AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Create My Books / Shop My Books (formerly UniBook) / Peleman Industries

Create My Books / Shop My Books (formerly UniBook) / Peleman Industries

I have been searching around the net about free publishing. I found this site that supposedly publishes books for free. I am wondering if this is a real deal or not.

Their logic seems to make sense but at the same time too good to be true. I am wondering if anyone here has had any experience with them before.

http://www.unibook.com/

PS: i hope this post is ok lol.

volitare nequeo AW Moderator veinglory's Avatar
    It could be clearer exactly what they are charging. For example Lulu charges a base price plus 20% of the royalty. Unibooks seems to charge a base price only, but what is it exactly? And where are the books soold other than the unibooks website (which I had never heard of until now)? I tired to use the price calculation macro they have up but it didn't work for me.

Okay, I got it to work--a 200page TOB has a base price of: paperback $ 12.27 hardback$ 14.55

That seems similar to Lulu and Createspace.
    Last edited by veinglory; 05-19-2010 at 12:29 AM.
    Emily Veinglory

WELCOME!

Well, it's a self-publisher so you're probably going to pay SOMETHING. Probably in marketing or copyright or ISBN. Somewhere. You'd do better looking into agents or commercial publishers. Because all LEGIT publishers NEVER charge their authors. Small or Large.

Yog's Law: Money flows TO the author.

Go and check out the other threads around here and see the other places you can publish with that won't charge you, and that will market your books, put your books in bookstores, etc.

Good luck!
    ~AP
    Last edited by agentpaper; 05-19-2010 at 12:27 AM. Reason: adding more
    ~AP

All that we see or seem, is but a dream within a dream-Edgar Allen Poe

RENEGADE ~ November 13, 2012 from Tor Teen (Macmillan)

Revelations ~ November 5, 2013 from Tor Teen (Macmillan)

Professor of applied misanthropy Drachen Jager's Avatar
    It looks like a great place to publish if you don't want anybody to read your book!

Their headline author Ademola Adejumo has no books published by unibook on amazon, he has a few by other publishers that don't have a sales rank so, while they're FOR sale, it means Amazon doesn't actually have any sales on them yet.

I'd say don't waste your time.

volitare nequeo AW Moderator veinglory's Avatar
    My reading of the website suggests Unibooks sells only through their own website? But indeed some of their books are on Amazon at the same listprice--if they can do that and maintain the author's royalty share than would be interesting....
    Last edited by veinglory; 05-19-2010 at 12:33 AM.
    Emily Veinglory

I don't know what they charge authors to buy their own books, but their bookstore prices are comparable to PA: $14 for a 120-page trade paperback is no bargain. So, if you went this way, be prepared for the book pricing to negatively impact sales.

Looks like they may also be aiming at the keep-my-out-of-print-book-available-for-sale-to-keep-it-out-of-Google-Books demographic.
    Why doesn't George R. R. Martin use Twitter? He already killed off all 140 characters.

practical experience, FTW MickRooney's Avatar
    I reviewed Unibooks last year here.

Nothing much has changed since last August. Lulu, Createspace, and even Blurb, all offer a far better service. FWIW

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Here's the parent company, Peleman Industries: http://www.peleman.com/
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Thanks for the information ^_^. Very much appreciated. I am usually very skeptical. the worst thing that can happen to an author is have their idea stolen. This is why one must be carefull.
    "Take a leap of faith, You will find no matter what result, it is better than to ask yourself; What if?"

There are many worse things that can happen than having an idea stolen. An idea is only as good as the writing that expands it. There are anthologies where every author used the same idea, and yet the stories in the collection are spectacularly varied. Worse would be to give your work to a vanity press that will more or less guarantee it will die in obscurity (while there are some self-publishing successes, there are virtually no vanity press successes). Worse would be to give your work to a scam or incompetent agent, who will shine you on year after year with no results, and often to your great monetary cost. Worse would be to have a great idea and never actually shop the manuscript because one is too worried someone will steal the idea. The absolute worst would be to have a great idea but discover after much work that one simply doesn't have the writing chops to pull it off--that would be beyond tragic.
    Why doesn't George R. R. Martin use Twitter? He already killed off all 140 characters.

Quote Originally Posted by DreamWeaver View Post
    There are many worse things that can happen than having an idea stolen. An idea is only as good as the writing that expands it. There are anthologies where every author used the same idea, and yet the stories in the collection are spectacularly varied. Worse would be to give your work to a vanity press that will more or less guarantee it will die in obscurity (while there are some self-publishing successes, there are virtually no vanity press successes). Worse would be to give your work to a scam or incompetent agent, who will shine you on year after year with no results, and often to your great monetary cost. Worse would be to have a great idea and never actually shop the manuscript because one is too worried someone will steal the idea. The absolute worst would be to have a great idea but discover after much work that one simply doesn't have the writing chops to pull it off--that would be beyond tragic.
    I bolded the part that i right now do actually fear. There is a novel i have been working on. It would be a 3 book series (i have enough notes to have it, i just need to piece them together and improve on the narrative aspect of the story and sentence structure /grammar.)

However, it seems that i am struggling alot with words and i get the ocational writers block. I once read that a good writer would write whatever comes to mind without stopping. The problem i have is that i am conscious on the fact that im still struggling with words do to me being Spanish and having English as a secondary language. It is a very very frustrating thing. I do get discouraged alot. But i know nothing is impossible if you put your mind to it.

I know i have a whole lot of work. Hopefully these forums will help me expand myself.
    "Take a leap of faith, You will find no matter what result, it is better than to ask yourself; What if?"

I didn't mention in my list of worse things, that of course one can improve one's writing chops by study, work, and lots of practice. Sounds like you have a great attitude, so don't despair! Have you checked out the "Learn Writing with Uncle Jim" threads?

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/...ead.php?t=6710

Highly recommended!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DreamWeaver View Post
    I didn't mention in my list of worse things, that of course one can improve one's writing chops by study, work, and lots of practice. Sounds like you have a great attitude, so don't despair! Have you checked out the "Learn Writing with Uncle Jim" threads?

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/...ead.php?t=6710

Highly recommended!
    Seconded

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Name changed to ShopMyBook in early '12. http://www.shopmybook.com/en/home

ETA: Is now Shop My Books (https://www.shopmybooks.com/BE/en), and is again offering self-pub services through Create My Books (https://www.createmybooks.com/BE/en)
    Last edited by CaoPaux; 05-25-2016 at 12:23 AM. Reason: updating w/o bumping
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017: