• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Bards and Sages Publishing

jruby

Procrastinator Extraordinaire!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorry if this has been posted elsewhere, but did an extensive search and couldn't find it: what do people think of Bards and Sages Quarterly? I've seen it mentioned off-hand around the forums, but I haven't been able to find any real reviews to the positive or negative. I'd love some input.

Saanen

Registered
Reaction score
I've had a story published by them. The editing process was good, they paid on time, and the quality of writing in the magazine is high.

EFCollins

World Class Rambler
Registered
Reaction score
Way out there in BFE, where no one can hear you sc
Website
efcollins.blogspot.com
I've heard a lot of good things about Bards & Sages. I've subbed to them once and got a rejection, but the rejection they sent was hard not to get excited about. The editor was very encouraging and enjoyed my story very much and even suggested a market base for me to target that would fit the story better. My friend and fellow horror hound, dgrintalis, has a story out with them and she seemed to be very satisfied with the mag. Hopefully, she'll chime in and let you know how her experience with them was.

dgrintalis

'Tis true, she is a monstergirl
Registered
Reaction score
Betwixt a nightmare and a veil of shadowy dark
I just had a story published in the April 2010 issue and have to say, they were lovely to work with. Like Saanen, I was paid on time and the quality of writing in the magazine is high. I'm not sure if they edit any stories before publication; they did not with mine, so I've no experience with that. The magazine itself is beautiful. I hope that information helps.

jruby

Procrastinator Extraordinaire!
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks so much everyone for your input! It helps a lot. :)

icenine

Registered
Reaction score
You can get free issue of the mag by joining their list. Well, last time I checked you could.

The quality of the fiction is remarkably high, as others here have said.

Southpaw

The squirrel apocalypse is coming!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I just had a story published in the April 2010 issue and have to say, they were lovely to work with. Like Saanen, I was paid on time and the quality of writing in the magazine is high. I'm not sure if they edit any stories before publication; they did not with mine, so I've no experience with that. The magazine itself is beautiful. I hope that information helps.

I had a story published in the current issue. About a month before it published, they sent a Galley Proof (via email). The editor had a comment or two in couple of stories to help readability and I think a missing word in one piece. We were asked to review our work and give it the a-okay before it went to a proofreader. And payment was on time. They were very professional.

Last edited:

OJCade

Registered
Reaction score
I've had a couple of stories published there (including my first ever). They don't pay a lot (really only token payment) but in both cases payment was prompt, with no fuss. Editing is sent as Southpaw says, you get a chance to review and approve/make changes.

Both my experiences with them, they behaved professionally. No problems at all.

Charke

Registered
Reaction score
I've worked for Bards and Sages many times and all of it has been a good experience. I highly recommend them.

- Mark Charke

Scythian

Registered
Reaction score
Me too. Nice magazine, timely payment, recognize my genius--what's not to like? :)

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Interesting magazine. Can anyone parse for me what "non-exclusive, perpetual rights" means? Does this mean they takes the rights to publish your story in a particular issue of their mag, but you still have the ability to publish it elsewhere?

mafiaking1936

Nihil debetur. Nihil debens.
Registered
Reaction score
Interesting magazine. Can anyone parse for me what "non-exclusive, perpetual rights" means? Does this mean they takes the rights to publish your story in a particular issue of their mag, but you still have the ability to publish it elsewhere?

I think so. I have three stories in two issues and an anthology. One was reprinted elsewhere and one is itself a reprint. The issues are out of print (even though it's POD with Createspace anyway) but the electronic versions are still available. I assume it will be the same with the anthology.

The only issue with Bards & Sages is to make really sure you proofread the galleys very closely, cause lots of typos can crop up. In the anthology I'm in, they misspelled another author's name right on the front cover. Inoticed it and notified the author, and they fixed it in some versions but not all.