mixing Fantasy with History

Rachel Udin

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.racheludin.com
Being honest, I wouldn't touch an historical novel with fantasy elements with a ten foot pole no matter how accurate, compelling, or whatever the history might be. Fantasy is not history (and I feel the same about alternative history). I also look at it as - history is adult, serious business; fantasy is child, fanciful and imaginative. They don't go hand in hand in my mind. Puma

Disagree. Read Morgan Llewellyn. Also Wise Child by Monica Furlong.

In the first case the history is a legend with magic to begin with. (Think King Arthur), thus you need historical elements to make the fantasy work.

In the second case (Though young adult), it showcased the witch trials in England along with women's crafts and knowledge. If you took out the history the story falls apart, take out the magic and the characters have no reason is exist.

In my case I'm writing a Historical Fiction where the History reads like a fantasy to begin with and people in that country sometimes think it's 100% true. (Someone lived for 158 years. That a pagoda on a boat could calm the sea.) Also remember that some events in the Bible people will argue as true while others will not.

So there are real legends that read fantasy and by their very nature legends mix fiction with truth. So to keep true to the legend you need to do the same.

BTW, History isn't 100% fact, it's usually written by those who are the most literate. Otherwise people wouldn't believe the myth of the Cherry Tree so readily or that Marie Antoinette say, "Let them eat cake." and argue with you about it.

areteus

Registered
Reaction score
There is a lot in history that could be magic if interpreted slightly differently. There were beliefs and superstitions all over the place which were considered to be true by the majority. It therefore does not take much to slightly tweak things to make a setting which is largely historic but with a slight touch of magic.