I'm using "that' too much.

Word Jedi

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I find myself using the word "that" too much.
What does this mean, if anything?
Below is a sample from one of my pre-write brainstorming sessions.
Am I just getting punchy from writing for 7 hours today?

Father Sullivan has told him countless times that the HFD responsible will never be found, that they aren’t really human and that the essence of the beast that killed his father has moved on to another city, another country or even another plane of existence.

Paul

Banned
Reaction score
You have deep breath syndrome.

Explanation: When you're verbally telling a story, if your breath holds you can fit in a lot of 'thats'. But in writing you can and should pause. (i.e, new sentence.)

There are more complex arguments about 'that' usage, but to me it usually boils down to the 'breath' analogy for new writers.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
It just means you use "that" too often, and need to rewrite the sentences, if you want to eliminate a couple.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It means nothing, really, unless you're leaving them in on edit. The search function of your word processor should help you seek and destroy any extraneous "that"s, or any other repetitious words from your MS.

IOW, don't sweat it too much. :)

wornoutmumoftwo

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm terrible for that and was. When I've finished writing I use word to highlight them all and take out any of them that aren't necessary (which is most of them).

Arkie

a reader's ear and a writer's heart
Registered
Reaction score
In the sentence you demonstrated, you had only one "that" doing any work. Remember, too, you don't precede "that" with a comma. The comma normally indicates a natural break, so you might want to put in a full stop "period," drop the "that" and start a new sentence. As wornoutmumoftwo stated above, most "thats" are unnecessary.

PeterL

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
It isn't that you use "that" too much. You just think that you do.

ether

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kelley-york.com
Father Sullivan has told him countless times that the HFD responsible will never be found. that They aren’t really human and that the essence of the beast that killed his father has moved on to another city, another country or even another plane of existence.

...Yepp. ;) I do this, too. It was one of the biggest things I had to fix in my initial editing and have to really watch for in my writing now.

Word Jedi

Registered
Reaction score
It means nothing, really, unless you're leaving them in on edit. The search function of your word processor should help you seek and destroy any extraneous "that"s, or any other repetitious words from your MS.

IOW, don't sweat it too much. :)

To date, your avatar is the funniest I've ever seen.

PGK

They put those words in my head!
Registered
Reaction score
I agree, don't worry about it until the edit. "That" is one of the most commonly overused words in writing.

Have you ever read Stephen King's "Insomnia?" I swear he was trying to make a statement about his popularity with that book because I can't imagine anyone else getting away with such a vulgar overuse of "that."

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Aw, that sucks. I'm sure you're really concerned about that. But I'm sure that it's nothing to worry about. You need to stop thinking about that and that is how you will stop doing that. Do that as soon as you can and that will lead you to putting it behind you.

Got that? That's cool.

Okay, that's all. :ROFL:

Last edited:

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I agree, don't worry about it until the edit. "That" is one of the most commonly overused words in writing.

Have you ever read Stephen King's "Insomnia?" I swear he was trying to make a statement about his popularity with that book because I can't imagine anyone else getting away with such a vulgar overuse of "that."

King didn't get away with it, either. You should read the story of how he came to write Insomnia. The writing nearly did him in, he hates the book, and pretty much everyone else does, as well. Even King says the book is aptly named.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Got a link to Stephen King dumping on his own book? Insomnia is a horrible bore of a book. I'd like to know what King thought of "shoveling shit from a sitting position" as he once called writing.

THAT would be cool (just trying to honor the OP).

skunkmelon

Randomly curious
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferponce.com
Okay, as it applies to that, well, I do that too. I think it just shows you're ruminating and writing at the same time. Nothin' that won't come out in the wash.

In regards to Insomnia: I loved it. Haven't read it in a long while but now that you mention it, me thinks I'll go back and visit. The MC spoke to me and I loved him.

Ah well,

Jen

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Got a link to Stephen King dumping on his own book? Insomnia is a horrible bore of a book. I'd like to know what King thought of "shoveling shit from a sitting position" as he once called writing.

THAT would be cool (just trying to honor the OP).
I don't know of a link, but in "On Writing" King talks extensively about his alcoholic period and how much his writing sucked.

PGK

They put those words in my head!
Registered
Reaction score
I'd love a link also. I briefly scanned his forums and found someone who complained about Insomnia and was quickly jumped on by members who told the OP that if he doesn't know why King wrote it (or what he was trying to do with it) he shouldn't be so accusatory.

I'm glad to know he didn't get away with it either. It was starting to look like a Paris Hilton type scenario where she gets away with anything (most of the time) by virtue of her fame and money.

Still though, a simple edit of the book could remove all those needless instances of "that" and at the very least improve the writing.