Many of my suspicions about U.S. drivers confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ha! Score one for "flyover country" -- and I got a 100% on my last driving test. *gloats*

Drivers in Kansas did the best, followed by Oregon, South Dakota, Minnesota and Iowa. In general, drivers in the Midwest seemed to be the most informed about the rules of the road, while drivers in the Northeast fared worst.

Of course, the fact that I don't drive anymore probably negates my little anecdote, but still. :D

Michael Wolfe

Jambo Bwana
Registered
Reaction score
What's your anecdote? I hate when I'm teased like this. :)

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What's your anecdote? I hate when I'm teased like this. :)

Pedant. :tongue

I meant my little anecdotal data point -- my perfect score on the driving test.

Now, my first go-round would be right on trend. I passed the written with flying colors, and 99% of the driving. Parallel parking defeated me TWICE before I could finally get my license. Those poor, abused traffic cones.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Isn't the reason for periodic testing (and the associated astronomical fees) supposed to be to keep the dangerous drivers off the road?

Yeah, I went there. So sue me. :D

Fran

Slate grey mole person
Registered
Reaction score
Isn't the reason for periodic testing (and the associated astronomical fees) supposed to be to keep the dangerous drivers off the road?

I didn't know you had periodic testing over there. Here you pass your test and that's you, unless you lose your licence for driving offences and are court-ordered to resit it or develop a medical condition (such as epilepsy) which bars you from driving.

The astronomical fees do apply here though. :D

Susan Gable

Dreamer of dreams, teller of tales
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susangable.com
Northeastern drivers KNOW the rules -- it's just that the rules don't apply to THEM personally, you see. ;)

(And I learned to drive in Jersey, so I know of what I speak. <G>)

Important person coming through! The rest of you...people...just get out of the way!!

Here in Erie, we have a lot of 4 way stop signs. It works here. Everyone politely takes their turn. In Jersey, that wouldn't work so well. Cause the attitude is, I don't care if you have the right of way, I'm going NOW so deal with it. <G>

Susan G.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't know you had periodic testing over there. Here you pass your test and that's you, unless you lose your licence for driving offences and are court-ordered to resit it or develop a medical condition (such as epilepsy) which bars you from driving.

The astronomical fees do apply here though. :D
I think it varies from state to state here, and it's gotten less rigorous over the years. Indiana had a 4-year retest (written only) when I was young, and I actually had to get a manual and review it before testing each time. The last license I got, in Florida, is good for 8 years. The written test was a joke. The $65 fee was not.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think it varies from state to state here, and it's gotten less rigorous over the years. Indiana had a 4-year retest (written only) when I was young, and I actually had to get a manual and review it before testing each time. The last license I got, in Florida, is good for 8 years. The written test was a joke. The $65 fee was not.

Holy bankroll, Batman! It only costs $28 here. :eek:

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Holy bankroll, Batman! It only costs $28 here. :eek:
It's more than doubled in the last couple of years. It has nothing to do with highway safety, and everything to do with the looters running out of things to loot.

Fran

Slate grey mole person
Registered
Reaction score

Our fees for sir's amusement. (And possibly horror. :D)

And you have to pay for the provisional licence before you can pay for all that. ;)

Norman D Gutter

Engineer Sonneteer
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
davidatodd.com
I'm not sure I see the validity in this testing. I'll have to do some more research and reading (only have time right now to skim the linked article) before concluding.

However, having learned to drive in the 47th ranked state (RI), and lived a number of years in the no. 1 state (KS), and now having lived 19 years in the 36th state (AR), I can tell you the "rules of the road", either statutory or as practiced, differ from state to state, and especially from the Northeast to the rest of the country. So how each state ranks on the test may reflect the rules of the road learned by whoever developed or grades the test.

NDG

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe I'm crazy, but I think the fact that car crashes are no worse than they already are kind of shows that we're not THAT bad. I mean, considering how many cars and how many drivers are shit, you'd expect millions of people would die every year, instead of thousands.

Still, anyone else think we should just computerize driving? I mean...why not? If you're driving in a city or on a high way, why put the controls in the hands of a human when you could have a computer drive everyone without crashing.

Obviously, cars would still need controls that you can switch on, if you're going off a computerized course...but still, how many lives would that save.

And more than that, my mom would stop making me drive places.

Romantic Heretic

uncoerced
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.romantic-heretic.com
I don't drive because I know I'm a bad driver. I wish more people had that attitude. As a constant pedestrian I often wish I could do something safe, like disarming IEDs in Iraq. At least everybody there knows what they are doing and why. ;)

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe I'm crazy, but I think the fact that car crashes are no worse than they already are kind of shows that we're not THAT bad. I mean, considering how many cars and how many drivers are shit, you'd expect millions of people would die every year, instead of thousands.
Yeah, I've always been amazed that we can hand the controls of a ton-plus lethal object, filled with explosive liquid, to anybody who passes a perfunctory written and practical exam, and allow them to drive head-on at unbelievable speeds toward other similarly vetted individuals, with less-than-disastrous results, yet we're scared to death of that same person having a gun in their hand. Our predominant transportation system is the best argument for personal responsibility that I'm aware of.
Still, anyone else think we should just computerize driving? I mean...why not? If you're driving in a city or on a high way, why put the controls in the hands of a human when you could have a computer drive everyone without crashing.
Welcome to Westworld, where nothing can possibly go wrong, go wrong, go wrong...

Last edited:

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
I've known NY and NJ were the worst since I first visited the area a decade ago. I nearly got killed twice just trying to use crosswalks.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
I'd be interested to know if there's a difference in driving distraction between talking on a cell phone or talking to someone seated next to you. I know many drivers who turn to LOOK at the passenger as they talk. I don't think they do that while on the phone.

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
I'd be interested to know if there's a difference in driving distraction between talking on a cell phone or talking to someone seated next to you. I know many drivers who turn to LOOK at the passenger as they talk. I don't think they do that while on the phone.
Studies aside, when I'm talking to my wife in the car, she's also acting as navigator and backup spotter. If we were on the phone, she'd have a much harder time spotting that semi about to drive into my side, or the exit I'm about to miss because I'm busy talking. :)

Bird of Prey

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I took the test, should have done better, but frankly, I didn't care. This kind of thing is rather insignificant imho. I think if we looked at the actual cause of accidents, it has little to do with the exam. I suspect that drunk driving, texting and/or cell phone usage, distraction as per multi-tasking while driving, and road rage are probably the top reasons for fatalities or severe wrecks. Most people concentrating on driving - even if they pass on a double yellow line - are clear headed enough to make sure there isn't an oncoming car. . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.