F.E.A.R 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
So, FEAR was pretty good, if a bit snooker loopy. It had slow mo before slow mo became completely overused, and the environments got nicely shot up. The scares made me shit my pants the first time through, but they're kinda just annoying now.

FEAR 2 blew chunks. I played a bit of it and was profoundly disappointed by it...the whole feel of the game was just wrong, and the story was...well, even more snooker and even more loopey. Add to that the fact that you were playing YET ANOTHER silent protagonist in a game where it made ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE.

Seriously, the kicker was that in a level, I saw people following a ghostly voice. They died. Over the radio, one of my squadmates said, "I hear ghostly voices. I'm going to follow them."

Now, in real life, my character would have said, "No! The last people I saw who did that died horrible horrible deaths."

In FEAR 2, the guy stayed quiet and BAM! Squadmate was turned into fine puree.

And so, the news that they were making F.E.A.R 3 (or F.3.A.R, I guess they're calling it) made me full of complete apathy.

And then I saw the trailer.

And you play as Paxton Fettel.

I sat there for a few moments.

I...

You...

That...

You play as Paxton Fettel.

And from what I can tell the gameplay swaps between you possessing people, ripping them to pieces with your mind powers, or working with a shaggy faced man who - and I'm going out on a limb here - is most likely your brother, the main character from FEAR 1.

Holy shit, that actually sounds fucking awesome.

Also, hey, the trailer is part FMV. I just noticed.

whistlelock

Whiskey Rebel
Registered
Reaction score
Somehow I ended up in Fort Worth. Dunno how that h
fear 2 was competent shooter mixed with an incompetent horror story.

horror is all about powerlessness and helplessness. The main character in Fear 2 is a super soldier.

super soldiers are by their very nature neither powerless or helpless.

MRevelle83

Complication
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rpgmmag.com
And from what I can tell the gameplay swaps between you possessing people, ripping them to pieces with your mind powers, or working with a shaggy faced man who - and I'm going out on a limb here - is most likely your brother, the main character from FEAR 1.

Yes, that is the Point Man.

Also, John Carpenter is directing the game's cutscenes. :)

Mann Crux

Love it would be much better
Registered
Reaction score
fear 2 was competent shooter mixed with an incompetent horror story.

horror is all about powerlessness and helplessness. The main character in Fear 2 is a super soldier.

super soldiers are by their very nature neither powerless or helpless.

This.

I'm fed up of so called "horror" or "psychological horror" games. Most of them are little more than shooters cloaked in spooky robes making ghost noises and jumping at out you from behind corners only to be handily dispatched with a high-powered rifle, a blunt instrument or some other weapon.

And Fear 2 did indeed blow chunks.

Hopefully this will be worth playing, but I think this franchise has had its day. I'll probably save my money for Sniper Ghost Warrior or DE:HR.

ArthurW

Full of it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ArthurWangArt.com
Honestly, that trailer looked kind of stupid with the real-life acting. I was more excited for FEAR3 before then. :(

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
Launch trailer

I think it helps to think of FEAR as more of a FPS with a scary atmosphere, rather than an actual horror game.
It's enough to scare me, but I frighten easily.
Only a few more days (June 21) ...not that I'll be playing it any time soon. I still have to finish F2 and Reborn, then wait for some kind of sale...

Anyone interested in trying out the series should head to Steam--complete set of games for $10. Not that there's much point to playing Extraction Point or Perseus Mandate. I went through them with cheats.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.