The AW Amazon Store
Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Bards and Sages Publishing

Procrastinator Extraordinaire! jruby's Avatar

Bards and Sages Publishing

I'm sorry if this has been posted elsewhere, but did an extensive search and couldn't find it: what do people think of Bards and Sages Quarterly? I've seen it mentioned off-hand around the forums, but I haven't been able to find any real reviews to the positive or negative. I'd love some input.
    "I've waited my whole career to say this: The butler did it." - Lt. Provenza, The Closer

Retitled: "Fairy Magic"

I've had a story published by them. The editing process was good, they paid on time, and the quality of writing in the magazine is high.
    Visit my website!

Way out there in BFE, where no one can hear you screaming....
    I've heard a lot of good things about Bards & Sages. I've subbed to them once and got a rejection, but the rejection they sent was hard not to get excited about. The editor was very encouraging and enjoyed my story very much and even suggested a market base for me to target that would fit the story better. My friend and fellow horror hound, dgrintalis, has a story out with them and she seemed to be very satisfied with the mag. Hopefully, she'll chime in and let you know how her experience with them was.
    Ze name iz... Effie

The 2011 Horror Hounds Celebration and Contest is here!

Quote Originally Posted by sunandshadow View Post
    The problem's not the genre, the problem is that people are idiots.
    I finally got 700 monkeys! Now... all I need is 700 typewriters and a way to live for 700 years.

Blog!

Quote Originally Posted by EFCollins View Post
    WHO ATE MY SEVERED HANDS????
    Quote Originally Posted by Leukman View Post
    They're in the stew.

'Tis true, she is a monstergirl dgrintalis's Avatar
    Betwixt a nightmare and a veil of shadowy dark
    I just had a story published in the April 2010 issue and have to say, they were lovely to work with. Like Saanen, I was paid on time and the quality of writing in the magazine is high. I'm not sure if they edit any stories before publication; they did not with mine, so I've no experience with that. The magazine itself is beautiful. I hope that information helps.
    Blog Twitter

INK on Goodreads
    INK on Amazon

A tattoo can be a work of art…or a curse.

Out now in trade paperback and ebook from Samhain Horror.

Coming in Spring 2014: An as yet untitled collection of short fiction from Apex Publications.

Procrastinator Extraordinaire! jruby's Avatar
    Thanks so much everyone for your input! It helps a lot.
    "I've waited my whole career to say this: The butler did it." - Lt. Provenza, The Closer

Retitled: "Fairy Magic"

practical experience, FTW
    You can get free issue of the mag by joining their list. Well, last time I checked you could.

The quality of the fiction is remarkably high, as others here have said.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Lefties are always right. Southpaw's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dgrintalis View Post
    I just had a story published in the April 2010 issue and have to say, they were lovely to work with. Like Saanen, I was paid on time and the quality of writing in the magazine is high. I'm not sure if they edit any stories before publication; they did not with mine, so I've no experience with that. The magazine itself is beautiful. I hope that information helps.
    I had a story published in the current issue. About a month before it published, they sent a Galley Proof (via email). The editor had a comment or two in couple of stories to help readability and I think a missing word in one piece. We were asked to review our work and give it the a-okay before it went to a proofreader. And payment was on time. They were very professional.
    Last edited by Southpaw; 10-02-2015 at 03:04 AM. Reason: fixin' typos
    I write urban fantasy. I refused to believe it's an oversaturated market. (For the record, that's a werehermitcrab.)
    ▪▪ Website ▪▪ Twitter ▪▪

practical experience, FTW
    I've had a couple of stories published there (including my first ever). They don't pay a lot (really only token payment) but in both cases payment was prompt, with no fuss. Editing is sent as Southpaw says, you get a chance to review and approve/make changes.

Both my experiences with them, they behaved professionally. No problems at all.