Activist responds to AAP policy on female genital mutilation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
So, what are our thoughts? To me, that article was a waste of time.

I feel like the author is coasting on her credentials (if one can call being a victim of FGM a 'credential') - she's criticizing the current situation, but not offering any way to fix it. American pediatricians "need to eliminate this risk for little girls"? Okay, I'm not sure why it's the pediatricians' job, but say that it is - how does she suggest they do this? She acknowledges that it's very difficult to know when girls have been mutilated...and that's the end of the article. Just when it was getting useful.

I may be a bit biased against this writer, because I read her memoir and was really turned off by her attitude, but, really - is she adding ANYTHING to the debate, here?

TerzaRima

Absinthe O'Malice
Registered
Reaction score
is she adding ANYTHING to the debate, here?

Well, she has been infibulated herself. I think her contention that families who value this tradition will not be satisfied with a ritual "nick" is worth attention. Consider the purpose of the procedure.

Okay, I'm not sure why it's the pediatricians' job

Why? Pediatricians have a responsibility to their patients. As far as her phrasing of "eliminating the risk"--that's hyperbolic, and that's an activist talking. I don't think of can ever eliminate the risk of any kind of abuse to a child.

Status
Not open for further replies.