Character retribution method for reader satisfaction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

m00bah

Registered
Reaction score
The ending to my novel has good emotional impact for the reader in relation to the two protagonists (man and woman), but I felt it needed something else going on externally in the plot to spice things up. I have decided to include a jealous ex-boyfriend of the woman who decides to be mischievous in the life of the male love interest.

My question is, do I need to have the male love interest get one over on the jealous ex by the end of the novel (for reader satisfaction), or is it fine to simply let him do things which are annoying to the male love interest and ultimately have him come to an end due to his own stupidity (i.e. in a car crash) which has nothing to do with the love interest "getting even"?

Basically, will the reader be satisfied if the character gets his comeuppance at the hands of his own actions, or do I need the person whom he is targeting to have some sense of retribution by doing something about it himself?

san_remo_ave

Back at it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elainegolden.com
For me there would only need to be a resolution to the ex subplot -- a reason he stops. I don't think there needs to be retribution at all. It might show some strong characterization on your protags part that he didn't try to 'get back' at the ex...

Jess Haines

Boldly going nowhere in particular.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jesshaines.com
For me there would only need to be a resolution to the ex subplot -- a reason he stops. I don't think there needs to be retribution at all. It might show some strong characterization on your protags part that he didn't try to 'get back' at the ex...

This.

Depending on the personality you're portraying, that is. If the guy is of the type who WOULD make an effort to "get back" at the ex, then by all means, carry it out.

Just be sure to think of the consequences and how the audience might view such an action.

Status
Not open for further replies.