PR - 51st State?

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
From blacbird's linky:

WASHINGTON, D.C. (BNO NEWS) – The U.S. House is ready to vote on H.R. 2499, the Puerto Rico Democracy Act, the Puerto Rico Federal Affairs Administration said on Thursday.

The bill would help bring America’s promise of self-determination to the U.S. citizens of Puerto Rico for the first time in 112 years, as their ultimate status has been a long-running unresolved issue, which has consistently been a complicating factor in determining many federal policies for the island.

“For the 112 years since Puerto Rico joined the United States as a territory, the question of our ultimate political status with our country has been a lingering question,” Luis Fortuno, Governor of Puerto Rico said. “The Puerto Rico Democracy Act would ask the people of Puerto Rico what they want the territory’s political status to be through a fair, neutral and democratic process sponsored by Congress.”

So, what's your take on this, blacbird? I lived in PR for a few months, not long enough to get a sense of what folks thought about the territory issue. Heard plenty about the bombing practice, though.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
No dog in the hunt. Never visited PR. Basically I think PRans ought to have the right to choose the course of events.

I do think, however, that we should annex British Columbia.

caw

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
I don't get why it's not up to the people? Why does congress get a say whether or not they become a state? Shouldn't that be the people's choice? You know, the people who have to actually live with the decision?

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
How about giving all the occupied territories a vote for self-determination?

Including the 50 states.

escritora

Registered
Reaction score
In the past, Puerto Ricans had a choice of remaining a common wealth, becoming independent, or becoming a State. They always voted to remain a common wealth.

It sounds as their fate will be up to them this time around as well:

“The Puerto Rico Democracy Act would ask the people of Puerto Rico what they want the territory’s political status to be through a fair, neutral and democratic process sponsored by Congress.”

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
I lived in PR for a few months, not long enough to get a sense of what folks thought about the territory issue. Heard plenty about the bombing practice, though.
I spent a number of years off and on consulting in PR, during the time when they voted on this particular issue. Edit - my stats were wrong, but the winner was always no change to status.

I think if the Congress opens the pathway, then the people of Puerto Rico should be able to vote, but not go back and forth. It should be a final determination, regardless of results (esp statehood).

Last edited:

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
In the past, Puerto Ricans had a choice of remaining a common wealth, becoming independent, or becoming a State. They always voted to remain a common wealth.

It sounds as their fate will be up to them this time around as well:
What she said...

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
How about giving all the occupied territories a vote for self-determination?

Including the 50 states.
Shoot, lets include South Korea as well.

Averant

Stealer of Souls and Kittens
Registered
Reaction score
I hope they don't join. If they do, we'll lose our awesome way to remember the states. ^.^

(Fifty Nifty United States from thirteen original colonies...)

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
I hope they don't join. If they do, we'll lose our awesome way to remember the states. ^.^

(Fifty Nifty United States from thirteen original colonies...)
I'll have to relearn that song with something between Pennsylvania and Rhode Island.