Tech Q about AbsoluteWrite forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoseReifsnyder

Can someone help me out? This is driving me nuts.

1 - Is there a way to automatically (and permanently) check the "Email me notification of all replies to this topic" box?

Thanks,
Rose

Lori Basiewicz

I don't know if there is or not, but if there is and you did that, wouldn't you get an e-mail any time anyone posted a reply to any topic?

RoseReifsnyder

No, it's actually a very cool and useful feature!

I manually click the box after every post (see it down there in posting options?), and then receive a note in my inbox telling me when someone responds to THIS post! The benefit is that it keeps tabs on all my posts for me.

For example, I'm here right now because I got an e-mail telling me you (well, someone) responded.

Rose

ElizabethJames

We like that feature too, but usually forget to check it.

L

RoseReifsnyder

Drat, so you haven't figured out how to automatically check it either.

Where are all the techies? I wonder if I should post this on the technical writing forum....

Rose

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
BUMP!

Just wanted to bring this up to the top. If ya'll have questions, etc...I'll either try to answer, or I'll chase down someone with better sense--I mean, greater knowledge--than me.

Rose

Escribo, entonces existo.
Registered
Reaction score
It's easy to set preferences here!

Hi everyone, I love this new home because it's very easy to set your preferences.

Here's how to automatically set whether you receive an email notification when somebody has responded to your post:

1 - Log in to AbsoluteWrite
2 - Click "User CP" under the word Forums at the top of the page
3 - Click "edit options" in the Control Panel pane
4 - Choose the "Default Thread Description Mode" that makes you happy

There's lots of other options to set here, too, such as whether you want to be invisible or receive email from the administrators.

Have fun setting your preferences!
Rose

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Another cool trick. Under the "Quick Links" tab (on the top bar), there are some of the most commonly used items. One of them is "New Posts"...

Have you ever glanced through the whole site and wondered, so many things... I just want to read the newest stuff!

Now you can. Just click on "New Posts" and it will give you a list of all the newest posts (since you last visited, I believe). The bold-faced ones are the ones you haven't read yet. It lists the topics, who posted the thread, and in what forums they are...

Neat, isn't it? Now you don't have to wade through the whole site.

JanaLanier

Snarling Cur
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janalanier.blogspot.com
Would someone explain to me the whole points thingy? I gave some, I got some, but what does it Mean? Can I give as many points as I want to?

edited to note: Found the answers on another thread. Sorry. Me are a tad thickheaded sometimes.

Last edited:

CindyBidar

Has nothing clever to say
Registered
Reaction score

Anyone know why sometimes-in a long thread-I jump right to the newest post (at the bottom) and sometimes I start out at the top of the page? I know I can click on the link at the top to go to the newest post, I'm just curious why sometimes it's automatic and other times it's not. :Shrug:

Cindy

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Cindy, I think it depends on where you click... if you click on the thread subjecdt itself, it puts you on the first page by default. If you click on the little ">" by the newest poster, or the (last page link), or something, it will take you directly to the past page. I think you can also set your user profile to display threads bottom up instead of top down.

As for the points, Jenna explained it in another thread. They're called reputation. If someone find your posts helpful and they respect your opinions (hint, hint...) you can give them reputation points. You can only give the same person points after you've given 10 other people points (that is to prevent people from fraudulently awarding points to their friends and family). Most people have enough points (10) to start with good standing. People can take away your points if they find you mean, unhelpful, rude, etc. So your points can go negative if you continue to be a bad influence on this board. I think the reputation point is to help the community to self regulate.

When you have posted over 50 times and attained over 10 reputation points, you will become a Super User (something like the "Board Regular" on the old board) and will have more features (like your own custom avatar) available to you.

CindyBidar

Registered
Reaction score
One more thing I just noticed--every time someone posts, their post count is increased, but the increase is noted on all their posts, so the first post shows the current number of posts, not "1." Hmmm...

Cindy

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Cindy, yes, that's different from the old board. But I like it. I never really understood the point of different post counts in different posts (like, why should I care if that post was this person's #1203 post, and that one was #1305). I'd rather know that person has posted a total of 5020 so he's quite active in this community...

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Heh--if you click on the list of currently active members at the bottom left of the page, it takes you to a page that tells you where everyone is...

I think Paprika pointed out that it feels a little illicit--like living without any curtains.

aka eraser

Fish Whisperer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.frankbaron.com
MacAllister said:
Heh--if you click on the list of currently active members at the bottom left of the page, it takes you to a page that tells you where everyone is...

I think Paprika pointed out that it feels a little illicit--like living without any curtains.

<insert leering smiley here> ;)

CindyBidar

Registered
Reaction score

Just now one of the "members" viewing a thread was the Ask Jeeves Spider. Does that creep anyone else out as much as it does me?
paranoid1.gif

reph

Fig of authority
Registered
Reaction score
maestrowork said:
I now see that we have a quick reply button in every post. Very handy.

I'm testing it now. It brings up a reply page, but no quicker than the other way. What is this feature, exactly?

CindyBidar

Registered
Reaction score
I think the idea is that you don't have to leave the page to reply, but you also have fewer options. If you click on the Go Advanced button, though, it will take you to the full reply page with all the bells and whistles and whirlygigs.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
reph said:
I'm testing it now. It brings up a reply page, but no quicker than the other way. What is this feature, exactly?
I think in case you don't want to "quote" anything, and you just want to reply to the post when you're reading it, it drops you down to the bottom of the page (Quick Reply) and you can start typing, without having to scroll down to the bottom and hit that "Post Reply" button.

reph

Fig of authority
Registered
Reaction score
On further investigation, the Quick Reply button duplicates the Quote button. Hovering over either of them produces the same text for "Link: blah blah" at the bottom of the screen.

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I like being able to click on a person's name and get a menu of things you can do, such as send them a message or view their profile, etc. Nice feature.

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Now this is interesting. You know how you sometimes like to respond to a long post, possibly quote sections of it?

Well, if you click on the number at the top right of the post (#25 or whatever), a new window (or tab in Firefox!!) will open containing just that single post. You can then go back to the original window/tab, click reply, and be able to jump back and forth as you compose your reply.

Neat, eh?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.