• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Publicist] Milton Kahn Associates Inc.

ILSinTexas

requiescat in pace
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Humm ...

I received an email addressed to me from Milton Kahn today. http://www.miltonkahnpr.com/

He's a publicist (and apparently one of the best) from what I can gather by googling him.

He went on about how a writer needs a publicist to work with them to promote their book -- yadda, yadda.

I deleted it, but I find it odd. How did he get my name and email address? The only thing that comes to mind is recently (within the last two weeks), I've sent queries to two agents who handle scripts and novels.

I wonder if one of them passed along my email address?

Has anyone else experienced this?

Obviously, I'm not ready to hire a publicist. I'm still in the trenches querying agents.

M.R.J. Le Blanc

aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan
Registered
Reaction score
I think the 'writer needs a publicist' line sounds like a line to try and encourage you to enlist him. Many writers seem to do just fine without one *shrug*

This is the second time someone who's supposed to be on the up-and-up do this kind of thing. Have to wonder if they're feeling the crunch from the economy and are getting desperate, perhaps? I don't know, it's weird.

ILSinTexas

requiescat in pace
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
C.T. -

I doubt it was from my blog. I just started it this weekend, and I doubt I've had much traffic. I still think it could be one of the Hollywood agents I queried. I lived in California for years, and those guys in Hollywood are, well, different.

Le Blanc -

You're right. The economy does strange things to people. Last week, I received a free self-published and signed book in the mail. I don't even know the author. It had to cost him a bundle, 'cause he used Publish America. I believe he got my name and address from the membership list of HWA. It boggles my mind to think he bought all these books and paid the postage to get his name out there. Will I read it? Yeah, I'll try to read it. :)

JulieB

I grow my own catnip
Registered
Reaction score
I got an e-mail from him today. Addressed to me, but not personalized at all beyond that.

Last edited:

jeffreyballen

Registered
Reaction score
my reply

Humm ...

I received an email addressed to me from Milton Kahn today. http://www.miltonkahnpr.com/

He's a publicist (and apparently one of the best) from what I can gather by googling him.

He went on about how a writer needs a publicist to work with them to promote their book -- yadda, yadda.

I deleted it, but I find it odd. How did he get my name and email address? The only thing that comes to mind is recently (within the last two weeks), I've sent queries to two agents who handle scripts and novels.

I wonder if one of them passed along my email address?

Has anyone else experienced this?

Obviously, I'm not ready to hire a publicist. I'm still in the trenches querying agents.

When you are ready for a Public Relations firm to promote your book, I could not think of any firm in the country who is more reputable and established that Milton Kahn PR.

jeffreyballen

Registered
Reaction score
When you are ready for a Public Relations firm to promote your book, I could not think of any firm in the country who is more reputable and established that Milton Kahn PR.

Jeffrey B. Allen
Author / Gone Away Into the Land

Miss Plum

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
I think the 'writer needs a publicist' line sounds like a line to try and encourage you to enlist him. Many writers seem to do just fine without one *shrug*
I don't have anything to say about Mr Kahn, but it's certainly true that writers need publicists these days. Publishers just don't offer the services they used to. The question is whether to be your own publicist or hire one.

M.R.J. Le Blanc

aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan
Registered
Reaction score
No offense, but I wouldn't trust an author published by Strategic Publishing to give good advice. Sorry.

Round Two

Behind the door of a small house.
Registered
Reaction score

Jeffrey B. Allen
Author / Gone Away Into the Land

Jeffrey-

How much research have you done on the subject of PR firms? How did you evaluate the different firms to come to the conclusion that you "could not think of any firm in the country who is more reputable and established that (sic) Milton Kahn PR?"

I see that your book is available now (and has been for awhile), but your national media campaign isn't beginning until July. Why did you choose this route? Conventional wisdom says that your best bet for getting any sort of coverage from the national media is before the book comes out or upon release. Did Mr. Kahn advise you to take this course of action?

Also, there are some errors/typos on the front page of your website (calling Book Expo America "New York Book Expo," and the last sentence before your name has a typo), you might want to go over it before launching the campaign. The media is quick to dismiss anything that doesn't inspire great confidence. Image, unfortunately, is very important.

Also, for clarification's sake--are you saying that Book Expo America invited you to sign at the show? I've never known them to invite anybody but the keynote speaker and panelists for their programming and your name doesn't pop up on the official show list. Did Mr. Kahn secure the invite for you?

priceless1

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.behlerpublications.com
Publishers just don't offer the services they used to. The question is whether to be your own publicist or hire one.
Where a publisher's in-house publicist could get the job done years ago, they can't anymore because of the media and internet explosion. Publicity and promotion are much more in-depth than days gone by. When you multiply the expanded breadth of the job times the number of authors a house may have, and you can see where it's harder to give the kind of individual attention one would like for each of their authors. Publicists - good ones - offer their clients the individualized attention they need in order to propel their name into the mainstream.

That said, I wouldn't look to this particular publicist to meet that need.

ETA: Many publicists avoid fiction because it's hard to rep unless the author has a nice platform or the story has good social relevance. Most big media passes on it.

Last edited:

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Actually, a publicist can do a world of good for a fiction author. Milton Kahn is one of the major names in the business. However, like most things---when the economy is down and people are trimming budgets one of the first things to get cut is publicity. I've no doubt that Kahn and Berland and some others are probably looking for new clients as existing ones are cutting down. I'd considered using him myself after researching various companies. But he has previously concentrated on NF and general fiction, rather than genre fiction. Nancy Berland is better known for genre fiction like romance and SF/F. Don't know who is the big name in mystery publicity, but I'm sure there is one.

I didn't worry about getting an email from him. Mass marketing isn't a sign someone is somehow going down the tubes. It's merely a way to reach a new potential clientele. If you're interested, contact him. Just know it's PRICEY (think $250-1,000 per MONTH), which is why many are cutting back. But he does have the contacts so if you've got a book that would be a good Oprah book club selection or something that would work well on the Today show or Ellen, go for it!

Miss Plum

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Where a publisher's in-house publicist could get the job done years ago, they can't anymore because of the media and internet explosion. Publicity and promotion are much more in-depth than days gone by. When you multiply the expanded breadth of the job times the number of authors a house may have, and you can see where it's harder to give the kind of individual attention one would like for each of their authors. Publicists - good ones - offer their clients the individualized attention they need in order to propel their name into the mainstream.
priceless1, I also contend that publishers are generally just doing less -- less editing, less communicating, less publicizing. There's not as much money anymore.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
I was thinking of the base rate, Miss Plum. Yes, there are many friends of mine who pay $4,000-$5,000 per month for a publicist. :eek:

I struggle with the concept of a publicist because not only do I LIKE marketing, I'm pretty good at it. So I want a company/person who can do things I can't. That's tricky, because I can do a lot and I know a ton of people. So for me to pay that much money, I either need to be unable to do the work (like on my deathbed) or they have an "in" I'm unable to get.

Zona Mae

Registered
Reaction score
Publicist Milton Kahn

I just found this site, and realize this thread is almost a year old. I wish I could have warned other writers here sooner. In Dec. 2008, I received an email from Milton Kahn. He had found me through my website. I told him I was sure I could not afford him. He persisted by email and phone. After a month of research, checking his credentials and references, I hired him. It was the biggest and most costly mistake of my life. For a 6 month "campaign", I ended up with 4 radio (by telephone) interviews with people whose names I did not recognize. The interviews were about 20 minutes each and produced not one book sale. As someone commented, he should have had the contacts and experience to have done something. He talked a good talk and led me to believe we could get some tv interviews, newspaper reviews, etc. As far as I could tell, all he did was send out emails and letters. What he did I could have done myself and spent the money on tv ads and other advertising. From what I learned and what I read on this thread, he is targeting writers on the internet and leading them to believe he can get their names and books out there. For one thing, I believe he is far behind the times in his methods. I hope this will put other writers on their guard when dealing with people who contact them. If anyone wants more information, feel free to contact me.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Kahn sends out periodic waves of spam emails--I hear from writers every time he does.

Kahn has real PR credits, but most of them seem to be pretty ancient, and there's little sign of recent activity. He's clearly trading on his past reputation to draw in clients with these cold-call solicitations.

Edited 8/25/11 to add: I've gotten three of Kahn's spams myself, in 2004, 2009, and 2010.

- Victoria

Last edited:

ntalk42

Registered
Reaction score
Milton Kahn?

Hi:

Just curious if anyone here ever used Milton Kahn.

I have a book out right now from a major publisher. It's been well-reviewed by a number of major publications, although I think my publisher could have done much more publicity.

A few months after the book came out, Kahn contacted me unsolicited, offering me his services. I spoke to him on the phone and he claimed he could do much more than my own publisher. His price was fairly steep.

Anyway, I'd be interested in hearing anyone's experiences with Kahn, if they have any.

Thanks.

ntalk42

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
There's a thread on him here. <snipped>

Last edited by a moderator:

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Tw & FB ceased in '13, blog Apr '15. Site gone by end of '15.