What Happened to Ruthie's Club?

Deleted member 42

Ruthie died, and Neil Anthony and Dulcie and Fr. Nat kept it going as long as possible, but the costs went up, and the subs went down, and they all had real life jobs. They wanted to pay writers and artists.

JanDarby

Registered
Reaction score
I got a note from them before they shut down, telling contributors to the site that they were going on hiatus, hoping to reopen, but it didn't seem likely.

It's a real shame. They were lovely to work with, always paid on time, took the editing seriously and always offered a bit of praise to the writers (and presumably the visual artists too).

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
The gave me my first paying gig and were lovely. I didn't get the letter because I hadn't subbed to them in a long time. They paid a decent solid little wack of money for short stories. So sad.

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
I heard rumours they were supposed to reopen, but it seems that it never happened. The letters they used to send with their nicely sized checks were so affirming to a new writer.

Last edited:

Deleted member 42

I'll pass that on. They really were serious about supporting writers and artists.

Wade Beauchamp

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know how to contact Neil Anthony these days? I'd like to request his permission in using a quote of his as a blurb. Neil and the whole Ruthie's Club crew were awesome. I miss them!