Merchant's illegitimate son - how does he prove his worth?

autumnleaf

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
The year is 1675, the place is Ireland, and my MC is the 20-year-old illegitimate son of a merchant. His father has acknowledged him and he's the only living male heir (all the legitimate children, except one girl, died in childhood). The family's position is somewhat shaky due to the political and religious tensions of the time.

The dad wants to see if the son has what it takes to run the business. But dad can't give son too much responsibility before he knows he can trust him. So, what job does the son get to test his mettle? Maybe something that seems a bit trivial, and causes the young man to chafe a bit?

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Go as clerk to another merchant (friend of father) on a trip to buy stock

Tika

Old kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thistlewoodpubllishing.com
Could the merchant possibly have a herd of sheep? Make the boy tend the sheep herd. Only the border collies for companionship. He'd be isolated, lonely, and bored! It would prove his worth.

What kind of merchant is the father? Maybe that could help us come up with ideas.

night-flyer

roasting cows
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe an errand boy. Delivering orders/picking up things for the shop.

I don't know what kind of merchant he is, but I'm sure there are orders to be filled and delivered.

Eddyz Aquila

Noob Writers United
Registered
Reaction score
I second the idea of an errand boy, it will definitely help him get his father's trust. Make sure later on he gets on some more important tasks so he can surely be tested :)

Monlette

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
You could send him out to buy something. He can tell him he's expecting a certain amount of money as change, and the actual amount could be much greater. Then dad can see if he gets back the correct amount of change instead of the amount he told him he was expecting.

Or he can send his son out with too little money and see if he can bargain the vendors down or find other creative ways to make do.

Or he can send him out to go shopping in a place with a lot of "distractions" and see if he doesn't blow through the money before he finishes his errands.