Emanuel Church has a donate button on their website, if you'd like to help.

See also the Mother Emanuel Hope Fund

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Suggestions for chat room activities

I once stumbled upon the SF chat and participated. I've tried to go back on and I can't find the damned room.

I don't remember it being quite so difficult before, or I've lost some very important brain cells since then.

So, where did you hide it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Guardian View Post
    Sometimes you just gotta whip it and not care what anybody else thinks.

Now, about those sparkles of mine.. AW Moderator SaraP's Avatar
    It hasn't been going on, Syn.

There has been some interest in reviving it, though, so keep a lookout for an update regarding that.
    Lady Sparkles, SparklePony, The SparklePony of DOOOOOM, Sparkles, Sparkles McModderson, The Sparkler, Sparklegee, The Sparkling Portuguee... I think I see a pattern here. Oh, and Horny McPoarny.

We all smile in the same language

Life getting you down? Come get a pick-me-up.

There's a classical music concert going on in my head!
    Syno the other thing is the room no longer shows on the rooms list for some reason. When you sign on you have to type /join #absolutewrite. That's assuming you go on through IRC of course.
    Psychic Witness In editing hell!.

My new blog:
    https://iwritepsychicwitness.wordpre...ink-of-an-eye/

I tweet: @PsychicWitness
    @4paths2wellness

My website: www.4pathstowellness.com

Ah, that might be my problem. I'd log on and couldn't even find AW's chat room.

Thank you MrWrite, for actually being helpful. (loads of sarcasm )
    Quote Originally Posted by Guardian View Post
    Sometimes you just gotta whip it and not care what anybody else thinks.

Live a little. Write a lot. Karen Junker's Avatar
    Hey, there! I got a new computer and now, when I click on the link to the chatroom, the StarChat page is blank -- when I go to mIRC, there's no one else there! Help!
    Karen Junker
    www.CascadeWriters.com
    "Spend a passionate weekend with your muse!"

i luv you giant bear statue AW Moderator Kitty Pryde's Avatar
    I think it might be cool if we had our own little online NaNoWriMo kick-off party in chat. With write-offs and general craziness? IRL there are kick-off parties at 12:01 am November 1st, but I think lots of folks (err, like me) are not really up for traipsing about in the middle of the night. I know we're all on different time zones, but still, it would be fun.

practical experience, FTW Fenika's Avatar
    We could all sorts of NaNo fun in chat

Visit my blog: A walk-through guide to Eastern European castles.

Gardeners of AW, Unite!

(Just practicing writing the smiley code, ya know )
    Lady Sparkles, SparklePony, The SparklePony of DOOOOOM, Sparkles, Sparkles McModderson, The Sparkler, Sparklegee, The Sparkling Portuguee... I think I see a pattern here. Oh, and Horny McPoarny.

Yep, there's still some interest in getting the SF chats going. The biggest issue has been trying to garner enough interest and volunteers, and find a time that works well for most/all involved (a very hard thing to do in a community this large).

KP: I think a NaNo party would be all kinds of fun. I'm definitely up for such a thing.
    "When the snow falls and white winds blow, the lone wolf dies, but the pack survives." - Eddard Stark, A Game of Thrones

I wonder why we can't just use chatango or make our own chatroom? More hassle through IRC?
    |Website|Blog|RSS|Web Gallery|Phone:1-647-77one-2551

Quote Originally Posted by littlebear91 View Post
    I wonder why we can't just use chatango or make our own chatroom? More hassle through IRC?
    Hey Littlebear you can open your own chatroom if you wish, it's not a problem. We, AW OPs, do not stop people from doing so.
    Everything has been composed, just not yet written down.
    -- Wolfgan Amadeus Mozart (1780)

My shiny and sparkling blog!

practical experience, FTW
    Chatango is a flash-based chat site. As such, it is browser-dependent. It is different than java chats (which don't work very well) and looks a bit like the early browser-based IRC chat rooms (such as used by MSN back when there were MSN Groups). But it is based on Flash, a video-compression format owned by Adobe, Inc. YouTube and Hulu use Flash to compress their video content.

Chatango may be convenient as a social networking tool, but it is insufficient as a robust chat environment. We have yet to discover a chat environment that surpasses IRC (Internet Relay Chat) in features, controls, flexibility and security. IRC is available to any computer operating system that supports TCP/IP networking; i.e., every currently popular OS: Windows, OSX, Linux.

#AbsoluteWrite is an IRC chat channel WE created on the StarChat.net servers to enable real-time communication between Absolute Write members, to hold interviews with prominent personalities, and to host regular discussion groups.

As Lauretta says, it is simple to create a chat channel in IRC for personal or small group use. In fact, there are several such in StarChat right now. You can register your channel and it will remain there as long as it is used at least once a month. But you can create a channel for temporary use, as well, by entering one line of simple code: type /join [channel name] and you will be installed as the operator of that channel. If you do not register it, once the room is empty of chatters, it ceases to exist. I can't think of anything with fewer hassles than that.
    Last edited by Pthom; 10-21-2010 at 10:02 AM.
    ~ Vita Brevis, Ars Longa ~

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty Pryde View Post
    I think it might be cool if we had our own little online NaNoWriMo kick-off party in chat. With write-offs and general craziness? IRL there are kick-off parties at 12:01 am November 1st, but I think lots of folks (err, like me) are not really up for traipsing about in the middle of the night. I know we're all on different time zones, but still, it would be fun.
    I started a thread in the NaNo Sub-forum, here.

"Assume Good Intentions" SuperModerator Williebee's Avatar
    Thanks Ariel! I'll bring it to the board & chat Ops. (Well, actually, you just did. )

"There's a Voodoo Game on in the Crescent City. Pray for the Pawns."

"Murder at the Beach" -- Anthony Award Nominated Anthology!

Available now where all kinds of cool books are sold.
    Kobo Kindle Nook iBook
    More stories by Eldon Hughes -- "I Found A Knife"

Read the Newbie Guide.

"We are writers; we own our words. Please choose yours to add light and not just heat."

practical experience, FTW caspermac's Avatar
    I was wondering whether there was a room for discussing 'lost' books, books where you can remember the plot but not the author or title?

Quote Originally Posted by caspermac View Post
    I was wondering whether there was a room for discussing 'lost' books, books where you can remember the plot but not the author or title?
    There isn't a dedicated chat room for questions, but please feel free to pose any question related to writing or books in the main AW room. I'm sure the chatters there would like to try to help you.

You're also welcome to post your question in the AW Bookclub. Similar threads crop up quite often; it's no trouble.

Learning to read more, post less catian's Avatar
    I am new here. I was just wondering if there is a chat/lounge type where members can talk about general topics, general knowledge and everyday life.
    Thanks!
    ''as I gaze onto the stars, a light blushes pass through the skies, and comes to rest somewhere up far''----katian
    'read the writer, hear them sing!'
    'rien de perdu none de retrouve ainsi is la vie'
    'an adjective can sustain an enormous deal over a word, call in the neutral for a dash of normal'

'the world must upgrade in mentality'

There is. You can find all the info you need here. We suggest folks use their AW nick, to make it easier for us to identify them, but it is not necessary.

Bear in mind that a lot of conversations revolve around writing-related subjects, but our chat room is, for the most part, a very relaxed and laid-back sort of place -- perfect for hanging out with fellow AW'ers.

Learning to read more, post less catian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SaraP View Post
    There is. You can find all the info you need here. We suggest folks use their AW nick, to make it easier for us to identify them, but it is not necessary.

Bear in mind that a lot of conversations revolve around writing-related subjects, but our chat room is, for the most part, a very relaxed and laid-back sort of place -- perfect for hanging out with fellow AW'ers.
    SaraP thank you very much
    ''as I gaze onto the stars, a light blushes pass through the skies, and comes to rest somewhere up far''----katian
    'read the writer, hear them sing!'
    'rien de perdu none de retrouve ainsi is la vie'
    'an adjective can sustain an enormous deal over a word, call in the neutral for a dash of normal'

'the world must upgrade in mentality'

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12