Word Count question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenra Daniels

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kenradaniels.com
I know this has probably been discussed before, but my search didn't answer my question.

My paranormal romance is 110k words. Is this a great deal too long? Everyone tells me it should be around 90k, but I've cut it to the bone, from 130k. Will the word count hurt my chances of publication?
If so, I'll have to remove a plot twist or two, to get it down further.

Thanks in advance for your help.
DL

Ambri

Plotting something
Registered
Reaction score
Second star to the right, straight on till evening
I'm unpublished, myself, so don't take my word as gospel. What I've heard is for a romance single title, 80K to 100K is acceptable. If you have a simply amazing story, though, I would *think* that agents and editors would take a chance on a slightly longer MS. Have you had betas and critique partners read it over to tell you if there are any other places where it could be tightened up, etc?

Good luck!

Lainey Bancroft

Cover Me!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elaineforlife.com
Around 90k is much more the norm these days. I'll second Ambri's question: has the novel been walked past trusted betas or crit partners?

Also, is this a first novel? Firsts for many of us run long and it is amazing how a couple 'tightening tricks' as simple as eliminating unnecessary dialogue tags can trim a bloated word count.

Kenra Daniels

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kenradaniels.com
Yes, this is my first novel. It's been through a couple of readers now, and a trusted critique partner. I'll ask them if there were more areas that seemed too fleshy. I've also decided I can live without a minor plot twist, which I think will get the word count to a more acceptable level.

Thanks for taking the time to reply!
DL

Status
Not open for further replies.