• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] Evatopia Entertainment (Margery Walshaw)

ILSinTexas

requiescat in pace
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
Since her submission form is for scripts only, I'm thinking novels are at best a second thought for this agency.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
I'll agree. Found a few bits like this: http://college.usc.edu/mpw/alumni/association.cfm

Director of Mentorship: Matches MPW students with MPW mentors; develops and implements scholarship strategies.
Margery Walshaw is creator of Evatopia, a literary management firm that specializes in film-rights representation for published novelists and screenwriters. She has recently sold a book series to Will Smith's Overbrook Productions and a chick-lit novel to Curious Pictures, producers of the Oscar-winning film Crash.

... but no mention of selling books to publishers.

batgirl

Writting broad
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bmlgordon.com
There's a discussion here from back in 2005, and another from 2006, nothing conclusive.

A mention from a 2008 Writer's Digest article:
"Evatopia, 400 S. Beverly Drive, Suite 214, Beverly Hills CA 90212. E-mail: [email protected]. evatopia.com. Prior to becoming a literary and script manager, Ms. Walshaw was a writer and publicist for the entertainment industry. Stats: Represents 15 clients. 85% of clients are new/unpublished writers. “We specialize in promoting and developing the careers of first-time writers and screenwriters. All of our staff members have strong writing and entertainment backgrounds, making us sympathetic to the needs of our clients.” Actively seeking: middle grade, YA and some nonfiction (mostly biographies). Specializes in: Though Evatopia previously focused solely on movie scripts (numerous genres), it has recently expanded to represent juvenile literary as well. How to Contact: Submit via online submission form. Accepts e-mail queries. Accepts simultaneous submissions. Responds in 2 weeks to queries; 3 weeks to manuscripts. Returns materials only with SASE. Terms: Agent receives 15% commission on domestic sales; 15% commission on foreign sales. Offers written contract."

Here's something a bit more solid, from 2008:

“We are now repped by Margery Walshaw of Evatopia Management, and Jessica’s independent success as a novelist continues to go strong. Her debut novel The Fidelity Files was released last year by St. Martin’s Press, and the book was recently optioned to Marina Grasic (executive producer of Crash) as a television series. Jessica is currently writing for Yahoo’s hilarious online TV recap show Prime Time in No Time.”
Michael Brody & Jessica Brody
Franktown, Colorado
2008 Silver Prize Winners
-Barbara

ILSinTexas

requiescat in pace
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, guys! Thanks for the help. I've been thinking about sending Margery a query for my MG fantasy. I'm hoping someone responds to this thread who has had worked with her.

Since Barbara mentioned she'll crit for rep points, I'll give all of you rep points.

Thanks again,

Irene

ILSinTexas

requiescat in pace
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I just filled out the form on their webpage. I'll keep you all updated. Under "logline" I said: This is an MG novel, not a screen script. When it asked for the synopsis, I submitted a query letter addressed to Margery, the first five pages of my novel, and a short synopsis.

It should be interesting...

gambit924

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Evatopia

Hello my fellows! So I am thinking of submitting my screenplay to Evatopia for representation. What is the general consensus? Are they a reputable agency? Does anyone else use them?

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Link: http://www.evatopia.com/

So... who are their clients? They have been around long enough (it seems) to have a track record. But I can't see them credited for a single completed movie or produced play (given they were exclusively scripts for most of that time).

Last edited:

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Can someone help me? I'm confused as to what this place is, is it an agency like the thread suggests? Or is it a publishing house? Some of the books listed on Amazon say it's from Evatopia Press.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Well I heard back from Margery. She gave me a wonderfully in depth critique on my ms. Sounds like she'd like me to revise provided I address some issues with the book.

I still don't understand this company. Is it a literary place or a publishing place? Like I mentioned before, some of the books are listed "Evatopia Press" like it's a publishing house.

Has anyone else dealt with Margery?

FluffBunny

Disapproving plot bun disapproves.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Third burrow on your left. Your other left.
I have not dealt with anyone from Evatopia, but they don't make it easy to figure out what they do, do they?

Checking on one of their titles, Zoey Rogue, Evatopia is listed as the publisher--specifically, Evatopia Press is listed as the publisher. It looks like their emphasis is on ebooks, although the book above is also available in paperback with a $9.36 price-tag (POD?).

P&E lists them as, "A firm specializing in first-time screenwriters." I was unable to locate Ms. Walshaw or Evatopia listed as agents on QueryTracker or AAR, nor could I find Evatopia listed as a publisher on QueryTracker.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Fluff. Yeah, I checked out some of their titles too and some seem to be doing very well.

I couldn't find it on the P&E. Can you tell me how I can find it there?

FluffBunny

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I had to do a screen search ("find") on the Agents-E page to find it. It was misfiled and follows Everything you wanted to know about literary agents... in the list.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Huh? It's between Evan Marshall and Eve White.

FluffBunny

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Last edited:

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
I see it now. It's not alphabetized right.

I asked her some questions about her company. I'm eager to see what she says.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
That's really weird. Not when I pull it up. It comes up:
Eve White
Evelyn M. Fazio
Evelyn Singer Agency
Everyone Who's Anyone
Everything you wanted to know about literary agents...
Evatopia Literary Management

Here's a screenshot - http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll81/Moorit/fdbec4f3-ec99-43f8-95dc-53959e6908dc.jpg

ETA: I know I'm still merrily virus-ing, but please tell me I haven't had that much cold medication... ;)
Ah, sorry, I didn't catch you were searching P&E and not here. Carry on. :cool: