Dow Drops 400+ points

Status
Not open for further replies.

Synonym

Registered
Reaction score
Get your world-wide economy here folks!

What? I thought that was what we all needed. You know, for equality or world peace or some other warm fuzzy stuff. This really sucks. Apparently it means we can all be flowing down the drain too. There's some 'equality', on a global scale.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Gee, I guess there is one advantage to being too broke to have any money to invest

Norman D Gutter

Engineer Sonneteer
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
davidatodd.com
It means investors thought the market had risen too high, too fast, and were waiting for some kind of bad news to confirm those thoughts.

adktd2bks

addicted to books
Registered
Reaction score
I KNEW I should have shorted the market yesterday.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
It means investors thought the market had risen too high, too fast, and were waiting for some kind of bad news to confirm those thoughts.

Or, alternately:

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Investing/Dispatch/default.aspx?feat=1751806&GT1=33002

Today's near-1,000 point selloff in the Dow Jones Industrial Average ($INDU) was reportedly caused by a "fat finger" mistake by a trader at Citigroup (C).

CNBC reported that numerous sources said that a trader entered a "b" instead of an "m" for million in a trade possibly involving Procter & Gamble (PG), a Dow component. The trader reportedly placed a sell order of $16 billion, instead of $16 million, worth of e-minis, futures contracts tied to equity indexes.

Citigroup said that it has "no evidence of an erroneous trade" but that it is investigating. P&G said that it was looking into the sudden drop in the price of its stock. P&G also said that it is working with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission about what caused the plunge in its stock price.

Damn that QWERTY keyboard, anyway.

caw

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Quick! Everybody go shopping!

Gregg

Life is good
Registered
Reaction score
Too late! ?
The shoppers bought when the Dow was down 990 points. Then they rode a 600 point upward move.

Robert Toy

FOB and Slayer of windmills
Registered
Reaction score
I'm certain the new financial reform bill will take care of that.

Romantic Heretic

uncoerced
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.romantic-heretic.com
Shrugs. Investors are herd animals. It's why so many of them get sheared so often. Trying to figure out what panicked them is a futile exercise.

Gretad08

Registered
Reaction score
Seriously, people need to stop paying attention to the Dow like it's important or means anything.

Except for those that might have been planning to cash out and retire tomorrow...to them it's probably important. Or young investors looking to jump in cheap (like moi).

Gregg

Life is good
Registered
Reaction score
Seriously, people need to stop paying attention to the Dow like it's important or means anything.

The psychological effect is enormous. That's why technical analysis is so popular. Fibonacci and the Golden Ratio is at the heart of some of it...fascinating stuff....

check it out:
There is a special ratio that can be used to describe the proportions of everything from nature's smallest building blocks, such as atoms, to the most advanced patterns in the universe, such as unimaginably large celestial bodies. Nature relies on this innate proportion to maintain balance, but the financial markets also seem to conform to this 'golden ratio'. Here we take a look at some technical analysis tools that have been developed to take advantage of it.

http://www.investopedia.com/articles/technical/04/033104.asp

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
Damn that QWERTY keyboard, anyway.
caw
That's one fat finger!

The more common error would have been nillions....but I think that might have only made Wall St turn plaid.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
That's one fat finger!

Nobody can yet put a finger on the major cause of the wild market drop, and there is some suspicion of market manipulation contributing to it. Anybody remember the artificially-induced price spike in silver back in the 1970s? This story could linger a while.

caw

Status
Not open for further replies.