AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Farrah Gray Publishing, Inc.

practical experience, FTW

Farrah Gray Publishing, Inc.

I just saw this ad on Craigslist. Legit or not?--

Get Signed To A Major Publishing House!

Farrah Gray Publishing (FGP) Is Accepting Manuscripts (All Genres)
    Looking For The Next Hot Thing In Publishing!

Submit Your Info: Author@fgpbooks.com
    (For A Chance To Receive A Publishing Deal!)

Farrah Gray Publishing (FGP) is distributed by HCI Books, which published the world famous No. 1 New York Times, USA Today and Guinness Book of World Records best-selling Chicken Soup for the Soul series. Chicken Soup for the Soul sold more than 112 million copies, with titles translated into more than 40 languages.

Sounds a little fishy, but I looked them up, and they seem real enough. Help, I'm still very green towards this sort of stuff.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    fgpbooks.com redirects to founder's site. Here's an info doc: http://www.drfarrahgray.com/FGPBOOKS.pdf

Sounds like more his venture than HCI's (http://www.hcibooks.com/).
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan M.R.J. Le Blanc's Avatar
    If they are legit, that's an icky way to say 'we're looking for submissions'. Total turn-off.
    Follow me on my Blog
    I'm also on Facebook
    I have a Dragon Cave

I'm not really sure why you would need Mr. Gray to submit to HCI. They take unagented submissions of book proposals.

Here is the page at HCI for Gray.

I just can't get past this:
    Gray's desirous to bring timeless, bold, and ambitiously contributive messages to an ever expanding audience-base of self-development seekers. Through various formats of self-help and self-development literature, Gray is passionate about providing true access points of transformation to those who desire true change in varying arenas of their lives.
    and this:

With Dr. Farrah Gray Publishing and HCI Books working in tandem, an incalculable numbers of lives stand in the doorway of ever expanding transformation.
    Really, he offers no guidance as to what he will be publishing other than ambitiously contributive messages. Whatever that means.
    <clickety to see my books

Join us for the Absolute Write-in #AWritein

Marguerite Says...Microwave Peanut Butter Fudge

I also Twitter & Facebook

People think Iím disciplined. It is not discipline. It is devotion. There is a great difference ~Luciano Pavarotti

Banned
    Craigslist? Srsly? Ouch.

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    I just blogged about Farrah Gray Publishing at Writer Beware.

The short version: two FGP authors say the publisher demanded $100,000 for marketing, and when they couldn't pay, withheld thousands of dollars in royalties and billed them for the balance.

- Victoria

Banned
    Vic, I'm really confused about this. HCI is an established publisher, so why would they allow their imprint to be so shady? Don't they worry about the blowback?

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    Your guess is as good as mine, Lynn. I'm thinking maybe FGP operates semi-autonomously, and HCI didn't know? At any rate, I'm betting that Don Lemon and Flavor Flav didn't get billed for $100K.

There's already been some blowblack on my blog: this morning I found two anonymous comments attacking Frost's and Hall's characters and alleging there are "other sides" to the story--but, of course, offering no documentation. I rarely delete comments, but I got rid of these because I don't like personal attacks.

- Victoria

Banned
    Yep, I saw those two comments before you zapped them. It didn't take many brain cells to figure out who wrote them.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    If Amazon is to be believed, hasn't published anything since '11. Has been involved in a variety of lawsuits, however, both as defendant and plaintiff.

An example I found interesting: http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/USCOURT...cv-02696-1.pdf (tl;dr - Author signs endorsement deal with hair-care product company. FGP sues company for copyright infringement for using her book in ads, etc. FGP loses because book is copyrighted to author.)
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017: