• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Quick Question (2 actually) (double-space email doc? synopsis length?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ye Olde Falconer

Apprentice
Registered
Reaction score
Website
father-god.blogspot.com
So I've been asked for a full manuscript!!! Yay! But...
She wants it via email, no problem...word doc, 12 point, etc. But do I send it double-spaced as i would a hard copy? Or does it matter in electric format?

Also, she wants a synopsis but gave no indication as to length. What would be a good "default" length for a synopsis?

Thanks!
Ye Old Falconer

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I can't answer the second question - though I have wondered about that myself - but in regards to double-spacing, the answer is "Yes."

Xvee

I Need Monkeys
Registered
Reaction score
From all the info I've read, synopsis tend to be 3-5 pages long, with a very few sources suggesting it can be up to 8.

All the short story submissions I come across ask for single space, not sure about novel.

Danthia

But do I send it double-spaced as i would a hard copy? Or does it matter in electric format?
Yes. You're not pasting a full into the email, you're sending a file, so format it same as if you'd send it in hard copy.

Also, she wants a synopsis but gave no indication as to length. What would be a good "default" length for a synopsis?
You can't go wrong with a one-pager synopsis, but as long as you keep it under three pages you should be good. Single space for synopses is fine, unless you go over three pages, then do double. (longer reads need double space otherwise it's hard to read)

Ye Olde Falconer

Apprentice
Registered
Reaction score
Website
father-god.blogspot.com
Thanks for all the input. At this point I have a rough 3-page synopsis that I will edit down to 2.

Lydia- I just put 2 and 2 together and realized I'm one of your blog followers. I have enjoyed it (when I have time to blog visit!) Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.