Suggestions for chat room activities

Synonym

Registered
Reaction score
I once stumbled upon the SF chat and participated. I've tried to go back on and I can't find the damned room.

I don't remember it being quite so difficult before, or I've lost some very important brain cells since then.

So, where did you hide it?

SaraP

You can't forget those you've loved
Registered
Reaction score
It hasn't been going on, Syn.

There has been some interest in reviving it, though, so keep a lookout for an update regarding that.

Diana W.

I'm evolving
Registered
Reaction score
Syno the other thing is the room no longer shows on the rooms list for some reason. When you sign on you have to type /join #absolutewrite. That's assuming you go on through IRC of course.

Synonym

Registered
Reaction score
Ah, that might be my problem. I'd log on and couldn't even find AW's chat room.

Thank you MrWrite, for actually being helpful. (loads of sarcasm:) )

Karen Junker

Live a little. Write a lot.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.CascadeWriters.com
Hey, there! I got a new computer and now, when I click on the link to the chatroom, the StarChat page is blank -- when I go to mIRC, there's no one else there! Help!

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think it might be cool if we had our own little online NaNoWriMo kick-off party in chat. With write-offs and general craziness? IRL there are kick-off parties at 12:01 am November 1st, but I think lots of folks (err, like me) are not really up for traipsing about in the middle of the night. I know we're all on different time zones, but still, it would be fun.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We could all sorts of NaNo fun in chat :)

Fulk

Occasional Contributer
Registered
Reaction score
Yep, there's still some interest in getting the SF chats going. The biggest issue has been trying to garner enough interest and volunteers, and find a time that works well for most/all involved (a very hard thing to do in a community this large).

KP: I think a NaNo party would be all kinds of fun. :D I'm definitely up for such a thing.

Pthom

Word butcher
Registered
Reaction score
Chatango is a flash-based chat site. As such, it is browser-dependent. It is different than java chats (which don't work very well) and looks a bit like the early browser-based IRC chat rooms (such as used by MSN back when there were MSN Groups). But it is based on Flash, a video-compression format owned by Adobe, Inc. YouTube and Hulu use Flash to compress their video content.

Chatango may be convenient as a social networking tool, but it is insufficient as a robust chat environment. We have yet to discover a chat environment that surpasses IRC (Internet Relay Chat) in features, controls, flexibility and security. IRC is available to any computer operating system that supports TCP/IP networking; i.e., every currently popular OS: Windows, OSX, Linux.

#AbsoluteWrite is an IRC chat channel WE created on the StarChat.net servers to enable real-time communication between Absolute Write members, to hold interviews with prominent personalities, and to host regular discussion groups.

As Lauretta says, it is simple to create a chat channel in IRC for personal or small group use. In fact, there are several such in StarChat right now. You can register your channel and it will remain there as long as it is used at least once a month. But you can create a channel for temporary use, as well, by entering one line of simple code: type /join [channel name] and you will be installed as the operator of that channel. If you do not register it, once the room is empty of chatters, it ceases to exist. I can't think of anything with fewer hassles than that. :)

Last edited:

SaraP

Registered
Reaction score
I think it might be cool if we had our own little online NaNoWriMo kick-off party in chat. With write-offs and general craziness? IRL there are kick-off parties at 12:01 am November 1st, but I think lots of folks (err, like me) are not really up for traipsing about in the middle of the night. I know we're all on different time zones, but still, it would be fun.

I started a thread in the NaNo Sub-forum, here. ;)

caspermac

Registered
Reaction score
I was wondering whether there was a room for discussing 'lost' books, books where you can remember the plot but not the author or title?

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
I was wondering whether there was a room for discussing 'lost' books, books where you can remember the plot but not the author or title?

There isn't a dedicated chat room for questions, but please feel free to pose any question related to writing or books in the main AW room. I'm sure the chatters there would like to try to help you.

You're also welcome to post your question in the AW Bookclub. Similar threads crop up quite often; it's no trouble. :)

SaraP

Registered
Reaction score
There is. :) You can find all the info you need here. We suggest folks use their AW nick, to make it easier for us to identify them, but it is not necessary.

Bear in mind that a lot of conversations revolve around writing-related subjects, but our chat room is, for the most part, a very relaxed and laid-back sort of place -- perfect for hanging out with fellow AW'ers. :)

catian

Registered
Reaction score
There is. :) You can find all the info you need here. We suggest folks use their AW nick, to make it easier for us to identify them, but it is not necessary.

Bear in mind that a lot of conversations revolve around writing-related subjects, but our chat room is, for the most part, a very relaxed and laid-back sort of place -- perfect for hanging out with fellow AW'ers. :)
SaraP thank you very much:)