Balancing the power between Protags

Status
Not open for further replies.

MissMacchiato

Bring on the Sweet, Sweet Coffee
Registered
Reaction score
I'm really interested to see how other writers do this.

The balance of power between characters is an enormously important part of romance, and quite often, the female is in some way restricted in the amount of power that she has. I know some readers (many, if Johanna Lindsay sales are anything to go by) actually like this, but...

How do you balance this in your writing?

I've been reading some J.D Robb, and I love that the MC, Eve, is totally kickass, but still has that intimacy and love with her husband. It's not overly saccharine, and he lets her be strong, but is not in any way emasculated by her.

I think it's quite a tough line to tread, especially in historicals.

I'm looking at my work and thinking, I don't think I've quite hit the balance I like yet.

Thoughts?

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
The biggest thing is respect. Both parties have to respect the physical and/or mental abilities of the other. It helps to give them different specialties. Like, I'm good with communication/composition in my own relationship, while my husband specializes in science and math (which I suck at!) While his interests don't really interest me, and mine don't really interest him (including writing) we acknowledge the other's skill and admire their knowledge.

But if you're talking about "balancing the power" as far as romantic conflict in a book, then that's a different thing. Usually that comes from a lack of understanding about the other. For example, in one of our paranormal romances, I made both the hero and heroine cops. She's a sheriff in a small southern town and he's a beat cop in a big northern city. Instant conflict! They're forced to join forces, and both have good ideas about how to do it. But they don't have the SAME ideas and that's where the conflict come in. He wants to do it his way and she tries to explain why it's impossible to impose a city way of thinking on small town residents. It'd never work for the scenario. So, he learns to respect her as she finds a way to improvise his ideas along with her own knowledge to make a workable solution that smooths the waters with the locals. She learns to respect him for having tactical knowledge she's never been forced to know.

Etc. Does that help a little? :)

MissMacchiato

Registered
Reaction score
just re reading this, and yes, it absolutely is helpful.

I'm still trying to hit that balance though, sigh!

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
I keep a quote handy (on a Post-it stuck to the bottom of my monitor) that reads:

A conflict only works if the two parties are truly equal in some way, and have some kind of power over each other.

I have no idea who said it or where I read it, but when I'm having conflict problems it always helps.

chris41336

Registered
Reaction score
Hi MissMacchiato!

I had the same problem as you in a paranormal romance I am writing (well, just finished actually.)

I wanted my female MC to be stronger than the typical romance female, and I used Bella from twilight as sort of the opposite of what I wanted my MC to be. It was especially hard for me, because my book is written from the perspective of a Male MC...in First Person.

But honestly, I simply didn't let her appear weak or devoid of opinion. My MC was easy to appear strong because the entire book is from his persepctive, with his ideas, etc., so I made my female MC not afraid to counter what he says when she disagrees, etc. Also, in the "fight scenes", she isn't simply hiding behind him either. Sure, there always is that to an extent to make the male appear "romantic", but I have at least one scene where she needs to help him in a fight scene (albeit using his dropped weapon).

Hope that helps a bit!

Irysangel

She of Many Names
Registered
Reaction score
She doesn't have to be physically stronger than him - you could always give her skill sets that he doesn't have. Like if he's an assassin, maybe she's a master thief that can pick any lock. Their mindsets would be compatible (both are living on the wrong side of the law) and both are awesome at their jobs. He might need to protect her every once in a while, but it doesn't make her helpless or useless.

I think it depends on your setting, too - power balance is a lot easier to do in paranormal (Kresley Cole's heroines are usually pretty strong and strong-willed) than it is, say, in Regency Historical (where a strong heroine is going to be constrained by the mores of society). Which is not to say that you cannot make her strong in a Regency (look at Jo Bourne's SPYMASTER'S LADY) but that you will need to tread a more delicate line so people do not feel she is anachronistic or too 'modern' in her sensibilities.

Good luck! I think this is a great question - I know that most publishers/readers you talk with nowdays want the strong heroine. It's ok for the guy to save her sometimes, but the modern heroine also has to save herself now and then. ;)

Chasing the Horizon

Blowing in the Wind
Registered
Reaction score
My WIP isn't romance, but I still wanted the relationship between my two leads (who have a romantic sub-plot) to be at least somewhat fair and balanced. It was really hard to do, because at first glance Tasha seemed to have all the important abilities. She's physically and emotionally tougher than Chris, more outspoken, and she's the one who's been given the enchanted monster-killing sword too. So I looked deeper to see what Tasha isn't good at, and saw that she really lacks creativity and attention to detail (like so many alpha characters do). So I ramped up Chris's abilities in the areas where Tasha was weak, so they could make a genuine team.

Towards the beginning of the story, Chris takes detailed notes of everything the priestess tells them, then is able to use that information in conjunction with what's happening to find a solution to their problem that Tasha would never, ever have thought of. Chris may not be great at killing monsters, but Tasha would never have found the monster they need to kill if it weren't for him. That's a pattern that repeats in different forms throughout the story.

I figure the fact that neither character could have overcome the obstacles of the plot without help from the other is a good sign that the relationship is reasonably balanced.

MissMacchiato

Registered
Reaction score
Irys, you're totally right. I'm only just now finding out how much easier Paranormal is than historical to balance out.

Chasing, I really like your take on it. I think that's what I want of my characters too. They complement each other, and they give the other what they NEED

dirtsider

Not so new, really
Registered
Reaction score
Jane Austin's very good at having strong female characters despite all the social constraints of her time. Yes, Elizabeth Bennett's mother's looking to marry her off but there's no way she's going to marry just anyone. (If that was the case, she would've married her cousin, despite how insipid the man was, and her family would've been set.) Or she would've married D'Arcy when he first asked despite his arrogance, rather than waiting until he had overcome it. That being said, I doubt D'Arcy would've been happy with anyone less than Elizabeth Bennett because she was the only one who had the intelligence and wit to match his and the courage to call him on his own flaws and follies.

Even if the characters are being married off or otherwise socially constrained, it's how they hold to their own convictions and thoughts that helps even out the balance of power.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.