• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Spirit House Literary Agency (Joelle Meehan)

MoonStone

in touch
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't been able to find anything on this agency, or books published? Anyone know?

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Well they say on the first page they are not open to subs. I'd move on.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
"Spirit House is a literary agency focused on spiritual fiction, non-fiction, and children's books. We have worked with a number of spiritual teachers and authors as both agents and editors."

MoonStone

in touch
Registered
Reaction score
Thank-you all for the info.

"spiritual teachers and authors as both agents and editors." What does this imply that some do not like?

When they are looking for submissions are they reputable or would you all back away with caution? hehe.

you guy and gals are awesome btw!!

M.R.J. Le Blanc

aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan
Registered
Reaction score
Agents being anything other than agents at the same time has a tendancy to be a conflict of interest. It often means that the agent can't support themselves as an agent and uses other means (usually in some sort of paid services). That's not the kind of agent you want. If this agency is taking payment for editing, that's a red flag. If they're referring to editors as in that they help brush up their clients' work for submission, which I don't believe is too uncommon amongst legit agents, then it's just a confusing thing to state on their website.

Either way, it would be nice to have some clarification from the agency itself.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think they're selling editing services; rather, you can hire them to coordinate a conference or retreat; or you can hire their conference centre venue.

However, the bio for the two literary agents states only that they have authored various books. There is nothing about their client list or sales to publishers, which suggests that they have no experience or track record as literary agents. They look like they know what they're doing in terms of spiritual retreats and conventions, but I doubt they've got the necessary links in the publishing industry to pitch and sell books to editors.