The AW Amazon Store
Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One Body Press

One Body Press

I am looking at a very new Christian publisher. They have only sold 1 title released June 1st which I do find on B&N.com (listed as shipping within 24 hours) and on Amazon (listed as 'sold out' currently).

They are a traditional publisher. No fees to their authors and they do pay royalties. They cover all costs of publication and distribution. They distribute through Ingram and are working on distribution through Baker & Taylor. They set up book signings and attempt to get the author's book reviewed by author's local newspaper.

I know the biggest drawback of a new publisher is obviously the lack of a track record. Also, I can't find anything (pro or con) about them and they aren't listed on the Bewares board. Is there a benefit though to signing with a new publisher? Any advice would be appreciated!!
    Last edited by gracemichael; 06-17-2010 at 03:21 PM.

I'm not sure what you mean by they've "sold" one title. Publishers generally BUY books.

Do they place books in any stores or are all sales done through on-line channels? What's their name?

volitare nequeo AW Moderator veinglory's Avatar
    A small publisher with one book released (when?) is generally a self-publisher--ergo they deliver little more, and possibly somewhat less, than you could do on your own.
    Emily Veinglory

but appreciated anyway... Unimportant's Avatar
    Is the author of their one-and-only title also the owner of the publishing company?

Have you seen this book available for purchase in the places where you and your friends would normally buy books of this genre?

Oops, my fault .. it is way too late here .. they have published one title. (Looking at too many 'agent' posts lately!! )

One Body Press is their name. I don't know if they have their titles in stores yet or just online; I plan to visit Lifeway tomorrow to see if their title is there. Their 2nd release is set for the end of the summer.

The above comments pretty much say it all. However, I think we could all be more helpful if you decided to let us know who the publisher is. There's a wealth of knowledge to be found on these boards when presented with the proper info.

Is the author of their one-and-only title also the owner of the publishing company?
    No, it is completely different although I suppose it could be a pen name.

I posted while you were posting. I can't find anything on Google. I'll try a bunch of other info sources and will let you know if I find anything.

I think this is the link:

http://www.onebodypress.org/
    Why doesn't George R. R. Martin use Twitter? He already killed off all 140 characters.

I posted while you were posting. I can't find anything on Google. I'll try a bunch of other info sources and will let you know if I find anything.
    Thanks!

I think this is the link:

http://www.onebodypress.org/
    Yup, that's the one.

Q: What kind of Royalties do you give?

R: Royalties are negotiated on a per contract basis. We cannot disclose the amount of royalties paid from one author to the next, but we do go by the industry average. Our royalties are paid on the gross price vice net price of the book (ie, royalties are calculated from the retail price of the book).
    Not a good sign when they don't have a standard royalty rate.

practical experience, FTW MickRooney's Avatar
    Q: What kind of Royalties do you give?

R: Royalties are negotiated on a per contract basis. We cannot disclose the amount of royalties paid from one author to the next, but we do go by the industry average. Our royalties are paid on the gross price vice net price of the book (ie, royalties are calculated from the retail price of the book).
    What the f*** is 'gross price vice net price of the book'!!

It's either gross or net. If royalties are calculated on the retail price, then it should be enough for a publisher simply to state that, indicating the specific percentage given.

haz a shiny new book cover Christine N.'s Avatar
    Yeah, I don't think I've ever heard of a publisher that negotiates royalty rates. Advances, sure. Number of free copies, yes. But the actual royalty rate? Weird.

And while not well expressed, at least they would be giving those royalties based on the retail price of the book and not the price the vendor paid.
    Christine

Young Adult Fantasy Author

A CURSE OF ASH AND IRON: Coming Spring 2015 from Curiosity Quills Press

"The Watchmaker's Ball" (short story), to be included in BEWARE THE LITTLE WHITE RABBIT (anthology), coming April 14 from Leap Books

Represented by Jordy Albert of Booker Albert Literary

I tweet

Young Adult Authors You've Never Heard Of

volitare nequeo AW Moderator veinglory's Avatar
    I see that they recommend this forum in their website--so perhaps they are a member and can clarify?
    Emily Veinglory

The desert of S. California and the coast of N. Ireland.
    Opened March 2010. The one author is an AW member or at least reads AW because he links to AW on his website. Perhaps he will see this thread and provide more information.

~brianm~
    "This is one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever." Sigmund Freud (about the Irish)

"Opera singers have resonance where their brains ought to be." Anna Russell

Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
    The cover of the one book they have released doesn't look impressive. The picture and title are in the upper half of the cover, leaving about half of it blank. Why didn't they make the title larger? It's not easy even to read off the screen, let alone at a distance.
    Ghost : Christmas Past. With beta!
    Spirit : Christmas Present. 13,038 words.

Quote Originally Posted by MickRooney View Post
    What the f*** is 'gross price vice net price of the book'!!

It's either gross or net. If royalties are calculated on the retail price, then it should be enough for a publisher simply to state that, indicating the specific percentage given.
    I think they mean 'vs' instead of 'vice'...that is, they were making a comparison of what they do (retail price) vs an alternative (net). The parenthetical sentence following clarifies that it's retail price.
    Changing Gears (available now) -- Winning the race doesn’t equal winning at life.

The DragonSpawn Cycle: AutumnQuest | WinterMaejic | SpringFire | SummerDanse available for Kindle

Author website | Author blog

Behind the door of a small house.
    Quote Originally Posted by Christine N. View Post
    Yeah, I don't think I've ever heard of a publisher that negotiates royalty rates. Advances, sure. Number of free copies, yes. But the actual royalty rate? Weird.
    I've never known that to be uncommon. Royalty rates, like advances, subsidiary rights, author copies, are all part of the moving machinery of a book contract. Some authors take lower advances in exchange for a higher royalty rate, electing to get paid more, faster, on the back end.
    Last edited by Round Two; 06-17-2010 at 06:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Terie View Post
    I think they mean 'vs' instead of 'vice'...
    Using vice instead of vs or versus is very common in the military. Always sounded wrong to me, but there it's standard.

Most dictionaries show "instead, in place of" as a third or fourth subsidiary meaning for vice, so it's correct even if it sounds a bit jargony. Someone who knows law better than I could probably say if it's standard legalese.

This aside has been brought to you by Conan the Grammarian.
    Why doesn't George R. R. Martin use Twitter? He already killed off all 140 characters.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gracemichael View Post
    They distribute through Ingram and are working on distribution through Baker & Taylor. They set up book signings and attempt to get the author's book reviewed by author's local newspaper.
    Grace, this is warehouse distribution. Having this arrangement only means that the books are listed in their database so bookstores or libraries can easily place an order. This does not get books into the bookstores.

For that, most indie presses establish relationships with distributors like IPG, Consortium, NBN, Partners - folks who have sales teams who actively pitch their catalog to genre buyers. That is what gets books on the shelves.

Grace, this is warehouse distribution. Having this arrangement only means that the books are listed in their database so bookstores or libraries can easily place an order. This does not get books into the bookstores.
    Their website mentions that their first title will be in bookstores in July. Is there a way to check to see if this is true short of going to all the Christian bookstores in town?

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    If they get a distributor and not just a wholesaler, one could trust they'll have physical stock on shelves somewhere -- although in how many stores would still be the question, given the nature of POD.

Founder Todd Uebele is AW member kappapi99 (call for subs to OBP here). No publishing experience beyond Lulu.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

practical experience, FTW kappapi99's Avatar
    I am the owner of One Body Press. We have two authors currently, and have just received a proposal from a third. We are BRAND NEW, thus the lack of information out on the net.

The decision not to post royalty rates on our website was mine. My partner disagreed, but I personally, I feel the contract between the author and our company is private.

If you disagree, that's fine. We have just started this venture, so I would ask that you do not judge us prematurely. As was stated in the OP, we handle all the costs of printing and distribution. Yes, we do get books into brick and mortar stores.

KP

practical experience, FTW
    How do you get them in stores?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast