doing what I was born to do.
Registered
Reaction score
Any company asking you to pay them anything for anything is a scam. I mystery shop and work as a merchandiser on the side. The pay has really diminished or at best has not keep up with inflation and raising gas prices so you have to take all of that into consideration. On top of that, the pay is for the assignment or if there is an hourly rate paid (some merchandising assignments do) that rate does not include the time it takes you to input the report which can be anywhere from five minutes to two hours or more. Some jobs only pay reimbursement, especially jobs at nice restaurants and amusement park jobs; you’re getting a free meal or a fun activity for your kid in exchange. I’m going to be doing a job at an amusement park and the report will take two to three hours to write and input but my kid and my boyfriend’s kids will have fun and we look like really fun parents and it doesn’t cost me anything but my time.

SS

Fatal Serenity

Eccentric to the core.
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I'm going to look into it further.

Shakesbear, you have a good point with the credit/debit card requirement. According to the FAQ section of their website, a card is required shortly after registering for the purpose (it seems) of making purchases that they can keep track of and reimburse.

Does anyone know if this is how other mystery shopper companies keep track of purchases or do they use receipts? According to an email I recieved from the company all purchases are covered "in advance" and "there are no startup fees".

SWest

In the garden...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Does anyone know if this is how other mystery shopper companies keep track of purchases or do they use receipts? According to an email I recieved from the company all purchases are covered "in advance" and "there are no startup fees".

You should never authorize other parties to use your personal credit card to make purchases "on your behalf"...and reputable companies will not ask!

Fatal Serenity

Eccentric to the core.
Registered
Reaction score
I completely agree. It seems like 90% of today's companies have a catch similar to that. I'm not fond of this company because their reasoning for using a credit card isn't very clear.

SWest

In the garden...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Use your Gut Instinct to protect yourself.

Go to my first post above and click on the NARMS link so that you can get good information about reputable companies and their actual in-store needs in your area.

Good luck! :)

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I'm going to look into it further.

Shakesbear, you have a good point with the credit/debit card requirement. According to the FAQ section of their website, a card is required shortly after registering for the purpose (it seems) of making purchases that they can keep track of and reimburse.

Um.... baloney! The only people who can track your credit card purchases are your credit card company. I would have thought that you would need to keep receipts and submit a claim for expenses. How can they cover purchases in advance? I mentioned this to a friend in a 'phone conversation yesterday - she told me that she had found a similar type of thing (in the UK) and that they had all sorts of hidden 'stuff' - things like admin charges for giving out the info about where and when to do the mystery shopper stuff, a charge for working out how much they had to pay you and some other silly stuff which made it a total waste of time to even think about doing the work.

One other thing - have you checked that they address they have on their site is real? If it isn't then they may be breaking the law.

Fatal Serenity

Eccentric to the core.
Registered
Reaction score
After looking into it further, I've decided that this company is almost definitely a scam. Thanks for the feedback. Mystery shopping as a whole might be rewarding if the assignments are my choice and the compensation is worth my time.

I'll be using that NARMS link to search for an alternate company. Anyone know of a good company near Pennsylvania or Virginia?

SWest

In the garden...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Go to the Jobs/Careers tab at NARMS and it will direct you to the Job Search tool...that will let you customize a search by location.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Since this isn't an offering of a Paying Market, I'm porting it to Freelancing.

amandapanda

Registered
Reaction score
Just make sure the pay is worth the chance of someone getting fired. A friend of mine was nine months pregnant and didn't move fast enough to greet a mystery shopper and was promptly fired after the review came in. The rule was something like we had to greet a customer within 30 seconds of them walking through the door. No warnings - just the axe!

Fatal Serenity

Eccentric to the core.
Registered
Reaction score
The guidelines employees (I worked for Applebees for 2 years), especially restaurant employees, have to follow are rather strict. We had to open the door for ever guest, greet them at the table in 30 seconds, serve drinks within two minutes, and deliver their meals within 10 minutes (and that is only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the procedure we had to follow). Luckily, in most cases the employee is given a warning or a suspension of some sort before termination, but there were occasions where employees were fired after one incident. These reviews mean a lot to companies, and if the results are the opposite of what employers expect they will take whatever action they feel is necessary to fix it.

So, I agree with you. If anyone else decides to do reviews like this, please consider that there are other livelihoods at stake depending on an honest and constructive review. If you make a comment about an employee, be sure to add something positive with the negative and mention any further potential.