Attempted Murderer Denied Parole For Not Attending AA Classes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
AA doesn't say your higher power has to be mystical or supernatural.

But you know, if you did want to join AA, you could definitely use human ingenuity, human inventiveness, human kindness or human creativity as your higher power:)

Higher powers are mystic and supernatural. At least in the manner I've seen them applied by most people I know.

Millicent M'Lady

Exploring the infinite abyss
Registered
Reaction score
And that is what I, at least, object to: that participants in the program must profess honest belief in some higher power, whether they believe in one or not. It's religious and therefore incompatible with nonreligious folks. What Zoombie said about dignity gets right to the core of it.

This bothers me with AA along with telling people that they have no power over their addiction and must surrender to a higher power. That's a load of BS. Everyone has power over their actions and to deny that denies responsibility.

trocadero

Registered
Reaction score
Website
carolynwoulfe.livejournal.com
Um, actually I just looked up the definition of 'higher power' at the AA website. In their pdf at http://www.aa.org/lang/en/catalog.cfm?origpage=198&product=4 they say you have to believe in a power 'higher than yourself'. On another page they say "this is purely a matter of interpretation." I would argue that this is not mystical or supernatural at all.

BUT later in the brochure when it actually sets out the steps, three of the steps contain the word, "God" although in Step three it says, "as we understand him". So I guess that is rather religious! The thing is, everyone I know who's worked through the steps, sticks with the 'higher power' language which is very flexible and NOT limited to mystical or supernatural.

But the steps do use the word "God".

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Well, remember, our -or at least MY- consternation is not only the supernatural and mystical: Its also the kowtowing to it, giving yourself over to it, and all that stuff.

Why is it so hard to see how this rubs me the wrong way?

Prolly for the same reason why tis hard for me to see your point of view, now that I think about it.

trocadero

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I guess my bias is that my father was an alcoholic for about twenty years and then joined AA and did a complete turn-about. Honestly - I don't know if I could complete the steps myself, but I do see the good in the program. Not everyone might complete the steps and stay on the wagon, whether it be an alcohol, or gambling, or narcotics 12-step program, but it absolutely does help some people, no matter how they envisage their higher power. Addiction is by nature all-consuming. I wonder how many people can beat addictions without some kind of external help, whether it be medication - which is the same as a higher power, do you think? Or a third party intervening somehow. It's an interesting, complex problem.

I do see that it's a weird idea to submit to something else, Zoombie.

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
It's nice that it helps some addicts. If people want to try the program, that's cool with me.

Forcing it on convicts as a condition for parole, in violation of the constitution? Not so cool.

trocadero

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I must be naive, but I still don't get how the system operates in such a way that you can stay addicted to anything at all while in prison. I'd assume it would be cold turkey, but obviously not.

Fran

Slate grey mole person
Registered
Reaction score
Their success rate is ten percent.

I wonder how much of that is due to people being ordered by courts into drug or alcohol treatment who don't actually want to stop doing drugs or drinking, because with the best will in the world, if the individual has no motivation or desire to stop, the programme isn't going to work. I'm not saying it shouldn't be a sentencing option, or a requirement for probation, I'm just wondering how much good it does, although this of course won't account for the full 90% it doesn't work for.

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
Do we know that this person in question offered to go to a different alcohol abuse program? If his objection was strictly to AA, then I think he has a case. But if he just wanted no program at all, then he should be denied parole and have to serve out his full term.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
The Alcoholics Anonymous Preamble

Copyright © The A.A. Grapevine, Inc.

Alcoholics Anonymous is a fellowship of men and women who share their experience, strength and hope with each other that they may solve their common problem and help others to recover from alcoholism.

The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking. There are no dues or fees for A.A. membership; we are self-supporting through our own contributions. A.A. is not allied with any sect, denomination, politics, organization or institution; does not wish to engage in any controversy; neither endorses nor opposes any causes. Our primary purpose is to stay sober and help other alcoholics to achieve sobriety.

Has this changed? If not, then it goes against AA's primary purpose and craps on the only requirement that they ask of you.

Reaction score
Isn't one of the twelve steps admitting you are 'powerless in the face of my addiction'?

Well, uh...I object to any program that forces me to admit to powerlessness.

Clearly, if I were an alcoholic I'd be under the influence...through my own choice. Not through powerlessness.

Also, there's no way I'd sign up for anything that taught me I was permanently an addict. No one is permanently anything if they choose to change.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That's where you're mistaken; no one tries to convert you, or debase you.
The program is not dressed up as anything other than a fellowship of people who admit their addictions got the better of them, and gather together to lend support and strength to each other in fighting their addictions.
They can invoke God, or Batman, or the Flying Spaghetti Monster--if it helps them stay sober, then it is A Good Thing.

ETA: You don't have to believe in God to benefit from the program, but you do have to believe that your life would be better without drink/drugs.

You can invoke Batman in A.A? That's kinda cool. Now I wish I was still addicted to stuff.

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
Then don't ever take a drink or use any drugs, and you won't have to be offended by acknowledging a power greater than yourself.
Which removes all responsibility for the acts. I agree that AA swaps one addiction for the next. Call that "higher power" whatever you want, the organization still allows people to claim no responsibility for their actions, and does not empower them to be greater than the addiction.

They are told that they're powerless in the face of their addiction, that the drugs or alcohol will always have hold over them and the only way to overcome it is to look to something greater than themselves, because they aren't strong enough to stay clean by themselves.

It takes power from people just as much as the alcohol does.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
MOD NOTE:

I agree that the thread title is, if nothing else, a bit inflammatory and misleading. I'm changing it to add the "AA" part. Y'all can debate whether or not it's a religious organization or not, etc, but that's not the impression one gets from the thread title. Hell, I thought they were trying to make him attend some kind of CCD!

Carry on, y'all.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
And you have a problem with convicted criminals being ordered to attend programs that address their abuse of alcohol and/or narcotics and their consequences?

Do you have a better idea how to deal with these people?

Maybe the use of the G-word is too harsh for their tender sensibilities.
There;s the tender sensibilities of the US Constitution, specifically the First Amendment.
The thread title is definitely misleading. I had to read your post several times to find the 'religion'. "Swapping booze for Jesus" is extremely offensive. I know AA. I know several atheists who have successfully used the program. I'm not saying that there aren't possibly better programs out there (I don't know - who am I to say?) but I do know that it's incorrect to label AA as a religious program. Higher Power is anything you want it to be - the best in yourself, the goodness of the world, whatever.

And yes, he is a jerk. The problem I see with court-required AA participation is that unless you're genuinely motivated, you can't really complete the steps. You have to be honest and thorough. If someone else made you go, you'd have to get past that.

Step 11: Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God as we understood Him, praying only for knowledge of His will for us and the power to carry that out.

So what's with all this praying? Does one pray to Nature, or to Batman?
Then don't ever take a drink or use any drugs, and you won't have to be offended by acknowledging a power greater than yourself.

Religion and spirituality make me suspicious and ornery, so I may be coming off a bit strong.

I'm fine with anyone who VOLUNTARILY chooses to go into AA. And while prisoners forfeit their freedoms as punishment for their crimes, its...kind of against my personal wiggywoo to force religion on them. It just smacks of brainwashing.

If they want to go to AA, fine. If they opt into a different program, fine. If they refuse to go into both, make em chose between going into a program (either one) or not get paroled.
Actually, the person's responsibility is to change his own behavior, whether using some group or not. It's arguable that the Government has no responsibility to even give a list of what groups are available.
My cat is often the higher power in our house. A new baby - no question. The weather is definitely a higher power. If chemicals have power over my brain than they're definitely a higher power.

Unless you are THE HIGHEST POWER then of course there are higher powers than you.

Absolute goodness is a higher power than I am. Infinity is a higher power. The bank who has my mortgage is a higher power. Hope is a higher power. When I think about it, I'm quite down the lower end of many continua of power. I find it really odd to associate the idea with religion.

Of course it's your right to think that, but in my opinion, such a connotation is very limited, outdated and narrow.
Hey, I'm just quoting what the steps say, to pray to God-with-a-big-G.
AA doesn't say your higher power has to be mystical or supernatural.
PRAYING to God isn't calling on the mystical or supernatural?
Um, actually I just looked up the definition of 'higher power' at the AA website. In their pdf at http://www.aa.org/lang/en/catalog.cfm?origpage=198&product=4 they say you have to believe in a power 'higher than yourself'. On another page they say "this is purely a matter of interpretation." I would argue that this is not mystical or supernatural at all.

BUT later in the brochure when it actually sets out the steps, three of the steps contain the word, "God" although in Step three it says, "as we understand him". So I guess that is rather religious! The thing is, everyone I know who's worked through the steps, sticks with the 'higher power' language which is very flexible and NOT limited to mystical or supernatural.

But the steps do use the word "God".
They tell newcomers at meetings that "anything" can be one's higher power. The classic absurd example is a doorknob. After some time in the program one is expected to have a full-fledged Spiritual Higher Power.

I should look up the quotes from the 12&12 on this. In the third step it says one can use the AA gorup as a higher power (in AA GOD is often deacronymized as Group Of Drunks), but circa step 11 it says that's not enough, one has to eventually have a spiritual Higher Power. It's bait-and-switch.
Has this changed? If not, then it goes against AA's primary purpose and craps on the only requirement that they ask of you.
But AA has a lot of "suggestions" about things such as "getting on your knees" (even if you're Jewish)...

If AA wants to be truly independent and stop being an agent of the Government, they could stop signing court-ordered attendance slips. But most members are there because so many others, including doctors, treatment center counselors and judges (the ones who have the REAL Power to make people go) told them to go to AA.

DavidZahir

Malkavian Primogen
Registered
Reaction score
Website
undeadwhispers.yuku.com
I am an extremely firm believer in the separation of Church and State, but I'm with the parole board here. I've never been in AA or NA but have known plenty who were, as well as knowing addicts (or one kind or another) who were not. The surrendering to a "higher power" as I understand it does not refer to anything specific but is up to the individual, and can be the universe with its natural laws. Or Santa Claus. Or an image of a personal hero in one's own mind.

But there's also a criticism implied here that the emotional/psychological health of a human being cannot help but be damaged by belief in a religion or something spiritual. This is nonsense.

More importantly, regarding this issue, I seriously question whether suggesting someone who feels they honestly need help with their addiction to do alone can be a good idea. Human willpower is not enough, often-times.

Even more importantly, I get the impression the Parole Board needs some kind of evidence this offender has made an effort to deal with his problem. Remember that he has no "right" to parole. That is a gift given in return for improvement, at the discretion of the penal system. And they clearly cannot force him to attend AA. One wonders how the parole board would have considered testimony from a therapist specializing in addiction with whom the prisoner had undergone treatment? If they rejected that in favor of AA, this might be a viable case. However, their job is not to rubber-stamp paroles but to judge whether a prisoner is a good candidate for same. When drug abuse is part of that prisoner's situation, they are right to demand proof he's addressed this problem.

IMHO.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm. Read the article. Nowhere did it say he was denied parole for not attending AA.

His counselors have recommended various counseling programs for him. He hasn't gone to anything. The board also heard about his violent past. It sounds like that was a major factor in their determination.

Dowdle had been told numerous times by counselors, commissioners and psychiatrists that he needed to attend Alcoholics Anonymous classes to address alcohol issues and take domestic violence and anger management classes to address his domestic violence problems. However, he has not participated in the programs he has been told to participate in.

The parole commissioners agreed with Hinchcliff that it was clear Dowdle still presents a substantial risk of danger to women if he were released and he is unlikely to participate in the counseling he needs to get paroled.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
That's where you're mistaken; no one tries to convert you, or debase you.
That's very arguable. One thing AA borrows from fundemantalist Christianity is the idea that "God is good, we are bad." AA has changed the labels, instead of sin there's sickness or disease, and instead of asking for salvation it's "turning your will over" but it's basically the same thing. Thank one's higher power for mercy and Grace (an unmerited gift, "I don't deserve sobriety, but God loves me so much He gave it to me anyway), rather than praying for justice ("If I got what I deserved, I'd be dead").

I knew many more suicides in AA than when I was out drinking in bars and such - actually I saw more in AA than the whole rest of my life.

Co-founder Bill Wilson called AA an "ego deflation program." Of course if your ego has already been deflated, it's an ego destruction program.
The program is not dressed up as anything other than a fellowship of people who admit their addictions got the better of them, and gather together to lend support and strength to each other in fighting their addictions.
I'm remembering the line in that Youtube "mind control made easy" thing, "No, we're not trying to convert you, we're just sharing some information with you."

On the outside it may sound like some generic "self help" group, but it's very different from the public's view.
They can invoke God, or Batman, or the Flying Spaghetti Monster--if it helps them stay sober, then it is A Good Thing.

ETA: You don't have to believe in God to benefit from the program, but you do have to believe that your life would be better without drink/drugs.
You can believe that without having to go to any meeting or "class."

But whether you go to prison or stay in isn't determined by belief, it's determined by behavior.

AMCrenshaw

Registered
Reaction score
Website
dfnovellas.wordpress.com
12 step programs are clearly religious in nature and therefore attendance shouldn't count as a condition for parole.

However, I'm wondering if the attempted murderer had previously agreed to go to AA (if it was some part of his sentencing), and then didn't. If so it's probably seen as a lapse in the guy's motivation/discipline.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
AA is not a treatment program, has no doctors, psychiatrists, or counselors. They're also one of the biggest tax cheats in the history of this country. They're not a charity, so I don't know how they get away with making billions of dollars and not kicking the government a dime.

If the parole board wants someone to rehab, then send them to a rehab.

Last edited:

MarkEsq

Clever title pending.
Registered
Reaction score
In the wilds of Texas. Actually, the liberal oasi
Hmm. Read the article. Nowhere did it say he was denied parole for not attending AA.

His counselors have recommended various counseling programs for him. He hasn't gone to anything. The board also heard about his violent past. It sounds like that was a major factor in their determination.

I think this is the nub, right here, well said ma'am.

He wasn't forced or required to go to AA. Counseling programs including AA were recommended and he chose to ignore all of them. The parole board's view is probably, "Until this dude gets fixed, he ain't getting out." And so when he refuses the various treatments, including AA, he gets to stay in.

As someone else said, parole is discretionary, he's not entitled to release before the end of his sentence. All he's entitled to is consideration, and a reasoned decision based on the parole board's view of his rehab and the likely danger he poses to society. If he takes a "screw you" attitude, I see no problem with them doing the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.