Status
Not open for further replies.

DKM

In an interstitial space
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dkmiddle.wordpress.com
Okay, I'm sort of in the same category as my Wisconsin friend. Very interesting topic, though. Right now is there any consensus of the top two romance novels in the past two years? I'm trying to narrow down the search here. As a side note, I love Wuthering Heights and what Jane Austen has done, but that's another topic for another time.

scmitchell

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome DKM. It's good to see another guy over here. I would say that this could be the start of a beautiful bro-mance but you are from Minnesota, and the whole Brett Favre thing would just get in the way.

Interesting question. I wouldn't even venture a guess at what the two top romance novels of the past two years would be. I would be hard pressed to pick the two best romance novels that I read in the past two years. (Generally my favorite is the one I'm currently reading, which happens to be Changless by Gail Carriger. Good stuff.)

I do know that one of the top two romance novels of the next two years is the one I'm writing right now though, if that helps :)

Steve

sunandshadow

Impractical Fantasy Animal
Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
Is it even worth asking what's top in the whole vast genre? Most writers are only interested in writing a few subgenres, might as well ask what's top in the subgenre you want to write.

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
Welcome!

Yes, as sunandshadow says, there are so many subgenres! Are you looking for historical--regency, perhaps, since you're an Austen fan? Paranormal? Contemporary? Erotic? Any combination of those? :)

For a regency, I highly recommend ONCE A SCOUNDREL by Candace Hern:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/On...Hern/e/9780060505639/?itm=6&USRI=candace+hern

It's one of my favorite romances ever; witty, charming, well-written, and sexy. I also recommend any of Julia Quinn's "Bridgerton" books; I'd start with THE VISCOUNT WHO LOVED ME, because I believe that's the first. And it was my favorite. (ETA: I've been informed that in fact THE DUKE AND I is the first Bridgerton book. Thanks for telling me! You could have just posted it here! :) )

For paranormals the field is so big it's hard to know what to recommend; do you like vampires? Weres? Witches? Demons?

And contemporaries...of course there's always Nora Roberts, but I confess I've never read any of her books. I did quite enjoy Anna J. Evans' SKIN DEEP*; it's a light BDSM novel with some really cool elements.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Skin-Deep/Anna-J-Evans/e/9781101060827/?itm=3&USRI=anna+j+evans

*Disclosure: Anna J. Evans is one of my critique partners. But she wouldn't be one if I didn't love her work, and frankly I don't read a lot of contemporaries; this is one I have read and enjoyed, so there you go.

I like medievals a lot but can really only think of Kinley MacGregor (a pen name of Sherrilyn Kenyon) off the top of my head; I have a hard time finding medievals I truly enjoy. (Although I did write one called BLACK DRAGON for Cerridwen Press several years ago now; my attempt at an old-school style romance. :) It did get excellent reviews, which was nice.)

Hope those help!

Last edited:

Evangeline

Twirling in a glass of champagne
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.edwardianpromenade.com
Okay, I'm sort of in the same category as my Wisconsin friend. Very interesting topic, though. Right now is there any consensus of the top two romance novels in the past two years? I'm trying to narrow down the search here. As a side note, I love Wuthering Heights and what Jane Austen has done, but that's another topic for another time.

Check out this list of the Top 100 romances, as voted on by readers, in 2007 (I'm not sure, but I think this list is compiled every two to three years).

LorelieBrown

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
Top two of the past two years? *snort* Good luck on that.

I think the Kinley Macgregors count as fantasy medieval, actually. Well, the Lords of Avalon series do, I haven't read any others of hers.

Margaret Mallory writes straight medievals. TBH, I haven't read them, but I keep meaning to. My poor TBR pile is about to topple.

For contemporary, I'd suggest Victoria Dahl's. I <3 'em. Historical there's our own Joanna Bourne or Loretta Chase and Lisa Kleypas. Under paranormal, I'd recommend Ava Gray/Ann Aguirre's Skin Tight. No vamps, no weres, still an amazing book. (Disclosure - I consider Ann Aguirre a friend.)

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
I think the Kinley Macgregors count as fantasy medieval, actually. Well, the Lords of Avalon series do, I haven't read any others of hers.

I was thinking of the MacAllisters books; those are straight medieval. :) Good to know re the Avalon series, though! I haven't read any of those.

LorelieBrown

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, they've got this alternate Camelot world going on. I remember Merlin is a chick but not much else.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If you're an Austen fan, I highly recomend Georgette Heyer. Try Frederica or Regency Buck. Those are two of my favorites.

DKM

In an interstitial space
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dkmiddle.wordpress.com
Thanks everyone for the info. I've read all your comments and think all of them are right on. Based on what I'm hearing, things are looking up.

Your friend,

DKM

Status
Not open for further replies.