Another Cinco De Mayo highschool incident

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
A Houstan area school decided to promentaly hang a Mexican flag in a hallway and flew it higher than their US and Texan flag. One student, 15-year-old Nicholas Morris, took offense to this and removed the flag; resulting in a three day suspension.

Here's a local article on it:
http://www.click2houston.com/news/23491132/detail.html

And an interview with his mother:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EO8MGmoVgGU&feature=popt00us0e

While I agree that throwing the flag away is wrong, it's rediculess that the schools near Mexico celebrate this when it's not even a national holiday in Mexico. I would wager that most of their administrators don't even know what the holiday means.

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
So he couldn't lower it until they were both at the same level or even lower than the U.S. flag. He had to throw it in the trash.

Yeah. Not racist or anything there.sarcasm

Pretty stupid of the school to display the flag higher than the U.S. flag. Looks like flamebaiting to me.

Last edited:

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
It was foolish, and inappropriate, of them to fly the Mexican Flag higher than the U.S. Flag. ETA: It is also a violation of US Federal law -- The U.S. Flag Code. (pdf)

It was even dumber to throw the flag away. A bit of communication might have helped.

Cinco De Mayo is a celebrated observance that has changed greatly from its origins. That doesn't make it inappropriate to celebrate.

*cough* Christmas *coughcough* Halloween.

But it does look like some points of education have slipped away in some schools.

Last edited:

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
So he couldn't lower it until they were both at the same level or even lower than the U.S. flag. He had to throw it in the trash.

Yeah. Not racist or anything there.sarcasm

Pretty stupid of the school to display the flag higher than the U.S. flag. Looks like flamebaiting to me.
I have nothing else to add.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
It was foolish, and inappropriate, of them to fly the Mexican Flag higher than the U.S. Flag. ETA: It is also a violation of US Federal law -- The U.S. Flag Code. (pdf)
That's not what seems to have occured. The Mexican flag was not flown above the U.S. Flag, it was by itself (actually, it wasn't being "flown" at all). The kid claims that elsewhere in the school there was a U.S. Flag that wasn't up as high.

Silliness on the kid's part.

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
That's not what seems to have occured. The Mexican flag was not flown above the U.S. Flag, it was by itself (actually, it wasn't being "flown" at all). The kid claims that elsewhere in the school there was a U.S. Flag that wasn't up as high.

Silliness on the kid's part.

Let's hope he never goes to Home Depot. I've seen american flag rugs there. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.