Waiting for Notes

popmuze

Last of a Dying Breed
Registered
Reaction score
A few months ago I got THE letter--from an agent saying she LOVED my book and wanted to sign me up yesterday, if not sooner.

So, as usual, I went with this agent, who said she was going to send me some detailed notes on how to make the book even greater...in a couple of months.
Now it's a month past even that deadline and no notes in sight.

I'm thinking: could I have asked to see the notes BEFORE I signed?

I'm also thinking: how much longer do I have to wait for these notes before I totally forget what the book was about in the first place?

What's the protocol now--an angry email, a subtle email (tried one already), an angry phone call, a whining phone call. Or just sit and wait, meanwhile thinking, have I gone with the wrong agent AGAIN????

linfred4

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, popmuze

I have not been publisihed as of yet, so way to go. But i would give them a call but make it a somewhat nice. Just say I was wondering if you have sent the notes for the story you are interested in, and if she said she isn't done with the notes just say if you don't mind when you send them could you call me to let me know they are on their way!
If when you do call and she doesn't seem like she knows anything well ask to speak to someone higher, this way you have all your info from someone higher.
It's just my thought i would give you.

cate townsend

Registered
Reaction score
What's the protocol now--an angry email, a subtle email (tried one already), an angry phone call, a whining phone call. Or just sit and wait, meanwhile thinking, have I gone with the wrong agent AGAIN????

A polite phone call. I'm assuming she didn't answer your email. How long has it been?

Miss Plum

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
popmuze,

I haven't been published either, but surely there's some alternative to angry, whining, and subtle? How about a straightforward, businesslike request?

Meanwhile, I hope one of the Experienced Ones answers this question:
could I have asked to see the notes BEFORE I signed?
That's a good question.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, you should have waited to see the notes before you signed. Now what do you do if you hate the agent's suggestions? The odds of an agent knowing how to make a novel great are incredibly slim.

agentpaper

One of many
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not published yet either, but I have an incredibly awesome agent and have no doubt it will happen sooner rather than later. The same day I accepted her offer (before I signed the agency agreement) she sent me notes. She did discuss with me, before I accepted, what changes she thought would make it better. I went on sub. about a month after I signed on with her.

HOWEVER, that being said, I have another friend who signed with an agent about the same time I signed with mine and JUST got the revision notes. So, obviously, it depends on the agent. IMO, I think you should email again asking asking her if she'd gotten to your notes yet and if not when she expects to.

You have a partnership with her and she should be telling you where things stand. I touch base with my agent at least once a week, most of the time it's just a "hi, how are you?" email, but she ALWAYS answers. I think you deserve at least some answers.

If she still doesn't answer, I would call her and talk to her about what you expect from her and vice versa. She may very well be very busy, but you still deserve answers to your email.

As far as what JamesRitchie said, I don't agree with it. My agent's suggestions were SPOT ON. But, they were just that. Suggestions. I didn't have to take them if I didn't want to.

Good luck with your agent. I hope it works the way you want it to.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
A polite phone call. I'm assuming she didn't answer your email. How long has it been?

This. You can't lose by being polite. This is a business relationship; make the phone call a business transaction. Stuff happens. Emails get eaten. (Thank you, Time Warner. Ick.) Give the agent this chance. We all stress. I stressed till I learned my agent's patterns of communication.

Yes, you should have waited to see the notes before you signed. Now what do you do if you hate the agent's suggestions? The odds of an agent knowing how to make a novel great are incredibly slim.

I disagree. My agent made small overall suggestions to my book. I implemented almost all of them. I wrote a good book (it sold; that qualifies :)), and the proof that he improved it is my editor's suggestions were even more minor.

popmuze

Last of a Dying Breed
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not upset about the agent making notes. I'd love to see them. But in retrospect I agree that I should have asked to see them before I signed. Not only would I have been able to see what the suggestions were, but I would also have saved myself almost three months (and counting) of waiting. And, by the way, my emails are always answered. The last one said, I'm getting to the notes (without being any more specific).

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
All right then. The agent's communicating. This is good. You're not happy with the communication. Not good.

Did you research the agent's sales track record beforeyou signed? Did you talk to the agent's other clients? Some agents simply aren't communicative.

If it's been about 3 weeks since the last email, then try writing an email saying that you were hoping for more communication; that you're a talkative type; that you're eager to start the notes and plunge into the new stress of being on sub because you miss the familiar stress of agent-searching (humor usually works in these situations).

IOW, in your own voice, show readiness and eagerness: that you'll be terrific to work with because you're on the ball.

Yeah, I've been training new employees for over a year. Does it show? :rolleyes:

Danthia

You don't need to see notes before signing but having a chat with the agent to see they types of things they're talking about is a good idea. My agent and I discussed the general vision she had for the story before I signed, and I agreed with her suggestions on how to make it better. No details at that stage, just stuff like "change the ending, because the stakes don't escalate" (and no, she didn't phrase it like that, that's me paraphrasing). Notes came later. And she was dead on in her suggestions and the book is far better because of them.

Email your agent again and nudge them. Emails get lost, get missed, get set aside because there's a fire with another client. The agent knows they need to get to your notes, but they've been too busy and plan to get back to you. If you still hear nothing, call them and ask when you can expect them. I certainty wouldn't jump right to an antagonistic approach. Stuff happens. Agents have other clients, too.