Obama seeks to create tool to cut unnecessary spending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert Toy

FOB and Slayer of windmills
Registered
Reaction score
WASHINGTON, May 24 (Reuters) - U.S. President Barack Obama is sending a proposal to Congress on Monday that would make it quicker and easier to trim "wasteful" costs from congressional spending bills, an administration official said.

The "Reduce Unnecessary Spending Act of 2010" would enable the president to submit a package of cuts or "rescissions" to Congress after lawmakers pass one of the annual spending or appropriations bills that fund federal programs every year.

Under the terms of the proposal, Congress would have to look at the president's slate of suggested cuts as a package and, without making any amendments, give them an up-or-down vote within a specific period of time.

This would speed up the process used by presidents to reduce special provisions, commonly called "earmarks" or "pork," that lawmakers tag on to spending bills, making them more expensive.

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSN2424045620100524?type=marketsNews

a new way around the line-item veto?

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, it looks like a way around the line-item veto. Or just another way for the executive and legislative branches to point fingers of blame at each other. It depends on the actual implementation, which of course, we won't know until they pass the bill.

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
It seems like the line item veto but it may be better because it forces congress to vote on those items again. I want to hear more about it. The devil is in the details, as they say.

Robert Toy

Registered
Reaction score
the major difference I see, is that it's a "all or nothing" package.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm, a quick wiki check tells me what a LIV is. Me...I think that it could be useful, but there are drawbacks. An extreme example would be...like...not vetoing the "gay people can marry" but vetoing the part that actually lets them marry....or some such tomfoolery.

Either way, more deets would be nice.

And if I end up deciding I don't like the idea of LIV for my Prezzy, I can always protest with signs like, "The Confederacy also owned slaves! Keep Line Item Vetoing out of our laws!"

Then I will have straw-men and hyperbolic statements too! Yay!

Vince524

Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
Hmm, a quick wiki check tells me what a LIV is. Me...I think that it could be useful, but there are drawbacks. An extreme example would be...like...not vetoing the "gay people can marry" but vetoing the part that actually lets them marry....or some such tomfoolery.

Either way, more deets would be nice.

And if I end up deciding I don't like the idea of LIV for my Prezzy, I can always protest with signs like, "The Confederacy also owned slaves! Keep Line Item Vetoing out of our laws!"

Then I will have straw-men and hyperbolic statements too! Yay!

The supreme court ruled that line item veto's were agaisnt the constitution, because it then has the potential to change the law to something that was not voted on.

Imagine a law that was passed only becasue there were exceptions written in, and then the President simply voted them out.

This seems on the surface to be different, because it sends the pieces back to be voted on again. I don't know if it will pass the constitional muster. My first question would be why not just send an amendment back. Like i said we need more details.

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
"Excellent— the more impediments to legislation the better."

--Professor Bernardo de la Paz
(Robert A. Heinlein The Moon is a Harsh Mistress)

Gretad08

Registered
Reaction score
We already have the tools we need to cut unecessary spending...Common sense, reason, and your own two eyes. Sadly, somebody forgot to order these for the D.C. supply list and instead ordered an abundance of greed, hyperbole, and snake oil.

ETA: Just a disclaimer, I don't really believe that everyone in Washington is a greedy little twit...didn't mean to come off that way. However, it would help if the lawmakers and spenders of the cash would use some of the sense God gave a goat when making decisions.

Last edited:

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
"Excellent— the more impediments to legislation the better."

--Professor Bernardo de la Paz
(Robert A. Heinlein The Moon is a Harsh Mistress)
Standing ovation! :)

In this case, though, context is critical. Allow me.
I note one proposal to make this Congress a two-house body. Excellent— the more impediments to legislation the better. But, instead of following tradition, I suggest one house of legislators, another whose single duty is to repeal laws. Let the legislators pass laws only with a two-thirds majority... while the repealers are able to cancel any law through a mere one-third minority. Preposterous? Think about it. If a bill is so poor that it cannot command two-thirds of your consents, is it not likely that it would make a poor law? And if a law is disliked by as many as one-third is it not likely that you would be better off without it?

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, that works great until the Anti-Genocide party loses to the Pro-Genocide party in the Anti-Leg House and the Pro-Genocide party stats vetoing the "don't shoot railguns at Earth" bills and then everyone dies...

Gretad08

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, that works great until the Anti-Genocide party loses to the Pro-Genocide party in the Anti-Leg House and the Pro-Genocide party stats vetoing the "don't shoot railguns at Earth" bills and then everyone dies...

Now THAT is one helluva an imagination. Geez, to spend just one day in your brain... :)

Robert Toy

Registered
Reaction score
The issue I have with the package concept is that any administration (now or in the future), can load a package of valid “spending cuts” with let’s say cuts in military spending, education spending, etc. knowing that the opposing party will reject…hence the other guys would be branded as supporting pork spending.

Vince524

Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
ETA: Just a disclaimer, I don't really believe that everyone in Washington is a greedy little twit...didn't mean to come off that way.

Of course they aren't all little twits. Some are bigger than others.

[/QUOTE]However, it would help if the lawmakers and spenders of the cash would use some of the sense God gave a goat when making decisions.[/QUOTE]

I wonder if some of the twits in question would consider this as violating seperation of church and state?

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know if it will pass the constitional muster.

I don't see why it wouldn't. There are other things that have been handled this way. Fast-tracking trade agreements, for example.

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
If there were limitations, it might work. If it's a free for all of an exploitable nature, I'm not sure it will fly.

Say, the President is only allowed to include his top 5 or 10 items to cut from the budget. It should be the things he really wants, instead of a political trapping mechanism. "Look at the GOP, they refuse to cut funding for pedophiles!!1!wun!"

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
...Then I will have straw-men and hyperbolic statements too! Yay!
If you could keep these thoughts to yourself and act on them instead of just blurting them out, you could have a future in politics...

We already have the tools we need to cut unecessary spending...Common sense, reason, and your own two eyes.
I was going to say libertarianism, but whatever...

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Quit calling me names like that dirty L word you guys!
Well, quit saying things like "common sense, reason, and your own two eyes are more capable than a monolithic political machine," and you won't have to worry about it.

Keep talking crazy talk like that and you'll get lined up against the wall like the rest of us.

;)

Status
Not open for further replies.